• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Rules Question

rowdyray

I have read the official rules and many rules posts on this site, but I am still unclear about a few points.

1. If I throw into the woods or bushes, am I allowed to throw as long as I can fit myself into the brush somehow (ie. my body bending branches etc.)? I am not clear if this constitutes moving of some sort of obstacle. I am not talking about bending down branches with my left hand so I can throw with my right, but more the natural shifting of branches caused by tight quarters.

2. In the aforementioned instance, if it is impossible to get in to where my disc is and throw, my only option is to pick up my disc and go back to my previous lie and throw? Upon the completion of my rethrow, I would then be laying 3?

Any input on the above question would be greatly appreciated.

as long as you dont move any branches and whatnot unnecessarily, youre good to go. gotta make sure your foot is behind the mark no more than 10cm and in line with the marker and the basket.

if you cant take your shot, you must use the optional rethrow rule, where you throw again from your previous lie, count your boffed shot and take a 1 stroke penalty.

As far as #1 goes, the important thing is to move the bush as little as possible. Holding a branch out of the way that is in front of you is a definite no-no, but a lot of people tend to ignore the rule past that. For example, I see some people that will back into the bush, thus pushing the branches that would be in front of them out of the way. As I understand it, this is also a no-no. Bending soft branches and tucking them out of the way (on another branch or behind your leg) is another one that some people seem to think is okay. The main thing to remember is that you must disturb the bush as little as possible when taking your stance.

from PDGA rulebook section 803.05:

A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

from PDGA rulebook section 803.05:
A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

I could be wrong, but I think at the beginning of 2011 they might have changed the wording of this rule to allow movement of objects that aren't attached to the ground (dead branches etc.) but still disallows movement of living bushes/trees etc.

here you go

803.05 Obstacles and Relief
A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

C. Optional Relief: A player may declare that he or she is taking optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie that is no closer to the hole, and on the line of play. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

D. In situations where it is unclear if an object may be moved or other relief obtained, it shall be determined by a majority of the group or an official.

E. A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

F. A player who purposely damages anything on the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an
official. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

I could be wrong, but I think at the beginning of 2011 they might have changed the wording of this rule to allow movement of objects that aren't attached to the ground (dead branches etc.) but still disallows movement of living bushes/trees etc.

the section i quoted was not pertaining to casual obstacles.

This rule is so misunderstood

What do you mean I have to get down on one knee.....sigh....you have to do everything possible to MINIMIZE movement....not just minimize movement using your preferred stance

This rule is so misunderstood

What do you mean I have to get down on one knee.....sigh....you have to do everything possible to MINIMIZE movement....not just minimize movement using your preferred stance

it is, however, a great opportunity to use the rules as a sword instead of a shield.;)