• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nuke vs. Destroyer

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm a big fan of the Destroyer-- I carry three in different stages of wear, and as far as Innova discs go, it's the fastest disc that I'm able to throw. The Boss is a bit too much for me. So I was wondering how the Nuke compares to the Destroyer. Would it be too much disc for me like the Boss or do you think it could fit into my game or even take the place of the Destroyer? For reference, I throw the Destroyer around 380' give or take.

nothing will take the place of the destroyer but the nuke isfast and easy to throw but i still wouldnt replace my D with it

My destroyer turns to the right before fading left its worn in a bit. I don't know if my nuke will be able to do the same when it gets nworn in. I would keep the destroyer in the bag!

nuke=boss

not really my experience with the two. Yes both discs are super blazin' fast, but the nuke is considerably easier to throw out of the box. the boss has a lot more stability for me. Nuke feels more like a worn in wraith, or a surge, but faster. just my $.02

---

to answer the question. I love throwin the nuke, and you can probably get similar flights out of a newer nuke and a beat destroyer. A new destroyer however is much more overstable than a new Nuke.

I'm a big fan of the Destroyer-- I carry three in different stages of wear, and as far as Innova discs go, it's the fastest disc that I'm able to throw. The Boss is a bit too much for me. So I was wondering how the Nuke compares to the Destroyer. Would it be too much disc for me like the Boss or do you think it could fit into my game or even take the place of the Destroyer? For reference, I throw the Destroyer around 380' give or take.

I found the Nuke to be less stable than a Destroyer.
So, no, it certainly wont be too much disc for you.
...you might be surprised with its glide.

My experience with both discs is the same as above. Nuke=boss. The destroyer gives me more control and distance than the nuke does. I dont see it replacing my destroyer at all. I am also not the biggest fan of the wider rim, but it isnt as bad as the boss to throw out of the box.

nuke=boss

To clarify a little better, it seems like the Nuke flies a lot like a Pro Boss (usually easier to control and has a little more glide) not a Star or Champ. The Nuke is a little easier to control and seems as if it has a tad more glide than a Pro Boss. I don't think it would replace your Destroyer, my slightly beat in Star Destroyer is still harder to turn over than my Nuke on BH's. I still use a Star TeeRex for all my big distance BH but the Nuke is giving it a run for it's money.

I threw strictly Destroyers until I started getting 40' more consistently with the Nuke. You can find stable ones and flippy ones.

Maybe it is just the run of nukes that I got but both my nukes are pretty overstable. in my experience my slightly beat in boss is easier to turn than my brand new nukes. I do think the nuke has the potential to be a longer disc than my boss but I just can't seem to want to throw it.

After I hit about 10 trees with my 174 Nuke, it started to flip a bit but I do have to crank it anhyzer to get it to do this as I don't have enough power to turn it over naturally. On downhill shots it is my longest disc. I haven't mastered the fade on flat ground yet, again, this might be my lack of power.

I don't even compare the Nuke and the Boss - they seem like 2 different animals to me.

I have heard the the nuke can easily flip when broken in, i have a surge and i can flip that and it's stability rating is a 1.7, the nuke is a 1.6, the surge is more overstable, so the nuke, when given time, will probably be easier to flip over as well

The Nuke is more comparable to Innova when you talk about their speed 13 discs. The rim thickness is exactly the same as the Boss.

The Destroyer will be easier to throw with lower arm speeds and less snap creating rotational momentum.

As far as actually field testing discs and the results that I have found. The Nuke goes at least 20ft further than anything else I have thrown. It is still overstable, more so than the Groove that I have and way more overstable than the Surge that I have in my bag. I expect that the Nuke will beat in a little bit more but I am not going to expect too much more. I am finding the 1.6 stability rating from Discraft a little hard to believe at this point.

I am finding the 1.6 stability rating from Discraft a little hard to believe at this point.

COMPLETELY agreed. My FLX XL says it has a stability rating of 1.5 and the Nuke is 1.6???? Come on that has to be off. I have to crank the Nuke to get it to turn over, once it turns over it is a minimum 300 ft throw.

Now that FLX XL, I can turn that thing over on a 150 ft approach.

Yes...But the Speed is much faster. Which means it has to be thrown faster, but with the same torque/release...

I think that makes sense. The XL takes less force to make it stay straight.

My Nuke and Champ Katana fly nearly identical. They both hold a turn through out their flight pattern with lil to no fade. I'd say a broken in boss is similar but less glide.

I'm a Destroyer tosser. I tried the Nuke and quickly went back. The Nuke was a bit more (over)stable for me and took more "oomph" to get the same distance. I also don't like the rim size of the Nuke, and that may have been part of my problem. I throw Destroyers in the same range as you and I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, the Nuke won't be a magic distance bullet.

Latest posts