• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a Tunnel Mid

zeramant861

I'm needing to get a midrange tunnel disc. The list of discs I have is in my sig. I can throw my classic roc in a tunnel, but where it's a little understable, it tends to hold the line it's released on and my form isn't finely tuned just yet. What I'm looking for is basically a 5-7 speed disc that will fly a straight line 5-10ft high, slightly stable.

I'm fairly familiar with innova discs, but not many others. I know this could be accomplished better with proper form, but I'm hoping a disc can help some in the mean time while I work on it. I've been looking at the Mako3, champion, 170-175g.

Are there any others that I should be looking at for this type of throw?

Examples:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=895&mode=hi#
Click the image to bring up the window

Pic20
Pic26/27
Pic58
Pic69

I would say Mako 3, Aurora MS, or Tangent. But if you're turning a Roc...

I got rid of my buzzes and cros and mids and replaced it with champ leopard, I never could throw those like most to get good d and accuracy but leopard has has turned into a money disc for me as a mid

I typically use my champ valk or classic roc. The problem I have is they hold the release angle perfect. I can throw a beautiful low angle anny with either RHBH, but I need something more stable that will level to stay straight til it fades. I can do it with the roc, but not consistently.

I've got a buddy that has a leopard, may steal it for a round to try it out. I tried a friend's roc3 and hated it. It just feels huge to me.

Leopard is a ridiculously long disc for me, not a mid.

Buzzz is the best in this category.

Legacy is about to release the Gauge…Rico design specifically for this purpose, I'm certain it will be tasty.

Too many candidates to mention but many have been. It is a matter of taste of grip and stability and ease of clean release and tackiness what to choose. Not mentioned other candidates are Warship and Axis with a nod to Coyote and King Cobra. The latter ones glide more and the Coyote is the fastest out of them but flip some after say 250'. KC does not but fades earlier.

My Buzzz is straight through the tunnel, then fades out into the brush at the end. If I don't have to throw it too hard, my Meteor stays straight longer. Tursas, even longer. Fugitive being the best compromise of the lot for me.

I'm a big Buzzz fan and I use it on a tunnel home at the course I play. It doesn't get me the D I'd like to see , but on that hole it's a little better to lay up and go birdie instead of going for D and tacoing on trees and bogeying or worse.

Any of the Buzzz/Axis/Roc (seasoned) should be fine, or you can go Buzzz SS/Tangent/REALLY seasoned Roc and hyzer flip it if you don't want the gentle fade at the end.

Buzzz, Buzzz, Buzzz or let's see, Buzzz.

For straight shots or slight turns nothing touches a Buzzz. If the tunnel turns hard then I move up to a driver.

And yes, I carry 4 Buzzzes in different shades of stability.

Basically your choices come down to:

Hyzer-flip something understable (Fuse, Meteor, seasoned X Comet, super-beat Roc, etc.).

Throw something straight-stable (Comet, Mako, Tangent, beat Roc) perfectly clean and flat.

Flex something stable (Buzzz, Truth, Axis, seasoned Roc, etc.)

Any of these methods can work, and each will have their advocates. You will need to experiment to find out which method works best for you. Of course having all of the options at your disposal is preferable.

For example, sometimes a particular failure mode (too much fade or too much turnover) will be more risky. For example, #6 at Seneca Creek is a classic hallway - 300' dead straight. A recovery shot is usually available if you fade left, but turning over to the right usually puts you in jail. I usually flex something reasonably stable and take my chances with the fade. Other holes at Seneca have an OB creek on the left, so I will hyzer-flip something understable and take my chances with too much turnover.

I hope that helps.

there are alot of choices out there what i use is a SGM for shots like that or hyzer flip a flying squirrel.

On a related note...

The ability to hit a line with a disc which flies flat and straight is a skill which, when acquired, skyrockets a player's overall competency. Good Pros can do this with a putter or mid or driver. If you are not yet an accomplished Pro then this is a skill you want.

A good way to acquire this skill is to start with a disc which is a natural straight flier (like a Buzzz for instance) and take a stack out to practice. Don't worry about distance, instead try to throw a perfectly flat, straight line. Once you can do this, then work on hitting a line and still making it go dead nuts flat. With practice you can do this. When you can do this you are a stud and your competitors will fear you.

In this way a Buzzz is not just a great disc but a great teaching tool. Learn to pure your Buzzz.

^^^ I used to do this with Opto Fuses at a field, which worked very well except in breezy conditions. My choice of midrange for holding a line is now a Proton Tangent, because it will not deviate from the line it's thrown on, come what may. Understable?...wind?...untimely turn? Nope, the gyro design/effect completely negates this. The Tangent is by far the straightest flying and finishing midrange I've ever thrown...and I've thrown most. It also has a beveled putter-type edge which only adds to its perfectly neutral flight.

I have been a Buzz z flat top high plh well concave wing fan since the first run. In the winter flx for tackiness and in headwinds beefy ti or glo z. I agree with what Mark wrote in his previous post and have trained to do just that. I believe in keeping it simple. Believe it. Nerding it out has a place. It is called anywhere but on the tee or while throwing. Because imo a laser is the easiest shot planning wise as long as you have the skills and suitable discs for the winds it is only a matter of execution if you succeed or not. It might sound like a lot but it will come with practice and high enough hss for safety margin makes learning and throwing easier by a mile. Hence Buzzes of the beefier to z kind. But a Neutron Tangent is a faster Buzz and equally worthy of bagging as a Buzz of faster and longer kind. It grips similarly. It is slick though but luckily flx Buzz is so close to it that they handle the tunnel mid duty beautifully together.

The Tangent should be slower and shorter than a Buzzz, by design. Narrower rim, putter leading edge. It may seem faster due to less glide, but I can't get them out quite as far as a Buzzz. That's when I go with the Axis, a true Buzzz counterpart. The Tangent really seems like a faster, less floaty putter hybrid to me.

A Buzzz will fade. You can minimize the fade by subtle release angle adjustment, but it's designed to have some fade. It would not be my choice for a truly straight tunnel shot, start to finish, because to get a reasonably straight finish it has to be turned over slightly and allowed to work its way back at the end. Flat Z Buzzz comes closest to a straight flight though.

Aurora MS, Mako/Mako3, and Tangent for dead straight flight.

BentElbow11 said:
A Buzzz will fade. You can minimize the fade by subtle release angle adjustment, but it's designed to have some fade. It would not be my choice for a truly straight tunnel shot, start to finish, because to get a reasonably straight finish it has to be turned over slightly and allowed to work its way back at the end. Flat Z Buzzz comes closest to a straight flight though.
This is why I am not understanding the Buzzz recs. No Buzzz I've ever seen will fly down a tunnel, then land there. You're now in the woods faced with some kind of flick or overhead. Buzzz SS maybe, but I have zero experience with those.

PMantle said:
BentElbow11 said:
This is why I am not understanding the Buzzz recs. No Buzzz I've ever seen will fly down a tunnel, then land there. You're now in the woods faced with some kind of flick or overhead. Buzzz SS maybe, but I have zero experience with those.

Buzzz is hugely popular, which explains it. Yes, they will fade a little as they slow down. A Buzzz SS would be the better choice for a tunnel shot with a straight finish. Z Buzzz SS is much like an Opto Fuse, but straighter, and it can take more power than the Fuse.

Our new woods holes have three almost dead straight tunnels, and I'm still holding tryouts. Looking like I need: a straighter Leo than the one I have, as it fades out at the end like a Buzzz, and then I need to figure out the right anny to keep my Meteor going left without going to ground.

Latest posts