• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Innova Discatcher baskets?

skirk1984

Hi All, I was reading another thread and noticed a mention of a new "Innova Discatcher Pro 24" model that was recently approved by the PDGA. Did some googling and found that indeed this was approved on 12/19 and also a "Innova Discatcher Super Sport" which sounds like an update to current Sport practice model.

Here is the link: http://www.pdga.com/files/pdga_approved_targets_121916.pdf

Does any one else have more info on either of these targets? Pictures? Release date? Looking through the specs, it appears they are going with 18 outer and 6 inner chain config?

Thanks!

"The Discatcher SuperSport Portable is designed for serious practice and as an option for tournament play. The two-piece pipe allows for quick assembly and take down, making it easier to transport. The powered coated top has 18 outer chains and 6 inner chains- great for stopping those cut-through putts. A beefy galvanized base and catching basket are engineered for durability and travel to your favorite spot"

Hi All, I was reading another thread and noticed a mention of a new "Innova Discatcher Pro 24" model that was recently approved by the PDGA. Did some googling and found that indeed this was approved on 12/19 and also a "Innova Discatcher Super Sport" which sounds like an update to current Sport practice model.

Here is the link: http://www.pdga.com/files/pdga_approved_targets_121916.pdf

Does any one else have more info on either of these targets? Pictures? Release date? Looking through the specs, it appears they are going with 18 outer and 6 inner chain config?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure that is a misprint and that it is actually the Pro 28. I used to have the Sport and it was great altho I felt it could have used more chains. But for putting practice it was terrific. I setup an 18 hole putting course in my backyard and I cannot count the number of skins games, tourneys, not to mention rounds we played with that thing. I ended up selling it a couple years ago in a yard sale for almost nothing because I moved and had nowhere to put it plus had shoulder surgery on my throwing arm.

But today I got the itch to buy a new basket. After several hours of research I came across the MVP Black Hole Pro. I watched several videos on it and it seems great so I ordered one on ebay for $139 and free shipping. I think MVP sells it for 169 or so plus shipping. Its also 60 bucks cheaper than the Innova Sport and hundreds cheaper than the Pro 28. But obviously the Pro 28 is a professional grade basket. I guess it depends on what you are actually wanting to use it for. But for the backyard I couldnt see spending over $400 for a practice basket. I am a firm believer tho in spending money for what you really want. If you really want a pro grade basket then do it up. My MVP will be here next week and I will post my thoughts on it. $139 seems like a steal tho. They do have a Pro HD model that has 6 more chains but meh for $60 more I can just add more myself. The only con I see so far tho is I dont like the black color so I may end up painting it. Other than that I am super excited for it to get here. I have spent so much cash in the last week between plastic, a Rebel V4 backpack, and this basket its kinda crazy. But it feels good to spend my money on the sport that I love so much!!

Here is a link to the Pro 28 on Innova's site...http://www.innovadiscs.com/innova-targets/discatcher-pro-28/

Hmm, I don't think it is a misprint. They have both the DC 28 and DC 24 models listed with different approval dates and configuration specs.

Hmm, I don't think it is a misprint. They have both the DC 28 and DC 24 models listed with different approval dates and configuration specs.

The original DC had 24 strands of chains. The current model has 28.

A new portable model also with 24 chains will be coming out to compliment their DC Sport.

My SuperSport should be here today. If it isn't pouring, it'll see its first putts tonight. Will report back.

KP

UPS is on the ball! Basket was at the house as promised. Rain held off too.

Initial impressions:
-Heavy box, 55#
-Easy one person assembly, 1/2" deep well socket was helpful. This model uses SS carriage bolts for all the connections, which are a huge improvement over the Sport.
-Immediately obvious that this is substantially stronger than a sport. Much heavier gauge base, pole, basket, and top assembly. The chain gauge is similar to the Sport, but galvanized. Came with a small packet of silicone lubricant which was recommended between the painted top assembly and pole. Mine likely won't be disassembled, but I used the grease anyways.
-The plastic/foam wrap that comes on the chains is a PITA to remove, but not a dealbreaker, and it likely protects the paint during transport.

Full disclosure, I paid $200 for a F2 SuperSport with the disclaimer that rusting might be expected due to a manufacturing issue. At that price point, this is a hell of a basket. More on this later. For putting reference, I got in 2-300 putts yesterday, so that is the current sample size. I putt hard with some hyzer. My putters are Prodigy PA1s, in 300 and 350G.

