• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbs make my day on a daily basis

MNcyclone

Double Eagle Member
I was playing with a buddy at Acorn park and we were waiting to tee off on hole #6. As we walked up this kid was showing off his new max weight Ape to some random guy that was obviously just there to drink in public. The kid proceeded to give a full dissertation on why the Ape is the best disc ever. "Its speed 13, so its like the fastest disc ever made. It like goes farther then anything else, and its really overstable and that makes it go farther too." "Its rim is super wide so better players can grip it soooo well." "This disc is so long it will set the distance record fur sure!"

After listening to him blather about the ape he stepped up to the box and ripped it. First of all let me say I throw a tame firebird on this hole, and thats only because my drone is out of the bag now. If I had a hornet I would throw it here. Really, I should be throwing my putter but I can't accurately judge the wind from the box. So anyways he newb hyzers out and MAYBE gets out to 250'. I get all smug on my insides waiting for him to say something about the wind killing him or some other lame excuse. Nope, he turns to his buddy and smiles, exclaiming "oh yea, thats the Ape!" "Great shot man!" his buddy replied.

If this sounds like something you would say and do, or if this was you, do me a favor and do one of two things. 1 - please please please never get better and never learn, you so constantly crack me up. 2 - Do yourself and that Ape a favor and buy a Teebird. Its ok to not throw very far, everyone was a beginner at one point. But seriously, you aren't doing ourself any good.

If you are an employee and/or the owner of Fairway Flyerz, please do one of the following. 1 - Stop selling the latest speed 13 disc to every Newb that walks through the door. In fact, stop selling discs period, just have a sign at the door with directions down to GGGT. 2 - Keep doing what your doing, I need to feel superior over some section of the disc golf community, even if that means you are ripping off dozens of kids a week. Either way, put the pins in at Kaposia at some point, we aren't paying you yearly fees to sit on your arse and give out ribbons.

smug on the inside? meh.... sounds like they were having fun. Maybe 250 is a new personal record for him. Gotta start somewhere. I'd have offered to finish the round with them encouragingly.

I was playing with a buddy at Acorn park and we were waiting to tee off on hole #6. As we walked up this kid was showing off his new max weight Ape to some random guy that was obviously just there to drink in public. The kid proceeded to give a full dissertation on why the Ape is the best disc ever. "Its speed 13, so its like the fastest disc ever made. It like goes farther then anything else, and its really overstable and that makes it go farther too." "Its rim is super wide so better players can grip it soooo well." "This disc is so long it will set the distance record fur sure!"

After listening to him blather about the ape he stepped up to the box and ripped it. First of all let me say I throw a tame firebird on this hole, and thats only because my drone is out of the bag now. If I had a hornet I would throw it here. Really, I should be throwing my putter but I can't accurately judge the wind from the box. So anyways he newb hyzers out and MAYBE gets out to 250'. I get all smug on my insides waiting for him to say something about the wind killing him or some other lame excuse. Nope, he turns to his buddy and smiles, exclaiming "oh yea, thats the Ape!" "Great shot man!" his buddy replied.

If this sounds like something you would say and do, or if this was you, do me a favor and do one of two things. 1 - please please please never get better and never learn, you so constantly crack me up. 2 - Do yourself and that Ape a favor and buy a Teebird. Its ok to not throw very far, everyone was a beginner at one point. But seriously, you aren't doing ourself any good.

If you are an employee and/or the owner of Fairway Flyerz, please do one of the following. 1 - Stop selling the latest speed 13 disc to every Newb that walks through the door. In fact, stop selling discs period, just have a sign at the door with directions down to GGGT. 2 - Keep doing what your doing, I need to feel superior over some section of the disc golf community, even if that means you are ripping off dozens of kids a week. Either way, put the pins in at Kaposia at some point, we aren't paying you yearly fees to sit on your arse and give out ribbons.

Wow, you're cool...

Did he outdrive your firebird?

