• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

n00b Question:

For small tourneys, I always see $10 buy-in, $3 ace pot, and a $6 payout... I understand buy-in and ace pot, but what is the payout? it sounds like the winner gets $6, but that doesn't make any sense.

Thanks.

It means $6 of your buy-in goes into the total payout. So if you have ten players, there's $60 in the prize pool to be paid out to those that cash.

It goes to fees and such?

I'm sure/ I know it does, i just thought the comment funny that there was no question as to how come the total didn't actually add up to ten instead of nine.

I guess i could have also read it wrong... I was thinking the ten dollar buy in was reg fee total, 3 dollars of which goes to ace pot 6 to pay out, one dollar left over...

But if it's 10 for buy in, 3 for ace pot which i guess is usually optional and... aww, who cares. i know the remainder always goes to "other" fees.

Last edited:
Why is it that champion plastic is more overstable than the other plastics? Also how is Discraft's Z a lot like champion, but they don't seem to have the same problem?

Why is it that champion plastic is more overstable than the other plastics? Also how is Discraft's Z a lot like champion, but they don't seem to have the same problem?

It's not that Champ is necessarily more overstable. It's that it stays overstable throw after throw.

From Innova:

Discs Made With...
| Star Plastic will retain flight ratings for a long period of time, with added grip.
| Champion Plastic will retain flight ratings for a long period of time.
| Pro Plastic will start slightly less overstable and the driver models will have more glide.
| DX Plastic will start more overstable and with use will match the ratings. With continued use, the DX plastic will eventually become more understable than the ratings.

You can throw a brand new DX Teebird (for example), and for that first throw, it might be as stable as a Champ. But, it won't take long before it loses that overstablity.

It's not that Champ is necessarily more overstable. It's that it stays overstable throw after throw.

From Innova:

You can throw a brand new DX Teebird (for example), and for that first throw, it might be as stable as a Champ. But, it won't take long before it loses that overstablity.

Well then are their flight rating based on discs after a certain time of use, like the boss in champion is 13 5 0 3 instead of -1 3, same kind of thing with the tern.

How do I tag this thread so I can go through all 374 pages?? Lol. I think I will learn a lot from this post

As a general rule: Champ/Z/Opto style plastic is the most overstable, Star/ESP/Gold Line style the next, then Pro/X style, then DX/D as the least. The speed in which they break in follows that same general rule.

It's important to note however, that different discs cool differently in different plastics so exceptions can skew that general rule thanks to really high/low PLH, dome, flashing and other characteristics. A lot of the older molds that were designed before premium plastic can be markedly different and arguably fly better or truer in base plastic. The Cyclone is a good example of this, Z Cyclones didn't mold up much like a Cyclone and are generally regarded as glideless junk.

How do I use this knowledge?: A lot of base plastic discs are great for cycling, i.e. having multiple discs of the same mold in different stages of wear (read: stability). Say you really like the Eagle or Teebird. You can grab 3-4 and start beating one into an understable disc, then eventually you have all stabilities covered from fresh (overstable) to beat to hell (understable). Same mold means more familiarity which breeds consistency.

The other route and probably more common one is to pick up discs that fly "out of the box" like you want and will stay that way due to the premium plastic. The only big disadvantage of this is if you lose that perfectly flippy Champ Leopard, it can be a task replacing it with a similarly flippy Champ Leo, plus premium plastic costs more. But, even if you're a cycler, it makes sense to fill those really overstable slots with premium plastic discs because even DX Firebirds or Banshees will lose that dependable overstability eventually.

Because all discs regardless of plastic will wear in at least a little bit, what I like to do is get a premium plastic disc that is a little bit more overstable than what I want when new because it'll beat in to a point and stay there for a very long time. Finding a mold that beats into the sweet spot of stability you're looking for is simply great and you'll get a lot of use out of that disc.

:clap:THAT^^^, folks, is a really useful tip (and a GREAT answer)! Thank you Brother Dave! :clap:

What does it mean when a disc is referred to a natural beauty? How are they made and is it something on purpose or just something that happens...

What does it mean when a disc is referred to a natural beauty? How are they made and is it something on purpose or just something that happens...

Pretty sure they are the result of going from one color of discs to another, so if they've been molding green Wraiths for example and then start molding some blue Wraiths, some leftover green plastic gets mixed into the blue Wraiths as green swirls.

Some others explained, but I don't think anyone answered specifically from a physics standpoint. The reason why champion plastic is most overstable is because it's the smoothest and causes less air resistance. When a disc spins through the air, the tiny (and sometimes not so tiny) scratches, gouges, and surface texture grab at the air and pull it to the right (for RHBH throws). Discs with a smoother surface texture don't grab the air as much. And champion stays overstable longest because it's the most durable.

Latest posts