The SuperSport is a nice looking model. I really like the heft of the lower components. Feels like 9/10 of a Discatcher Pro. The chain assembly is improved over the Sport, and reminds me of a cross between a Mach2 and a Mach3. I can't remember if the Mach2 "new" has some inner chains or not, as it has been a while since I've seen one.

Putting thoughts:
-Seems like Innova designed this basket to address the most glaring weakness of the Sport, which, IMO, is the tendency of nicely centered putts to go all the way through the chains and out the back. Regardless of how hard I putted, and some intentional close range blasts, I had ZERO putts go out the back side.
-This thing absolutely lassos right side putts. I feel like this is the best catching right perimeter basket I have used.
-Design of the chain hangers (outside row) is same as Sport, meaning loops rather than slide rails. Coupled with the added weight of the extra/heavier chain, the Super Sport does not like high putts, no matter how centered. While I don't love this aspect, it doesn't make the product a bad investment.
-The inner chains are free to slide the entire length of the spokes/rods from the rounder center band to the outer ring. They seem to want to hang about midways on their own accord. I was leery of this at first, but it did not seem to be an issue. This can mean that the inner chains can hang much closer to the pole a the bottom, leading to.....
-The added inner chains help, but don't prevent pole outs. I had several. Maybe 6 total. Again, I putt hard, and this is somewhat expected on a mid-level unit. I would say that 4/6 were 50/50 when I let them go, meaning I thought they felt too hard, but could have stuck. 2/6 felt good and got rejected.
-Like the Sport, the SuperSport chains will hold discs between the chains and the pole. Not an issue for me, but it can happen, and affect the catching performance when not removed.
-The strangest thing to me is that the basket caught much better for me in the 25+ foot range than inside 20'. Very few surprises on longer putts. Kind of uncanny. Would indicate that I need to better weight my putts at short range on the SuperSport.

All in all, I am most pleased with the new model, at the price I paid for it. I likely wouldn't pay more than $250 for another, given my limited experience with it, and putting style. That being said, I will have no problem using it on the home course, and it represents a great increase in quality (both build and catching) over the Sport model.

I did take pictures, and if there is something specific you would like to see, PM me and I will pass them along.

Mud

Here are pictures of my F2 Discatcher SuperSport. It is definitely beefy, pictures are comparisons to the Hive double chain basket. The base is hot dip galvanized and is very sturdy. The basket is the same. The poles appear to be essentially the same as a new fence post, should be durable. Chains are hot dipped, which was key for me. Very excited about that at this price point. The top is yellow powder coated, so there's no way for me to know if it's hot dipped or electroplate or nothing underneath. Since that part is why this is F2, I plan to add clear coat a few times a year to protect it anyway.

Only worry I have is the S-hooks might be electroplate so they'll rust eventually and rust anything it contacts. Will be confirming that and the chain rack by email to Innova.

It went together pretty easy. The weight makes this not the most portable basket. If you're looking for portability, it shouldn't be your top pick. If you're looking to leave a basket outside and not worry about it, this is a good basket that should compete with Dynamic's new Patriot.

The poles are open on the inside at the bottom, so it could be adapted to permanent installation if desired.

Really, if the chain rack is indeed hot dipped underneath the powder coating this basket should last as long as the top tiers and really the only difference is the chain assembly in comparison. Curious to see the final price for non-F2's.

I bought 9 for my home course and have only unpacked 1. I will report back if there's any consistency issues after unpacking the rest.

These look, and sound, like a really good improvement over the sport.
One thing that always struck me was how loud the Sport was....are these about the same, or does the pole/chain change mute them a bit?

Comparing side by side to my sport now, the super sport has a noticeably lower pitch. It's still not as quiet as some baskets, I think due to chain configuration and more pole to chain interaction. But is quieter than the sport for sure

Yep, the noise is more similar to a traditional permanent basket. Mine squeaks a little as the chains settle, but I look for that to lessen over time. I got in another 200 putts or so last night. Still ZERO blow throughs. I did see a putt knock a putter that was hanging inside the chains out the side, which was (maybe) the first time I have seen that happen. I remain pleased with the SuperSport for what I paid for it, and curious about what the non-F2 price will be.

