• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the game

littlejimmy

So, I found a disc golf course while wandering around the park a few weeks ago. Seems like a chill thing to do, so I got some discs and started goofing around with them. I played my first round today! I think it went pretty well, +14. http://dgcour.se/611

I played with a Judge putter and a Roc3 midrange. It was pretty hopeless trying to get it in the basket over about 10 feet away, I need a ton of practice on short ones. It was breezy so that was getting to me. I did make a sweet shot around a tree from about 40 feet. I was starting to improve with the midrange towards the end of the round.

Nice score. I know I did worse my first time.

It is a little funny to see so many short par 4's on that course. Seems like everything around here that is 450' or less is usually a par 3.

Hope you stick with it. It's a fun and challenging sport.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it looks like 450 is more typical for a par 4 on the better courses around here. This one isnt very well liked but its convenient for me.
I read you should start playing with just a putter but i was definitely throwing the midrange farther than the putter, especially at the end of the round, so i think i can handle it. I think I might be throwing with the nose up because sometimes they start out looking good but then float up up up and dont go very far. I should probably learn to fix that, huh.

I read you should start playing with just a putter but i was definitely throwing the midrange farther than the putter, especially at the end of the round, so i think i can handle it

There is another school of thought out there that you should also be using a lower speed, preferably under stable and lighter (upper 160s maybe?) fairway driver. It helps to learn to throw nose down and just like your midrange goes further than your putter, a speed 6 or 7 or so fairway driver will likely go more than your midrange.

I think the advice to use just a midrange only is so people don't go buy a speed 12 driver and get discouraged, or seeing how th midrange flies with different release angles helps. But it also helps to have fun and go a bit further, and get used to selecting the best disc you have for the shot you need to make.

That's cool because I got one of those starter packs. I have a Leopard, Tee-Bird and Destroyer. I probably wont be able to resist trying them out for long.

Judge, Roc3, Leopard, and Teebird is solid basic setup for anybody, new or experienced. Work on throwing that Leopard straight and smooth...
Seems like a chill thing to do
...but mostly stay chill and have fun! That's what it's all about. :thmbup:

Played the course again and did one better. Didnt feel that good about it this time. Hit a lot of trees and missed a lot of short ones. Hole 12 is listed at 228 feet and I threw the judge putter past it and just a bit left probably about 240, so at least i can throw it pretty far sometimes. Missed the putt of course.

Latest posts