• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No local course? Make your own!

JimB ... way cool to have your own private course. I'm jealous (as I'm sure most others are as well).

Thanks, man. As great as it is having the course at my house, I'd love to have additional courses closer than an hour away as I currently have to deal with. I want the best of both worlds! :D

Just uploaded photos of the front 9 of my Dixie Lee DGC. Hope to get the back 9 later this week. Here's the link to the course page and a single pic.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=3839&mode=gal

picture.php

What you're doing is one of my life goals. Someday I would love to have the land to set up a challenging and fun course, and be able to invite other disc golfers to come and try it out. I'm so jealous of people like you who can walk out the door and play any time you want.

What you're doing is one of my life goals. Someday I would love to have the land to set up a challenging and fun course, and be able to invite other disc golfers to come and try it out. I'm so jealous of people like you who can walk out the door and play any time you want.

Thanks for taking notice. As much as I'd love to have other courses close by, I guess I'll be happy with mine. I'm off to play a round. Be back in 45 minutes. ;)

Great job man, seems like a nice sweet little course.

What's the course record?

Great job man, seems like a nice sweet little course.

What's the course record?

Have to check my scorebook and will let you know. :)

Actually, it's 52. I'm sure that I'll do better soon, though. Thanks for asking!

If you've read some of my posts before you've probably heard my sob story that the closest course to me is an hour away under ideal weather and traffic conditions.

Paw Paw is an hour, or do you mean shawnee?

PS I am coming :) Not sure when, but I would love to come check out your course.

Paw Paw is an hour, or do you mean shawnee?

PS I am coming :) Not sure when, but I would love to come check out your course.

Sounds good! Just let me know.

I'm an hour away from any of the closest courses in any direction. 1 hour to Paw Paw. One hour to Shawnee. One hour to Bedford. One hour to Redneck. And further to any place else. And Paw Paw, town center, is only about 35 minutes from me. Unfortunately, the courses are another 25 minutes out the Long and Winding Road.

The Next Practice Course

Here's another place that I set up my Skillshots to practice. I've used the grounds at this local college, Allegany College of Maryland, to practice since I first started playing and got my own practice baskets.

Since my last proposal to a school/church didn't pan out (yet) I'm moving on to working on the course here. I have 9 holes laid out and hope to approach the college sometime this Fall about installing a course. Wilson College and Saint Francis University are both about an hour and a half from Cumberland and have courses so I'm hoping that this could encourage ACM to give it a shot.

Here are the first couple pics with some basic hole info as laid out thus far.

Hole #1 would be a simple little 200' opener with just a few trees to work around. The pin is backed up against some this woods so you don't want to go long.
picture.php

Hole #2 would be about 300'. The tree is marked as a Mando as there's a pavilion just out of the picture to the right that needs to be kept out of play. The final hole would probably end up being about 30-50' shorter to further remove the pavilion from play. It would still require a good right turning drive. The pin is tucked in behind a smaller Weeping Willow tree.
picture.php

Two more holes at the "Willow Brook DGC at ACM" as I like to call it. It hasn't been proposed to the school yet, but I'm working on getting ready to do so. Here's the next hole.

Hole #3 is mostly uphill and about 420'. The fairway is pretty wide but drops off into BAD underbrush on the left and right.

You can barely see my yellow Dragon sitting on top of the blue Skillshot from the tee. It's just above ground level from this angle.
picture.php

This is from about 125' out and shows how the pin is tucked in amongst a little grove of trees. There are multiple lanes into the pin depending on where your drive lands.
picture.php

Had to do one more tonight. I would call this one of two "Signature" holes on the course, if that's possible. I don't have a picture of #9 yet but it would be the other.

This one shows why the road the school is on is called Willow Brook Road, and why I chose the proposed name for the course. #4 is the last hole on the East side of the entrance road to the college. The remaining 5 holes are all to the West of the road.

Hole #4 would play about 250', downhill, over the brook, with the pin beyond the row of Willow trees. You can play straight through the center gap... or try a spike hyzer over the trees. It's a lot of fun either way.
picture.php

Last edited:
kudos to you, jimb, for all this work you've done. someday you'll be known as the godfather of cumberland disc golf!

willow brook looks awesome!

You don't need baskets to make a course. Our local course is kinda difficult for the kids, so we made an object course at the park nearest to us. Hit a tree or a pole etc.

I used to live on a 5 acre plot of land in the forest then we moved into the suburbs. I figured out disc golf after we moved. I still imagine what it would be like to have your own private course

You don't need baskets to make a course. Our local course is kinda difficult for the kids, so we made an object course at the park nearest to us. Hit a tree or a pole etc.

When I don't feel like lugging around the portables I still do that. Did it in the 80s too, with the trusty old Whamo Frisbee. It went kind of like this. Start at my house in a development, follow the road a mile down to the general store and hit the pole beside the phone booth.

A couple more holes

These are the last two holes for WBDGC@ACM that I have pictures of. I hope to get out again this weekend to get the last three.

Hole #5 plays down hill and has a dog-leg left at about 250' out. The pin sits about another 60' back into a clearing. There's trouble left (thick woods) and right (the brook and woods).

Tee
picture.php

Approach... the big tree on the left is the same tree that the arrow is pointing at in the top pic.
picture.php

Hole #6 plays straight in line with a row of Willow Trees and is about 270'. You can throw a line drive straight under the branches, a nice hyzer, or take an anhyzer out over the brook to the left (all RHBH). It's hard to tell but the brook runs just to the left of the row of trees.
picture.php

Hey Jim, I love the courses you've created and especially your Willow Brook course! Every one of the holes that u posted pics of looks like they would be fun to play! I'm curious to know though if u had to get permission to play on the grounds of the college? There's a private college in my hometown with a small course, but I"ve always been reluctant to play it. I have made up a nice little object course at a local county park and I play that more than anywhere. After reading this thread, it has inspired me to take some pics of a few of the holes and try to get them posted on here. Provided I can get the pics in digital format (don't have a digital camera), could I post them here? Or maybe just start a new thread?

Hey Jim, I love the courses you've created and especially your Willow Brook course! Every one of the holes that u posted pics of looks like they would be fun to play! I'm curious to know though if u had to get permission to play on the grounds of the college? There's a private college in my hometown with a small course, but I"ve always been reluctant to play it. I have made up a nice little object course at a local county park and I play that more than anywhere. After reading this thread, it has inspired me to take some pics of a few of the holes and try to get them posted on here. Provided I can get the pics in digital format (don't have a digital camera), could I post them here? Or maybe just start a new thread?

Hey, thanks for the kudos. I appreciate it.

I never got any grief from anyone at the college. The area that I'm playing in is basically completely unused. I don't think that I've ever even seen a group of people at the pavillion on #2. I think I saw one lady sitting on a table talking on her phone... that's it. My wife works there part-time, too. So maybe I just have that piece of information in the back of my mind in case I need it.

And please, feel free to post on this thread. That's why I started it. I really love seeing what other people do when they can't get to an actual course.