No man, I got a sweet S curve for 300'!! ;) I did actually have a really terrible day (+2 at Acorn), good thing this is the internet and nobody knows that but me. Oh crap, I blew my cover...

I really just feel bad that disc golf marketing has made people believe they are getting the best out of themselves by throwing the latest and greatest. I bet he would have driven the hole with a more appropriate driver. By throwing an Ape he will will eventually figure it out, but why make him be good eventually? Why not now? I recently bought a Halo from GGGT and the cashier asked me how far I threw. He was doing me a favor, because if I answered 250' he would have recommended a better suited disc. Maybe that is the point of my rambly rant, that we should all take it upon ourselves to not pimp flavor text off of the innova website, and actually try to impart what little knowledge of value we each individually possess. Maybe, but probably not...

To be fair, buying the latest and greatest discs when new is something of a right of passage in this sport. When I was a newb I went out and got me a sharp new Star Boss. While I quickly learned it was way to much disc for me, I ended up using it (after losing my two champ beasts and my banshee) and ended up learning the flex (s?) shot with it by putting a huge right angle on it to make up for the fade and lack of power. Now that I'm a little better and can actually get the thing 400ft, I look back and feel like I wouldn't have gotten better as fast (relatively) as I did without fighting a too fast driver for a while. Call it discing up I suppose...

You should have physically assaulted him. The guy obviously had no idea what he was talking about and deserved to have his teeth kicked in. Who does this guy think he is having a good time with his friend, while you judge him from a distance. Douche bag noob.

I think we'd all agree that beginners don't need wide-wing drivers, but it's important for beginners to have fun throwing what they think is fun to throw. If it's a boss, ape, wolf, or polecat. Let them throw what they want to throw. When they want help, they will seek out ways to improve, just like most of us here have done.

Whatever helps disc golf manufactures stay in business is a good thing. If that means marketting 'fad' discs, I say produce more.

I really just feel bad that disc golf marketing has made people believe they are getting the best out of themselves by throwing the latest and greatest.

Yes, but at the same time it's the "latest and greatest" discs that are helping companies make their bottom line so they can continue to produce the more reasonable "standardly used" discs like Rocs, Teebirds, et al. :popcorn:

Wait, so you guys seriously believe that people wouldn't start playing disc golf without fad discs? How would you know a fad disc from a standard one if you are new to disc golf?

Marketing. when i first started playing, i thought Monarchs were the only way to go because my Dick's Sportinggoods had Innova marketting material pasted all around the display kiosk.

Actually I think if someone online started talking abut how lightning runs in the mid 90s were superior you'd get a crush of people searching and overpaying for these discs as well.

I'm in quite the sinister sarcastic mood today..all apologies...just kind of fed up with noob bashing

If the disc manufacturers weren't coming out with a new "latest & greatest" mold every six months, we'd be still going ga-ga for the previous "latest & greatest" mold now wouldn't we?

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Marketing. when i first started playing, i thought Monarchs were the only way to go because my Dick's Sportinggoods had Innova marketting material pasted all around the display kiosk.

Bingo. And as long as we continue to be tools to their marketing ploys, I'd expect this trend to continue.

That being said, I don't think razzing these folks on here is such a bad thing. Kind of like the high school seniors shoving the noob freshman into his locker. We were all there once. We got over it.

Wait, so you guys seriously believe that people wouldn't start playing disc golf without fad discs? How would you know a fad disc from a standard one if you are new to disc golf?

I'm not saying new players only get into the game because of fad discs. I'm saying fad discs (whether bought by noobs or experienced players) help to pad the profits of the disc companies. I'm not sure to what extent, it's more of an educated guess based on how the forums blow up every time some new high speed driver comes out. Happened with the Katana, the Nuke, the Ape, etc etc etc.

I'm fine with the disc companies coming out with 20 speed discs, if it helps them stay in business, grow their company and continue to put out the so-called "staple" discs.

Latest posts