• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New up and coming courses

Chester State Park is around 1 year old and hopefully it continues to get better and I am also hearing good things about Tyger River. Socastee Rec Park has been in the ground for about three years but the majority of improvements was implemented in the past 1.5 years and it is really good. This course should get lots of play hopefully with it being in a tourist destination.

Lots of buzzz around Detroit, with two new course going in last year. Both actually in the city of Detroit. One is Belle Isle, on an old ball course located on an island just outside of downtown Detroit. The island itself is historic in archtecure and art, holding a zoo, aquarium, marina, arboreteum and tons of picnicing areas. The course is still evolving, but the land and course hold amazing potential, with picturesque skyline views of Detroit.
The other is also a course on an old ball course, Bonnie Brook. Once again a stunning piece of property with a good size river playing throughout the course. The potential in this new course is immeasurable and on it's way. A rare combo of elevation, water and the room for length and ammenities. For an area that had a slew of very good courses within an hour or so drive, there is considerable excitement to see more urbancentric locations to add to that mix. Check them both out if up this way.

I stopped by to echo what ru4por said; Detroit and the metro area continue to grow.

Belle Isle has been a work in progress for about 4 years. With the State in control the park, more progress was made last year than the previous 3. Baskets are permanent, course is open daily, and there is a dedicated group of golfers leading the way, working closely with the DNR and city. The course itself is amazing. Tons of length, hazards everywhere, and every hole is unique. You'll need more than a power hyzer to shoot well here. There are problems, though. Most notably controlling the overgrowth, flooding, lack of concrete pads/tee signs, and it's still a seasonal course. I think these are problems most new courses face, though.

Bonnie Brook is the younger of the sister courses; opened publically late summer/early fall of last year. Course is on private property and its creation and operation is headed by another group of golfers. It fills a geographic [quality] course-void in the Metro area. It's P2P and 18+ which keeps away most of the casuals/troublemakers/riff-raff. 20 or 21 holes (layout still being finalized) with awesome baskets. Problems are similar to those of the Isle; drainage, pads, signage, and its seasonal. Again, probably common amongst adolescent courses.

Tons of potential in both of these courses. If you're planning a visit, make sure you check DGCR, DGS, and FB regarding hours and events. Late summer/early fall may be the best time to play them, though. Spring thaw, overgrowth, and insects will cause problems early in the season.

Rough River Dam State Resort Park - Kentucky

Course baskets installed last fall - and tweaked using Nikko, Paul U, and a few other 1000+ rated pros to determine final tee placements. Just under 10,000 feet on championship tees . . . . State resort park with full services available (lodge and campgrounds in walking distance from tee one) and one great restaurant on site.

Lots of elevation, all the water you want to bite off (think hole 2 with up to 600' carry), fairways mowed like a ball golf course and rough mowed like a disc golf course!

Tees will not be finished until summer due to unusually wet winter in KY, but course is getting lots of play now and even some reviews (I do not like to put courses on DGCR until I finish them completely but some one beat me to the punch).

Grand opening event April 17-18 with round from short tees Saturday afternoon and round from long tees Sunday morning. Details here: http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/RoughRiverSRP.html

My 71st course design and the best track of land I ever had the pleasure of building a course on!

Attachments

• phone sept 2014 121.jpg
    phone sept 2014 121.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 64
  • phone sept 2014 117.jpg
    phone sept 2014 117.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 65
  • rough river map low res.JPG
    rough river map low res.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 79
Really stoked on the new 18 hole in San Jose. And it could get some notoriety for being the hottest course around... during the summer that place is gonna be a desert.

Course baskets installed last fall - and tweaked using Nikko, Paul U, and a few other 1000+ rated pros to determine final tee placements. Just under 10,000 feet on championship tees . . . . State resort park with full services available (lodge and campgrounds in walking distance from tee one) and one great restaurant on site.

Lots of elevation, all the water you want to bite off (think hole 2 with up to 600' carry), fairways mowed like a ball golf course and rough mowed like a disc golf course!

Tees will not be finished until summer due to unusually wet winter in KY, but course is getting lots of play now and even some reviews (I do not like to put courses on DGCR until I finish them completely but some one beat me to the punch).

Grand opening event April 17-18 with round from short tees Saturday afternoon and round from long tees Sunday morning. Details here: http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/RoughRiverSRP.html

My 71st course design and the best track of land I ever had the pleasure of building a course on!

I just decided on a course that I must play on one of the days before BG Ams.

I don't know much about this course but the so called "Red Ribbon Pines" near Blue Ribbon Pines north of the Twin City area could be legit.

Is it true that the Majestic will be played on this new course this year? If so then we should hear something soon?!? Who knows about this?

I also want to here more about this Red Ribbon Pines, Who knows about it???????????????????

White Oak in Houston: abandonded 27 hole Ball golf Course, being turned into a 3 DG course complex. Already hosted TX State Championships. 1 course in permanently so far, 2 to go.

Cool bc its 3 champ courses in one spot in Houston Metro area with a 4th course 8 minutes away. Will take a little time to get all three in and groomed, but it'll be a destination when its done.