• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

need another mid range

leftyone

Birdie Member
so my wasps have turned stable on me making them another buzzz. I'm looking for suggestions on an overstable mid. not particular on brand just something overstable. I have a drone which i don't throw often but my go in my bag if i don't find something

well, there are two schools of thought on very overstable (anything more overstable than a fresh roc) midranges.

The first one is that they are necessary utility discs for get out of trouble, high winds, doglegs etc.

The second school of though (the one I subscribe to) is that very overstable mids are unnecessary and the shots they cover can be better accomplished by an overstable fairway driver.

I prefer powering down a fairway driver because: Overstable fairway drivers penetrate wind much better due to a more aerodynamic shape, and it keeps another mold out of my bag.

since you're from niagara falls, im assuming your "home course" is beaver island? seeing as it is of the niagara river and wind is common the drone seems to be a suitable os mid. idk but alot of the discraft pros from michigan and those areas seem to really like the drone as wind is very common.

since you're from niagara falls, im assuming your "home course" is beaver island? seeing as it is of the niagara river and wind is common the drone seems to be a suitable os mid. idk but alot of the discraft pros from michigan and those areas seem to really like the drone as wind is very common.

I'm from the Falls and my homecourse is Joseph Davis. Less than 10 minutes away.

If you liked the Wasp, maybe get a new one? I use a Hornet for my windy midrange.

The biggest problem for me when powering down a driver is I get a lot of huge unpredictable skips.

xXx - it is my goto disc for when i need something overstable as hell, if wind is involved, or if just want to low ceiling layup skip

I use an ESP Zone for this slot. I went from a Wasp, to a Hornet, to realizing that the Zones I was carrying could make it almost as far, and if they couldn't, my Predator could take it from there. I eliminated the 'overstable mid' slot after coming to that conclusion, and it hasn't hurt my game at all.

I'd suggest a Drone. I use a drone and a buzz but the drone gets more use. As my friend who loves the drone says, it's a magical disc, and I have to agree with him!

What's wrong with the Wasp? Is it just beat in? What plastic was it? If it wasn't Z, why not a brand new Z one? Then you don't have to learn a new mold.

Hornet. Its a little more overstable than the Wasp and a perfect compliment to the Buzzz.

^^^winner^^^

Yup. Just got an Ace Race Hornet and I am really enjoying it

Add me to the Hornet gang; but any good disc is going to break in

I had got myself a few ace race ESP Hornets and was concerned as my most used started getting straighter and straighter; especially since I haven't heard anything about production run ESPs, so I finally threw a Z and I was actually very pleasantly surprised to see it fly very close to how my ESP one did when new.

With the one being straight and a fresh one being moderately overstable still; it is teaming nicely with my Fuses. It really is like a Roc/Comet combo but with a different feel and the Hornets are a little more OS than the Roc when new.

well, there are two schools of thought on very overstable (anything more overstable than a fresh roc) midranges.

The first one is that they are necessary utility discs for get out of trouble, high winds, doglegs etc.

The second school of though (the one I subscribe to) is that very overstable mids are unnecessary and the shots they cover can be better accomplished by an overstable fairway driver.

I prefer powering down a fairway driver because: Overstable fairway drivers penetrate wind much better due to a more aerodynamic shape, and it keeps another mold out of my bag.

I'm from the first school of thought. There's nothing quite as madding for me as trying to power down a fairway with a nice head wind blowing in face only to realize you put just a little too much power on it and either blow by or take a huge skip past where you want to be. I would rather throw the same line at full power knowing ful well that I won't blow past the basket, and if you get a FLX Drone, no skip.

Now I do power down my trident a lot, but it is mainly for skip shots that the drone won't do. I hear people on here talk about there is no need for an overstable mid, and if you do use one you have terrible OAT, well say unto those, neigh. If I'm not carrying a back-up of every drive I own, or one that's worn, one that's beat, one that's used, and one that's fresh, I don't worry about adding one more disc to my bag.