• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night disc golf help

madman1101

Par Member
I've seen many different ideas for night disc golf... i've seen tap lights, LED's and basic glow sticks for the baskets, I've seen mini LED's, and mini (1.5 inch) glow sticks taped to discs for night play... what works best? what do you use? let me know, me and the boys want to try this out sometime. and when should we set it up, just before sunset? just after with a flashlight??? Glow discs are not an option so don't suggest those please.

Go here: http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant...OD&Product_Code=FLIGHT&Category_Code=LEDBRACE

Buy 100 lights, an $80 investment will be worth it as soon as everybody around sees how sweet they are and purchase them from you at 2.50 - you make a profit and now have a bunch of people psyched to play night rounds with you.

Purchase "Frost King" insulating tape from Home Depot. If you can't figure that one out, stick with clear duct tape, clean the disc with alcohol (remove oils and dirt that will make the tape stick poorly), apply the tape in a warm dry environment over the flat light to the disc, I will put it on the bottom of a translucent disc or top of an opaque disc (if it lands upside down it will be difficult to locate), I leave the lights on a few discs and I'm always ready for a night round.

Buy some high quality reflective tape and apply a 1" strip to each basket, each person has a headlamp, and can see the reflection from the teebox through the thickest brush.

Have fun.

Here is a cheap way to do it.

buy LEDs

buy Batteries

So long as you can wait 2-3 weeks, it only costs $3.18 (shipped!) for 10 LEDs and 10 batteries.

1. Get some clear duct tape.
2. Tape the LED to the battery.
3. Tape that assembly to the bottom of the disc.
4. Throw.
5. Repeat.

If you are familiar with the course, forget the flashlight.

Last edited:
Like Martin said, get your stuff from extremeglow.com. I use the flat LED accent lights taped to the bottom of my discs. I carry a flashlight just in case I can't find a disc if it lands with the light blocked out. I light the basket with the battery powered glow sticks that they same site sells. I did have a buddy buy the battery powered glow swords (like 2 feet long) which are highly visible for use on the basket. You can also use LED tap lights for the baskets. Give it a go, it is a blast.

Be careful with those flat LED's when you remove them. If you bend them you can break the solder.

You can also find the LEDs at Radio Shack and the batteries at the dollar store if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Two accent lights each on driver and mid underneath the rim, glow discs for the putter. Charge it with a bright LED flashlight. Flashlight also helps point the way so I don't trip on something.

LED tap lights for the baskets are great, and it's what we use, but it can become blinding when you're putting. We use these instead of glow sticks and flashlights, but we do have a couple of us carry a flashlight or headlamp to help find flipped/lost discs.

Our thoughts are, by using LED lights, it looks more involved in case the fuzz tries to stop you. Also, you aren't going to leave LED lights on the baskets, creating less litter left by those who use glow sticks and fail to pick them up when they're finished.

We use three discs each, putter, mid, driver. No need to put a light on that disc you might use once every two rounds.

I just order the LEDs from Dynamic Discs and tape them on with clear packing tape. It takes me about 10 minutes to tape up two drivers and a mid. I just use a white putter with no light when I'm close to the basket. I've also only played night disc golf at my home course so I know where all the baskets are and don't have to worry about lighting them up. I also attach an LED clip-on light to my hat. Night disc golf is awesome.

I have always just used the tiny glow sticks and clear packaging tape. Works just fine for a night of disc regardless of how the disc lands, so long as you use at least a slightly opaque disc.
If you can avoid the flashlight your eyes will adjust to the darkness and the glow will stick out like a sore thumb. I think I sometimes have an easier time finding discs at night than during the day with this method.

I just use a small led flashlight I bought for 20 bucks and light up my glow discs, works great and its easy

glow discs for the putter.

Let me know when they make a decent putter in glow plastic.

*by decent, I mean XG Champ glow Rhyno*

If you're using the glow putter as an approach disc, either use a candy plastic with LEDs or power down a glow mid. If you're putting, the disc shouldn't go far enough to lose it if it's not lit.

The Ions seem like they would be great putters/mids for night golf since they are more opaque than other plastic lines.

MVP glow plastic and a UV flash light!! I didnt even have to "charge up" my MVP glow plastic using the UV flashlight, even tho this works perfect. MVP plastic is so bright at night, well the green and pink colors anyways.. The UV flashlight is a must, even if the disc you threw wasn't glowing well, one flash with the UV light and BOOM!!!! super glow!!! Trust me this works super hella good, even the local disc shop here (Mandos) sells UV flashlights...its awesome, no tape, no led's, ya just gota have glow plastic..

The one and only night golf set includes:

Throw-Lite LED/battery combo (http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/throwlite-disc-golf-lite-p-2388.html
Scotch/3M 33+ electrical tape

Works well in winter/rain/any condition. The most important part is to apply the tape and lights to WARM and DRY discs, otherwise the adhesion is compromised. I buy extra batteries online for cheap (less than $1, compared to $5-$6 at a battery shop).

I still don't get why you would do that ^ when you can buy the "accent lights" for less than $1 (=to your quote for the battery, not to mention the $5 light), the size and weight difference is negligible (especially if you remove the paper backing). And I can leave the light attached to my night set or a select few discs in my bag, turn them on when I need them, turn them off when I'm done (while attached to the disc). I don't go out of my way to treat them well while attached to my disc, they get beat up and wet, occasionally it will quit working after a couple weeks, easy enough to replace, and often they'll last a few months of heavy use.
http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant...OD&Product_Code=FLIGHT&Category_Code=LEDBRACE

/sales pitch (I am not affiliated with the product, just admiring the benefits of their use - in fact I'm much more a proponent of gggt, and I apologize to them for driving away business)

All for less than $1 per disc.

My functional basket lights

For awhile now I have been wanting to put lights on my basket so i shopped around and i found one thing that worked for me i bought two 100 lumen helmet head lights from the home depot i think they were like 12 bucks a piece and zip tied them under top chain rack they are adjustable and ill have to say they work perfectly keep in mind these pics were taking around midnight in a pitch black garage

Attachments

• IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0503.jpg
    IMAG0503.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts