• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with uphill forehand shots

GLong

* Ace Member *
My RHFH is coming along pretty well but I'm struggling with shots that play uphill off the tee. Specifically hole 5 at my local course, Druid Hill. Check out the attached pic. The gap isnt quite as open as it appears in the picture but there is still plenty of room for a strong shot. In the A and B positions I can work a backhand, but the C position (top of the hill right side next to tree line) and new D (same line but ~50 feet deeper slight dogleg right to sloped green) are much easier for me to reach with a FH.

I've had some great drives on it recently but it's certainly not consistent. Usually I either:
1. Throw it really well, plenty of speed, super smooth, but too flat and land it maybe 60% of the way up the hill or
2. Throw it crappy, too nose up, and hit the first tree on left or go into the woods.

I usually throw a Star Wraith for this shot. My best drives have had a medium amount of hyzer and will hold it all the way uphill before fading. I think the problem is my release point. I feel like I need to keep the disc higher on reachback and release(mid-torso to just above shoulder) as opposed to a flat FH shot, where it's more like hip to pec.

Maybe something less stable but with more hyzer so that it can flip a little, generate some lift, and allow me to throw closer to my regular form as opposed to trying to release it so much higher than I normally would?

Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• druid hole 5.jpg
    druid hole 5.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 62
I'd try to split the trees.

Looks like a decent line there or throw a FH hyzer around the large tree.

theres room on the far left side but it leaves you too far from the pin to make it worthwhile. Thats a good shot for the B position (left side top of hill) but for C/D you gotta put it on the right side. C is very birdieable and D just takes more height and a little more skip to have a decent look at it. The D is definitely a tough par 3.

Splitting the trees isnt really an option as that gap has filled in a good bit and has a somewhat low ceiling.

I know what shot works - Ive parked the C position several times recently and given myself good looks at D. I just need help figuring out how to execute the shot better, or if I need to try a different disc/modify the shot.

BH roller is the way to go if you are trying to park D pin. I might have gotten a FH shot within 30' once teeing from the path, its a really tough shot to make though with low ceiling, then steep uphill and basket to the right. Skips don't work well on that hill.

It's pretty hard to tell just how tall the trees are from the pic. Are they too prohibitive for a high, anhyzer flex over the top?

Yea Ive seen some rollers on it but mine is still a work in progress so the FH is my best option at this point. Plus the grass is still a bit tall right now. By the end of June it should be fairly matted down, plus the ground will be dried out and rollers will be much easier and more productive :)

Unless you are playing to B position the right fairway is definitely the way to go. From the long tee a super high turnover shot seems to be the choice for most of the big arms. From this tee, though, its tricky because you have to stay out of the tree line on the right. This picture is several years old, so there are a lot of small branches and such that can snag your drive.

buzzinb: the trees are pretty high. That shot can work but since the pin is deep right from the tree line i believe its better to stsick to the right fairway. For the B position I think that would be a good shot though.

I'm thinking about trying the same shot that I have been but with a Sidewinder instead of wraith. I think that if I throw it with a stupid amount of hyzer it will flip up a bit, generate some lift, but not completely flip flat and hold the hyzer uphill. Ive been working on hyzers with sidewinders backhand and I think it might work for this shot too.