• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player from Sweden - Need some buying tips

KJack

Hello!

I've been throwing now for 2 weeks and It's really addicting! I've looked up many videos and searched on google about the sport and this forum comes up a lot so it seems like a good place to join.
I would like to get some tips on what to buy next, I do have a general idea through some research but any input would be a great help!
I'm RHBH thrower and I'm currently training my forehand form also. I would also like to add that I'm quite tall, 6'9/205cm, so I can put some power behind my shots. Though I don't usually go all out atm while I'm trying to learn correct form.
Also my local main course is a heavily wooded, high elevation difference, 9 hole with only par 3, so its mainly a finesse course though there is 2 holes wich are around 295'/300meters with a bunch of trees in the way so it plays longer.

The discs I have right now are: DX Aviar - Westside Warship - Champion Katana

I average +1 on my course with these atm and they fly good. The katana was very over-stable for me in the start but now when my form is a little better its starting to flip a bit more for me.

I want to add 3 more discs and have decided to stay within the Westside brand for consistency and supporting my most local disc makers, here is what I have picked out atm:

Swan 2 soft - Since I have my Aviar which I sometimes use for approaches I want a more soft inside putter.

Tursas VIP - I want something more flippy and finesse than my Warship for those BH shots that needs to hold an anhyzer line.

Giant VIP ? - I want a good overstable driver that I can grow into and use as my main forehand disc. Though I don't really know which one to pick, help here would be most useful!

I feel like my putter and mid-range choice are quite good but I would like feedback on those as well :)

Welcome! I am pretty new to the sport myself so no tips on disc selection, except that I really like my Lat 64 River (made in Sweden) and have a Saint, by the same maker, coming in the mail soon. You could check those out. I like that your are supporting your local/national economy :)

I have traveled through much of Europe but never the Nordic countries. Hopefully, someday I can enjoy some disc golf there!

Last edited:
Swan and Tursas are good choices. The Giant could be too, typically though the Giant along with other high OS speed drivers fly best at 400+ feet. So you mention your local course only extends to 300 feet, probably not needed there.

It's also better in the long run to stick to Fwy/Mid/Putter until you gain decent form. High speed drivers require high speed throws to perform correctly (over 350 feet minimum).

So if you are onto Westside I'd say the Longbowman would be ideal for an OS Sidearm FWY driver to start with. It won't require as high a speed to fly and still give you some stability when needed for hyzer shots and headwinds.

Welcome! I am pretty new to the sport myself so no tips on disc selection, except that I really like my Lat 64 River (made in Sweden) and have a Saint, by the same maker, coming in the mail soon. You could check those out. I like that your are supporting your local/national economy :)

I have traveled through much of Europe but never the Nordic countries. Hopefully, someday I can enjoy some disc golf there!

Thank you!
Yea I was choosing between Lat64 and Westside(Finland), went with Westside because I already had one and I really liked it. I will probably pick up some Lat64 ones after my game has become stable :)

Swan and Tursas are good choices. The Giant could be too, typically though the Giant along with other high OS speed drivers fly best at 400+ feet. So you mention your local course only extends to 300 feet, probably not needed there.

It's also better in the long run to stick to Fwy/Mid/Putter until you gain decent form. High speed drivers require high speed throws to perform correctly (over 350 feet minimum).

So if you are onto Westside I'd say the Longbowman would be ideal for an OS Sidearm FWY driver to start with. It won't require as high a speed to fly and still give you some stability when needed for hyzer shots and headwinds.

That course is like 15 minutes away but I do have a "real" course like 1 hour drive away with many par 3's over 100meter and some par 4's. The Longbowman seems like a good choice though! Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:
Was out throwing today, I was using my Katana on a 295 left curve hole and I went straight over 300feet right into some trees without fading left. It seems my form training is paying off.
My Katana used to fade left quite early for me and I wonder if I should buy a speed step above the Longbowman disc or not. Maybe the Westside Sword? I could use that for both my backhand and my forehand. I'm using my Warship for middle range forehand shots and wonder if its better to go up to the Sword instead of the Longbowman.

Latest posts