• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not gettting past 300 frusfrstion thread

The Mike C overhead video is about as helpful as it gets. You can see where the arm should be in relation to the trunk, and the run-up is very compact. the follow through looks huge as well.

When I watch it, I understand why 300 is a ceiling for me and most of the chuckers i watch on a daily basis.

Welcome, Lexual, as a bit of noob myself I have found it best not to obsess over distance. With time and practice things slowly come together. I empathize slowly. I got back into the game last May, lost discs all summer with wild throws, began to figure out my problems in the fall and disced down, this winter is about throwing smooth and putting. Following this I believe that I will throw over 300' consistently this summer and with control.

f=ma. m is your body mass. To throw farther you have to stop throwing with just your arm, and get your whole body mass into the throw. But yes, much easier said than done.

pretty much all distance is on form...

True story. Well, form and practice.

I've found that while distance makes you feel good -- when you crank one past 300' -- form is the key to consistency. It's better to be able to throw 250' straight most of the time than 300'+ once in a while.

Best of luck, brother....and welcome to the site!

I got a WHOLE lot better, and more consistent distance, when I spent a full month throwing only putters, then added mids (plus the putters) for another month, and finally drivers. That, in conjuction with incorporating this Will Schusterick instructional video. A big key, for me, is to stay committed to to standstill drives at first and just being patient. Let the form develop and the goodness will come.

Practice with a towel. Trust me, it will improve your distance.
Throw discs, not towels.
towelie.jpg

Believe it, all you doubters. One of my friends was in his group and another friend was in the group behind, and they told me about it. This kid can bomb it. He played in my group at a Winter Warriors Tournament 3 years ago, and at 13y/o, was hitting 450' easily. He's kind of a local legend around Denver, rated in the upper 900's and his dad is an excellent player too. (Update 03/02/2024: That kid is Eagle McMahon)

Last edited:
I'm still not 100% clear on release technique, and I feel it's something that basically all of the instructional videos fail to cover.

When driving, am I holding onto the disc as tight as I can and allowing momentum to rip the disc from my grasp, or am I intentionally letting go at some point?

I'm still not 100% clear on release technique, and I feel it's something that basically all of the instructional videos fail to cover.

When driving, am I holding onto the disc as tight as I can and allowing momentum to rip the disc from my grasp, or am I intentionally letting go at some point?

Sidewinder will probably explain this better than me, but at the hit/release, you want to be holding the disc tightly and have the disc rip out of your hand. It shouldn't be a conscious release of the disc, like putting is.

Grip should start loose but firm and build tension gripping hard at the end to pull the edge of the disc around toward the target. The result is more of a springing action than a rip and definitely not letting go. If you start too tight you can't load the fingers/wrist more like a spring.

Grip should start loose but firm and build tension gripping hard at the end to pull the edge of the disc around toward the target. The result is more of a springing action than a rip and definitely not letting go. If you start too tight you can't load the fingers/wrist more like a spring.

Interesting, thanks!

Keep it loose until the "hit". You are creating a pinch point, essentially a hinge to rotate the disc around and launch itself fro. Your grip. No letting go. :). If you require a touchy short shot, use fan grip for less overall grip pressure, thus easier for the disc to pull itself from your hand.

Keep it loose until the "hit". You are creating a pinch point, essentially a hinge to rotate the disc around and launch itself from. No letting go. :). If you require a touchy short shot, use fan grip or gauge grip pressure to be less, thus easier for the disc to pull itself from your hand. Don't let go unless you are putting.

Keep it loose until the "hit". You are creating a pinch point, essentially a hinge to rotate the disc around and launch itself from. No letting go. :). If you require a touchy short shot, use fan grip or gauge grip pressure to be less, thus easier for the disc to pull itself from your hand. Don't let go unless you are putting.

I never thought of it that way before. I've just been holding my power grip with an even pressure, and it feels like I'm releasing semi-consciously.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out everyone's advice. That seems much more intuitive than the way I've been approaching it.

sounds right.

Thank you DGCR members for sharing your knowledge.

It took almost a year for me to get to 300 throwing RHBH. Now I'm almost there LHBH and I've only been throwing lefty since December. When I made the switch I made a mental note to myself to enjoy the process of getting better. Have some patience and don't be in such a hurry. This has eliminated any frustration that I might have run into. The secret to golf is perseverance.

Hope this helps somebody.

Latest posts