• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. I wish I had gotten the elite instead of the regular. When mine started falling apart the elites weren't on sale and I snagged a fade tourney with rainfly shoulder straps off ebay for 45 shipped so that's been working for now. When the elites go half price in September I plan to pick one up for diy mark II. I might cut out the inside of the big front pocket to make a pass through and keep the center of gravity low like the one a few pages back. Not sure I want to sacrifice the misc storage space though.

Just ordered my Elite from target $22 and change... Now just have to wait for it. Def going to be modding and adding some sort of beverage storage. Can't wait!!!!!

OK, so here is the first modification I've made, and how to construct my version of the frame. You will need 10' of 1/2" PVC, cut up as follows:

5x 4 1/2" pieces to build front to back cross members
4x 4 1/4" pieces to build the horizontal base
4x 2 1/2" pieces for vertical risers to second set of front to back supports
2x 9 3/4" pieces for horizontal cross members/disc supports
4x 4 1/8" pieces for rear vertical supports and diagonal pieces.
8x 1 1/4" pieces to join PVC elbows directly together

10 1/2" PVC Tees
4 1/2" Side discharge elbows
2 1/2" 90 degree elbows
4 1/2" 45 degree elbows

After cutting the pipe in half to get it home, and making a few errors, I was left with less than a foot of pipe left over, so make sure you buy the whole 10' section (Lowes had 5' sections, and I almost bought one of those until I noticed that 10' was only 42 cents more).

After building the frame outside the bag I discovered that it would not fit into the bag, so if you follow my plan you'll need to build the base and the first set of risers and add them the bag, then add the second set of supports from front to back with a set of 1 1/4" supports. Then add the cross pieces with the disc supports. Finally add the last vertical pieces with the 45 degree elbows.

IMG_20150219_194133012_zpsa46f3d15.jpg

A couple more shots:

IMG_20150219_195156085_zps69103596.jpg

IMG_20150219_203417438_zpsb64611bd.jpg

In the pocket with the blue champ Teebird are 3 more utility type discs I use. The bag gives me access to my putters and main utility disc quickly and easily, and I can reach all the discs in the top pocket without bending down too far. The bag holds a total of 21 discs, and would have room for 2 more up top if I wanted.

Last edited:
Bags

Just made 2 of these bags today. First i went to target and found 2 of these backpacks left in the store for $24 a pc. I took them to customer service and were able to get them for the on line price of $18 a pc. Then i went to home depost and did not like their selection of pvc parts so I then went to menards and purchased what I needed. They did not have any of the three way corner pcs so I had to modify the frame some at a little more cost, and bought plasti-spray. So all in total and including tax, I spent $60 for 2 bags, all i have left to do is spray the bottoms tomorrow. Will take some pics once done. I'm very happy with this set up.

Lowes is the only place I found the side discharge elbows. Anderson's, Home Depot and Menards all don't stock them.

I'd love to see how you modded the frame.

My next change will be to add a chest strap. I'll post pics once I'm done.

Have you tried setting it down on uneven surfaces? I ended up having to drop my discs fired a couple inches because it rooted over too easily but I think the elite is deeper front to back so maybe it's more stable

FWIW, When I tried out the Elite, I just remove the clip from a legal size clipboard and slid it into the padded computer slot so it lies up against your back... Made it sit better on my back and gave it stability at a fraction of the weight (and cost) of a PVC frame, and essentially no loss of capacity.

Have you tried setting it down on uneven surfaces? I ended up having to drop my discs fired a couple inches because it rooted over too easily but I think the elite is deeper front to back so maybe it's more stable
Nope, it's too snowy to even think about discing right now. Last year I wrenched my back trying to run up on an icy teepad (stupid, I know...). I'm not about to run the risk of missing time in my hockey season to indulge my other addiction when I can just wait a couple weeks and get back to discing safely and comfortably. If the bag is top heavy, my plan is to fill the base with sand. If that doesn't add enough weight I'm going to buy some bulk birdshot, fill the base with that and cap it with expanding foam to keep it from rattling around. I have to think that one method or the other will work to get my C.O.G low enough to stand upright.

If you're already not planning to use that space for storage, I might suggest shortening the lower part of your frame rather than adding a bunch of dead weight that could tire you out on long rounds. On my build the discs weren't any harder to get in/out with the tops of the discs a few inches down from the opening than they were right at the top.

Heres my mini simian stool style next to the original pvc u shaped mod from the early pages of this thread.

I have been wanting a simian for a while, but cannot bite the price, and worry about the capacity. I love GB and have two of his bags and almost feel bad that I have been contemplating making my own stool bag.

My wife made me a bag between my large capacity gorilla and my squirell monkey (both of which are 8 years old now!). I have been wanting another one. I think I will be having to make it myself this time, maybe let her do the sewing though. :doh:

Here's the bag!

Built the pvc frame and sprayed the bottom with plasti-dip. I plan on its maiden voyage tomorrow, tracking it through the snow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 170
This might be the best DIY bag I've ever seen and it's cheap. I think I'm going to try to order one and start my new project bag this week! Thanks for the heads up from long ago! Lol

I can fit 16 comfortably, 18 if it's more drivers than mids. I'm not sure if the deluxe is any larger in the main compartment.

Not only that, but I have plenty of room under the frame for a bluetooth speaker, med kit, Ript deck, climbers chalk, etc, so I can use both front pockets for discs. I put up to 4 discs that are auditioning for spots in my bag in the middle pocket, and 2 putters in the front. There's all the room a causal to intermediate player will need in this puppy.

Latest posts