Mud

Tbr75, excellent review and pictures, thank you. It looks like the chain hanger brackets are made of larger/heavier rod material than the older Discatcher sport?? If so, that would be a good thing. With my Discatcher Sport I have had some issues with longer putts bending the chain hanger loops, a problem that I have since resolved by adding a rubber bumper around those loops which also protects discs when they hit them. Once again, great job on your review and photos!

Tbr75, excellent review and pictures, thank you. It looks like the chain hanger brackets are made of larger/heavier rod material than the older Discatcher sport?? If so, that would be a good thing. With my Discatcher Sport I have had some issues with longer putts bending the chain hanger loops, a problem that I have since resolved by adding a rubber bumper around those loops which also protects discs when they hit them. Once again, great job on your review and photos!

Late response, but yes it is a heavier gauge rod on the Super Sport.

I'm still enjoying practicing on my Super Sport side by side with the Sport. As mentioned before high putts are a no go on this basket but some do manage to go in. I've only had one cut through, it made me think a small modification that better centers the inside chains could do a small bit of good.

Bump

UPS is on the ball! Basket was at the house as promised. Rain held off too.

Initial impressions:
-Heavy box, 55#
-Easy one person assembly, 1/2" deep well socket was helpful. This model uses SS carriage bolts for all the connections, which are a huge improvement over the Sport.
-Immediately obvious that this is substantially stronger than a sport. Much heavier gauge base, pole, basket, and top assembly. The chain gauge is similar to the Sport, but galvanized. Came with a small packet of silicone lubricant which was recommended between the painted top assembly and pole. Mine likely won't be disassembled, but I used the grease anyways.
-The plastic/foam wrap that comes on the chains is a PITA to remove, but not a dealbreaker, and it likely protects the paint during transport.

Full disclosure, I paid $200 for a F2 SuperSport with the disclaimer that rusting might be expected due to a manufacturing issue. At that price point, this is a hell of a basket. More on this later. For putting reference, I got in 2-300 putts yesterday, so that is the current sample size. I putt hard with some hyzer. My putters are Prodigy PA1s, in 300 and 350G.

The SuperSport is a nice looking model. I really like the heft of the lower components. Feels like 9/10 of a Discatcher Pro. The chain assembly is improved over the Sport, and reminds me of a cross between a Mach2 and a Mach3. I can't remember if the Mach2 "new" has some inner chains or not, as it has been a while since I've seen one.

Putting thoughts:
-Seems like Innova designed this basket to address the most glaring weakness of the Sport, which, IMO, is the tendency of nicely centered putts to go all the way through the chains and out the back. Regardless of how hard I putted, and some intentional close range blasts, I had ZERO putts go out the back side.
-This thing absolutely lassos right side putts. I feel like this is the best catching right perimeter basket I have used.
-Design of the chain hangers (outside row) is same as Sport, meaning loops rather than slide rails. Coupled with the added weight of the extra/heavier chain, the Super Sport does not like high putts, no matter how centered. While I don't love this aspect, it doesn't make the product a bad investment.
-The inner chains are free to slide the entire length of the spokes/rods from the rounder center band to the outer ring. They seem to want to hang about midways on their own accord. I was leery of this at first, but it did not seem to be an issue. This can mean that the inner chains can hang much closer to the pole a the bottom, leading to.....
-The added inner chains help, but don't prevent pole outs. I had several. Maybe 6 total. Again, I putt hard, and this is somewhat expected on a mid-level unit. I would say that 4/6 were 50/50 when I let them go, meaning I thought they felt too hard, but could have stuck. 2/6 felt good and got rejected.
-Like the Sport, the SuperSport chains will hold discs between the chains and the pole. Not an issue for me, but it can happen, and affect the catching performance when not removed.
-The strangest thing to me is that the basket caught much better for me in the 25+ foot range than inside 20'. Very few surprises on longer putts. Kind of uncanny. Would indicate that I need to better weight my putts at short range on the SuperSport.

All in all, I am most pleased with the new model, at the price I paid for it. I likely wouldn't pay more than $250 for another, given my limited experience with it, and putting style. That being said, I will have no problem using it on the home course, and it represents a great increase in quality (both build and catching) over the Sport model.

I did take pictures, and if there is something specific you would like to see, PM me and I will pass them along.

Mud

Bump for kick-a$$ write-up, solid review! Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks.

Latest posts