• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the game and site......

dealinwithit

Hi everyone! My name is Dennis and just as the title says I'm a new player from the Washington, DC area. Specifically Northern Virginia. I have already found this site to be a great help with finding out about courses, discs, and everything else under the sun.

I feel as though I have gotten the hang of the game pretty quickly. I've started to learn what I can and cant do with the discs. As much as I think I have learned on my own I know I can always learn more. So here are my obligatory new to the game questions.

1. I have 4 discs (the basic Innova 3 disc set, and a Valkyrie driver) I know I should master those discs for now, but what are the suggestions for the next step concerning discs?

2. This question could also concern question #1....what should I do to help with working with my fade to the left. One course here has a few dog legs to the right that just flummox me because I cant get a consistent shot to fade right.

3. I've played sports all of my life so I like to challenge myself. Should I even think about entering a tournament this early on? There is a C-tier" tournament at my "home course" in a few weeks. If I played it and did horribly I don't think it would damage my psyche. But who knows. That's why I'm asking all of you.

Thanks!

I'm by no means an expert, but I'll give my two cents regarding your questions:

1. You're already way ahead of the game with your mindset to master the discs you have already. Once you feel like you have that down, you'll want to pick up something more overstable, and perhaps something more understable as well. But what you have now should last you a while.

2. I would try a flick, which is what I throw in that situation, or get out to a field and work on the left-to-right shot until you have it down.

3. I would not recommend playing a tournament until you are certain you're ready for that step. Instead, find people to play with casually to see who's out there and watch better players. If there's a novice division at the tournament, that would be a good place to start. But don't do anything that you think might ruin your psyche. But also have confidence in yourself:thmbup:

Happy Throwing!

Welcome to the site and addiction Dennis.

I agree w/ dealinwithit and will add a bit more.

#1 - Get an understable driver, a neutral mid, and a putter of your choice. Go to a disc shop and "feel" them. Buy what you like, but trying different putters is really the only way to go.
#2 - An understable driver will fade right when thrown w/ proper form and the right amount of power.
#3 - Anyone's 1st tourney is a learning experience. If you fell confident, go for it. I would suggest reading the rule book before hand to help not being penalty stroked or embarrased. I will also suggest joining in your local league/mini. Most advanced players will be more than happy to impart knowledge and help out a newer player.

I don't think it's ever really too early to play Rec in a small tournament. It will teach you some basic rules and etiquette which you should study up on before the first round anyway but it will teach you a lot you can be working on for the next tournament. If you intend to play in them for the future why not start now? Don't have any expectations other than having fun and you'll never be disappointed.

Learn to use the search function on the site. Don't just post new thread after new thread lol

Welcome! :thmbup:

Welcome to the game! Also, kudos to you for using the word "flummox."

I can't really add anything but I would like to reinforce the idea of the flick. Learning to throw a decent forehand has greatly improved my game and it should help you a lot on that hole. The idea is on a RHBH throw discs fade right. If you throw RHFH you put theopposite rotation and therefore it fades left. It takes some getting used to. Watch some videos and practice it.

Buy Fast drivers.... Learn to throw 500+ feet. Throw every other skill in the game OUT the Window! Welcome to Internet Disc Golf my friend!

Welcome.. I'm new to DG as well.

Really too new to offer any advice, but I can share what has seemed to help me.

As far as needing that disc to fade or end to the right.. I started out throwing all my shots RHBH but everything ended or faded to the left (even using understable disc).. so Ive started throwing side arm, the disc is now spinning/rotating the opposite direction and instead of everything fading left.. they naturally want to end fade curve ( choose your word) to the right.

I make no claims that this is sound advice only whats helped this newbie.. have fun.

Welcome to the game! Also, kudos to you for using the word "flummox."
The idea is on a RHBH throw discs fade right. If you throw RHFH you put theopposite rotation and therefore it fades left.

This is actually backwards. I'm sure this was an honest mistake, but for someone who is so new to the game, these bits of misinformation can be very detrimental to a player's development.

Right-handed Backhand throws will have a natural tendency to 'fade' (or finish their path of flight) to the left.

Right-handed Forehand throws will have a natural tendency to fade right.

The angle the disc is at at the point of release can greatly influence these basic tenets, so remember: smooth motion, level/flat release with the nose down when throwing a standard BH.

To help with your second query, I also recommend learning to throw forehand, as it is a shot that will help in all facets of your game, from the teebox to a 20' putt around a bush. There are plenty of great forehand tutorial videos out there, I suggest the deep in the game series with Avery Jenkins, also the Mark Ellis tutorial is pretty solid, and lets you see several different FH throwing styles. Just remember, keep the palm to the sky, keep wrist roll to a minimum, and try to snap your wrist like you were shaking a booger off your fingers (gross, right? but think about the sudden stop of your wrist, and the feeling of your fingers flicking forward with the momentum).

