• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose up

sappman

Par Member
What are some fixes for potential nose up problems? Such as pressure w the thumb or exaggerating the nose of the disc down during the reach back.

could be your reach-back is going from waist high to shoulder high, not straight through on a line. More pressure on the top of the flight plate with your thumb also can help if you are loosey goosey with it.

Keep your wrist down like your reaching out to shake someone's hand.

could be your reach-back is going from waist high to shoulder high, not straight through on a line. More pressure on the top of the flight plate with your thumb also can help if you are loosey goosey with it.

The waist high to chest high plane makes sense I'll have to check that out. I actually put ton of pressure on the flight plate w my thumb to the point where I think it's too excessive most of the time

adjust your thumb location. One cause of nose up shots is putting your thumb near the outer edge of the disc. If you move it closer towards the middle it will make you throw a flat or turnover shot instead of the nose up hyzer. Experiment with this until you are comfortable.

adjust your thumb location. One cause of nose up shots is putting your thumb near the outer edge of the disc. If you move it closer towards the middle it will make you throw a flat or turnover shot instead of the nose up hyzer. Experiment with this until you are comfortable.

I wouldve guessed the opposite. Interesting.

Also, what Zenbot and AFTC said

I appreciate all the quick replies. My thumb placement when throwing a driver is right where the rim ends (about an inch or so in). To close to the outer edge?

Every player starts out throwing nose up into the sky for some reason.

The drill I have people do is pick a spot 40' in front of them on the ground and hit it with a full throw. Really, throw your disc at the earth. Once you can do that consistently, aim for a spot 60' out. Hit that with consistency. Then move to 80', and so on until you are throwing level shots by default.

It has much more to do with your arm throwing plane than it does a thumb or anything in your grip.

I was actually told the opposite.......something about release pivot or some such thing. The further back on the flight plate the thumb is, them ore chance the nose will pivot up upon release.

:confused:

I appreciate all the quick replies. My thumb placement when throwing a driver is right where the rim ends (about an inch or so in). To close to the outer edge?

IMO sounds like it. Max D drives = thumb closer to center of disc/further from rim where control shots (mids/putters) = thump closer to rim/edge of disc.

Loose grip at start and more firm at the hit. Too tense of a grip before will not allow your tendons/arm to stay flexible for a good hit and generating the elusive "snap" lol.

^Exactly. This is how it was explained to me by another pro.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm pretty sure chrishysell has it backwards. Moving your thumb towards the middle of the flate plate is how you do an air bounce. Which is basically a super nose up throw. Plus, whenever I keep my thumb on the rim, I rarely have nose up problems.

Not trying to start an argument, and chrishysell does have way more experience than me. However, for me, thumb on rim = nose down, and thumb on flight plate = nose up.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm pretty sure chrishysell has it backwards. Moving your thumb towards the middle of the flate plate is how you do an air bounce. Which is basically a super nose up throw. Plus, whenever I keep my thumb on the rim, I rarely have nose up problems.

for realz? I demonstrate this to new players often. I remember KC and a few other pro's demonstrating this in 93 when I started playing to prevent nose up hyzers. It works perfectly for me. I am right handed.

Every player starts out throwing nose up into the sky for some reason.

The drill I have people do is pick a spot 40' in front of them on the ground and hit it with a full throw. Really, throw your disc at the earth. Once you can do that consistently, aim for a spot 60' out. Hit that with consistency. Then move to 80', and so on until you are throwing level shots by default.

It has much more to do with your arm throwing plane than it does a thumb or anything in your grip.

Good drill. The one i always do is seeing how far i can throw with only having the disc 5-8' off the ground. Never thought about throwing cones out 40', 60', 80' etc and trying to throw and hit them. Really simple, but cool drill. thanks.

for realz? I demonstrate this to new players often. I remember KC and a few other pro's demonstrating this in 93 when I started playing to prevent nose up hyzers. It works perfectly for me. I am right handed.

Yep. I don't know if I have a weird release on the disc or what, but that's how it works for me. It's exaggerated on putter throws. If I want to have a putter stall out and drop off without much glide, I keep my thumb towards the center of the flight plate. As far as drivers go, I keep a decent amount of pressure on the rim where it meets the flight plate. I thought I saw that on a site/video years ago when I was relatively new.

If I had to come up with the physics reason for why that is, I would say the thumb drags off of the back of the flight plate pushing it down when the disc is released. Keeping the thumb to the side keeps the disc level. But again, these are just my experiences and theories.

Not trying to start an argument, and chrishysell does have way more experience than me. However, for me, thumb on rim = nose down, and thumb on flight plate = nose up.

It has to do with pressure. Thumb back and no pressure would cause a stall out nose up like flight where if you look at a max D drive from someone like avery or jerm they have their hand and thumb ontop of the disc a lot more with a lot of pressure. Works vise-versa though where tons of pressure on the edge of the disc can make for noise down but you loose some power as less force can be put into the flight plate where it is more firm thus creating a larger virtual axis for the disc to spin off of.

Both are right really depending on the pressure given with the them.

Latest posts