• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New golfer, did I make the right purchase?

GarrettK

I started playing leisurely about a few years ago never even really knew anything about disc golf. Once I started playing I found out how to throw sidearm and was able to out-drive those whom I played with ease using whatever discs that were at my disposal. I now have been looking into trying to take disc golfing a little more serious just because it's fun to be competitive at something as I already play the video game Madden competitively around the country.

So I just finally made my first purchase of 3 new discs. After reading some reviews on Innova and Amazon I went with the Innova GStar TeeBird 165-170g which I heard is better in wooded areas in which there is ton of those down here in south florida, the Innova Blizzard Champion Boss 130-140g so that I can finally throw 300+ feet I don't believe I touch 300 feet or close yet but after reading reviews this disc can help with that and the Star San Marino Roc 170-175g for my putting and lay up game.

Did I make the right choice on my first purchase of discs? Is there anything else I should look into purchasing in the future? Also is there any disc golfers down here in south florida??

...the Innova Blizzard Champion Boss 130-140g so that I can finally throw 300+ feet I don't believe I touch 300 feet or close yet but after reading reviews this disc can help with that and the Star San Marino Roc 170-175g for my putting and lay up game.

Yeah, I'm sure that Boss will definitely help your distance. :|

You could use a putter, rather than trying to putt with a Roc.

I believe I have a basic putter in my bag. I just thought to get the Roc to try hit a putt from a distance. That is the hardest part for me being able to hit a long putt.

And everyone else on the planet! :)

Haha! Very true! I don't know I have been looking at some of these youtube disc golfers making it look easy lol. My easy 3 sometimes goes to a 4-5 because I overshoot a putt gets me very irritated lol.

I will be trying out my discs this weekend and I will be recording some footage of using them, so I will be posting them once they are uploaded.

Get a regular putter. Aviars are nice in DX, and easy to find. Get 2-3 of them for practicing. Faster discs won't help with longer putts. Putting practice will.

Get rid of the Boss.

Get a Champ/Star Leopard to pair with your Teebird.

Keep the Roc.

If you're barely hitting 300', the Boss isn't your friend. Work on form with the Leopard/Teebird combo, and you'll be hitting further distances with those discs than you were with the Boss.

Start learning backhand. Unless you're a physical freak, you'll have more distance potential. It'll piss you off at first, but you'll be thankful later.

BTW, these are all mistakes I made when starting out as well. I putted with a BuzzzSS for my first summer.

Last edited:
Get a regular putter. Aviars are nice in DX, and easy to find. Get 2-3 of them for practicing. Faster discs won't help with longer putts. Putting practice will.

Get rid of the Boss.

Get a Champ/Star Leopard to pair with your Teebird.

Keep the Roc.

If you're barely hitting 300', the Boss isn't your friend. Work on form with the Leopard/Teebird combo, and you'll be hitting further distances with those discs than you were with the Boss.

Start learning backhand. Unless you're a physical freak, you'll have more distance potential. It'll piss you off at first, but you'll be thankful later.

BTW, these are all mistakes I made when starting out as well. I putted with a BuzzzSS for my first summer.

To be honest I really don't know how far I am throwing.

I have never measured I just know everyone who I have played all of them have played longer than I have and out drive them on every fairway by a ton.

I also will be working on my backhand this weekend. I've been watching a ton of tutorials to help with that. It will be much better to be able to master both the sidearm and backhand depending on the placement of the hole.

Is there a way that you measure how far you can throw?

To be honest I really don't know how far I am throwing.

I have never measured I just know everyone who I have played all of them have played longer than I have and out drive them on every fairway by a ton.

I also will be working on my backhand this weekend. I've been watching a ton of tutorials to help with that. It will be much better to be able to master both the sidearm and backhand depending on the placement of the hole.

Is there a way that you measure how far you can throw?

Go to a football field that's marked. Or get a 300' measuring tape.

Don't trust tee signs. They're wrong more often than they're right.

Go to a football field that's marked. Or get a 300' measuring tape.

Don't trust tee signs. They're wrong more often than they're right.

Very smart.

I feel I have the intangibles to be good at this, but I just really need to practice a lot.

Looking to start going every weekend to get at least one round in.

Very smart.

I feel I have the intangibles to be good at this, but I just really need to practice a lot.

Looking to start going every weekend to get at least one round in.

If you get truly hooked, you'll be looking for a way to get out every day.

Practice is the only way to get better.

If you get truly hooked, you'll be looking for a way to get out every day.

Practice is the only way to get better.

If I didn't work until 5 pm and have my duties at home with the fiancee and daughter I would be out there every day lol

So say I am throwing around 300' the Boss still will not help my distance?

If I didn't work until 5 pm and have my duties at home with the fiancee and daughter I would be out there every day lol

I throw over 400' (barely), and I don't carry any discs over speed 10.

Tweak that form.

This is all BH, of course, but the principles would apply to FH, as well.

Hey Garret, not to sidetrack too much but do you actually make $ playing Madden competitively?

I have made a couple thousand when I attended tournaments and played frequently.

Now since I am not 19-20 years old anymore I don't have the time and money to travel all over and play for countless hours.

I know a bunch that just got flown out to Burbank, California this weekend to have a seat to play for $50,000 at the Superbowl in 2 weeks with hotel and airfare all paid for.

I throw over 400' (barely), and I don't carry any discs over speed 10.

Tweak that form.

This is all BH, of course, but the principles would apply to FH, as well.

I just hope I didn't completely waste money on the Boss though.

I just hope I didn't completely waste money on the Boss though.

I'd stay away from the Blizzard discs, in general, as a younger guy.

Personal preference for me: 175 putters, 175-180 mids, 170ish drivers.

Everybody has different preferences, though.

I'd stay away from the Blizzard discs, in general, as a younger guy.

Personal preference for me: 175 putters, 175-180 mids, 170ish drivers.

Everybody has different preferences, though.

Why do you stay away and use the heavier disc for your driver?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just starting so I am not sure what's what yet.

There is no magical elixir in distance drivers that make them go any farther than slower discs. Your arm (and the rest of your body) has to provide that to make it happen. When you're new to disc sports, you need to learn how to throw properly using slower plastic. If you weren't an athletically inclined person to begin with, the learning curve is going to go even slower.

Generally a distance driver in a new players hands provides inconsistent and frustrating results, even moreso when its super light weight. Its possible that Boss could be of some use to you down the road, but perhaps trading it for something more practical in the short run might be a good idea.

Why do you stay away and use the heavier disc for your driver?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just starting so I am not sure what's what yet.

No worries.

Heavier discs hold up better to wind. They're a bit easier to control, in general.