For BH throws, instead of throwing from flat and straight across your chest/core, in order to achieve the 'left-to-right' flight you will need to alter the trajectory of release and the angle of the disc in your hand. To start, hold the disc straight out in front of you. You will need to tilt your wrist palm up so that the outside edge (or the side opposite where you hold the disc, whichever is more clear) is pointing to about 10 o'clock. This is called an Anhyzer. It refers specifically to the angle of release, not the flight that this release produces, although you will hear these shots be called Anhyzers, or annies. The key however, is adjusting the point of release (trajectory) so that when the disc rips out of your hand, it isn't going directly into the ground (that is essentially for rollers). This is accomplished by releasing the disc at a higher point than normal. Pull from low to high for these throws and release slightly earlier than you would on a normal throw. Your arm should be slightly bent still, and pointing upward at about a 45* angle. It may help to bend back slightly while throwing, to help get your arm into the proper slot, but keeping balance and power in your legs is much more important than any sort of lean.

As far as the tourney goes, I'd say do it! It'll only be demeaning if you let it. Playing in a low division like novice or rec will take most of the pressure off, folks won't hassle you about rules or stroke you for courtesy violations. More experienced players will give you advice on everything from technique and form to rules to tourney etiquette, but should focus on keeping the round fun, albeit competitive fun (being a lifelong athlete, you should be familiar with this concept :D). The tourney scene is not as scary as it seems, and anyone who says its like swimming with sharks probably plays AM1, where it is, in fact, like swimming with sharks.

Play with people better than you and you will get better, guaranteed... also, try to show up for any local leagues(especially random doubles) that will give you a good view of what a tounament will be like(kind of)
without the actual pressure of a tournament. Take hints and advice from players that are better than you.

If I could give myself advice when I first started, it would be this:

1) Don't throw drivers right away. Buy a comet, dx roc, wizard, and magic.
2) Learn to throw those 4 discs equally as proficient with a forehand or backhand.
3) wait until the 275' mark to move up to fairway drivers. Buy a river/leopard and teebird.
4) Don't buy anything else unless you beat up one of those 6 discs and have to buy a new one.
5) buy a 4-5 disc stack of your putting putter (for me, magic) and putt, putt, putt! and then putt some more! If you can putt you can compete even with players that throw much further.
6) have fun while working on your game. if it stops being fun or you stop improving, slow down and reconsider your priorities. don't make it a job, keep it fun

Play with people better than you and you will get better, guaranteed... also, try to show up for any local leagues(especially random doubles) that will give you a good view of what a tounament will be like(kind of)
without the actual pressure of a tournament. Take hints and advice from players that are better than you.

I don't neccessarily disagree with this, but be careful. Most players that play doubles or casually don't know how to give good advice. They will tell you something incorrect or explain something poorly and disrupt your progress. Great players aren't automatically great teachers

This is actually backwards. I'm sure this was an honest mistake, but for someone who is so new to the game, these bits of misinformation can be very detrimental to a player's development.

Right-handed Backhand throws will have a natural tendency to 'fade' (or finish their path of flight) to the left.

Right-handed Forehand throws will have a natural tendency to fade right.

You are absolutely right. My mistake. Thank you for catching/correcting that.

I don't neccessarily disagree with this, but be careful. Most players that play doubles or casually don't know how to give good advice. They will tell you something incorrect or explain something poorly and disrupt your progress. Great players aren't automatically great teachers[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. What, I should have really said was don't take offense to someone offering advice, listen to what they say and apply what works for you.

Learn to use the search function on the site. Don't just post new thread after new thread lol

Welcome! :thmbup:

This is a good point, but I want to elaborate. Use the "google search" function, not the regular search function. The regular search button is near useless and I don't know why they don't just get rid of it and have the google search the only one available.

All of this has been very helpful to me. Hitting up a few courses tomorrow with a buddy of mine to play and try out some of the new throws. As per a suggestion I've read around the forums I will throw all of my discs to get as many throws in as I can. But only if nobody is behind me.

I really appreciate all of the help from everybody on here. Since I started playing I have been amazed at how laid back and cool everybody I have encountered has been. One day I lost a disc in the woods. I told the group behind to me to play through while I looked in the trees to find my disc. They made their throws and as the walked up they actually stopped and searched the woods with me and we found my disc. That still blows my mind. Thats not anything you EVER encounter on a golfball course.

Don't listen to people that say

"Learn to use the search function on the site. Don't just post new thread after new thread lol". Unless they fill out the rest of their profile. :)