• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Discraft Pro's on Lead Cards Lately...

Earic02

Par Member
Among the top disc golfers in the world, Discraft is almost no longer represented (except for Nate Doss, now that McCabe, Koling, Leiviska and Owens are with Prodigy).

I'm biased towards DC, as I'm sure there are others like me, and it's kinda disappointing not to have more DC pros on final round lead cards lately. (Though MJ holds it down from time to time, also)

Is anyone else kinda bored with the current state of 3 prodigy members vs McBeth in most tournament final rounds lately?

I'm sure a lot of you don't care, as we'll see.

Also, what Discraft team members will we see challenging Wysocki and McBeth soon? (if any)

Are these guys that good that they'll dominate final rounds for a few years? (it seems like it..)

Are there any unsigned DC-throwing up-and-comers to help represent the brand?

(Innova's kind of in the same boat too, right? Any Innova fans feel like I do?)

------------------------------------------------

Top 15 as of March: (might be outdated.. not sure..)

1 Wysocki Prodigy
2 Shusterick Prodigy
3 McBeth Innova
4 Feldberg ???
5 Doss Discraft
6 Leiviska Prodigy
7 Nybo ???
8 Ulibarri Prodigy
9 Locastro Prodigy
10 Colglazier Innova
11 Orum Innova
12 Koling Prodigy
13 Gurthie Prodigy
14 Barsby Westside / Lat 64
15 Owens Prodigy

I really wanted to follow the pro tour this year. I watched bits and pieces of the Memorial. But the weather here sucked that weekend. As it got nicer outside, my focus has turned to my own play rather than the pros'. So I've basically stopped following the pro tour. I'll get out to watch when they're here for the Vibram, but until then, my interest is totally gone.

There are certain players I like to root for (Brinster, Feldberg, McBeth) but I really don't care what they're throwing.

Cam Todd has been playing pretty well. It does suck that there are only a few discraft pros around anymore

well there's only two guys on the elite team, Doss and MJ. MJ has finished top 3 in 7 of 8 tourneys this year and won 4 of those. he's holding it down where he plays.

but really they just have one top guy on the national tour scene and Doss hasn't been playing at the level of some of the young guys.

the only guy i know on their core team is Cam Todd and he's been playing pretty well around here just like MJ. he's got 6 wins and 2 second place finishes, one of those wins was the Carolina Clash.

Perhaps after they lost a bunch of players to Prodigy, Innova and Discraft are realizing that sponsorship isn't doing them a ton of good at this point. They've got a huge market share, and the demographic where they sell the most discs (noobs) doesn't care at all about the top pros. It'll be interesting to see if that's the direction those companies continue, or if Prodigy's model of making sponsorship a much higher paying thing for players ends up having any real benefits for the company in the long run.

Perhaps after they lost a bunch of players to Prodigy, Innova and Discraft are realizing that sponsorship isn't doing them a ton of good at this point. They've got a huge market share, and the demographic where they sell the most discs (noobs) doesn't care at all about the top pros. It'll be interesting to see if that's the direction those companies continue, or if Prodigy's model of making sponsorship a much higher paying thing for players ends up having any real benefits for the company in the long run.

You make a fair point.

Who on the pro circut throws MVP? Exactly.

Yet, noobs love those things. I see them all over the place.

I understand Prodigy's marketing strategy, but I basically think it's going to be a big bust. Supporting top players does nothing for the sport as a whole, in my opinion.

Until someone says "oh, I'm switching my whole bag out from Innova to prodigy b/c Will did it" then I'll stand by my opinion.

But they seem to moving discs left and right, so who knows.

Well some guys dont care to do the traveling others do. Notably Guys from the North Carolina area (M.J, Cam, Schwebby, Terry, Wiggy etc etc).. Other than that the top 20 have looked pretty much the same for awhile...

Yup, i'd say they are checking out a bit to see what happens with a "Reduced" team of superstars. not a bad move probably.

Who on the pro circut throws MVP? Exactly. Yet, noobs love those things. I see them all over the place.
You realize you're giving evidence contrary to your argument?

EDIT: I realize what you're saying, but the attitude of calling out all the "noobs" throwing MVP gives more argument that if they had pros throwing their discs it would legitimize the company's popularity.

You make a fair point.

Who on the pro circut throws MVP? Exactly.

Yet, noobs love those things. I see them all over the place.

I understand Prodigy's marketing strategy, but I basically think it's going to be a big bust. Supporting top players does nothing for the sport as a whole, in my opinion.

Until someone says "oh, I'm switching my whole bag out from Innova to prodigy b/c Will did it" then I'll stand by my opinion.

But they seem to moving discs left and right, so who knows.

Disc golfers who spend a bunch of time on forums are buying a ton of prodigy discs. I have yet to see a casual disc golfer throwing one. I doubt you can sustain a market share just based on the small segment of the disc golf population us forum nerds represent.

From a brand stand point, it is kinda of nice to see more of a dispersion. At the big events, its no longer all Discraft/Innova top ten, its Innova, Lat64/DD/Westside, Prodigy, Prodiscus, Legacy (especially when the event is in Cali) and Discraft.

Prodigy has this weird thing going on where I see guys buying 10, 15, 20 of one disc. People are buying them in stacks b/c they think they are going to be the next CE and they are investing. A ton of the Prodigy that is selling is not being thrown. Once you get away from the proto/first run stuff that will die down and we will get a better idea of where they really sit in the market.

Discraft went through this before. They had a Pro team based around Scott Stokely, Ron Russell and Juliana Bower. Juliana went to Innova, Stokely got hurt and Russell got a job. *poof* There went the Discraft Pro team. They survived.