• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Nuke vs Punisher vs Crank

Expired

Bogey Member
Can someone explain the differences between these? I'm looking for something to slot in between a Force and Undertaker.

The ESP Nukes I'm throwing seem to only be good for hyzer flips. Anything other than that and they flip/rotate out to the right towards the ground very quickly.

Can someone explain the differences between these? I'm looking for something to slot in between a Force and Undertaker.

The ESP Nukes I'm throwing seem to only be good for hyzer flips. Anything other than that and they flip/rotate out to the right towards the ground very quickly.

Of those choices I would recommend the Punisher. It is definitely between the stability of a Force and a Nuke. The Crank is going to be a lot more flippy than what you're looking for, at least in my experience, although I have heard there are some magically not-flippy Cranks somewhere out there.

The Punisher is an awesome disc. Some call it speed 12, but I think its really closer to a speed 11. It has turn, but is not even close to what you'd call flippy. I can throw distance around 450 ft, and I don't have to put more than a little hyzer on a Punisher to get a nice long flight out of it. Give them a try.

^I second the Punisher suggestion. If thrown flat, you'll see some drift and a lot of glide, but when thrown with a slight hyzer, it will hold straight for a long ways. If you have access to a physical store, look through the Punishers to find one that is an oddball with a little higher PLH than the others. GGGT had 2 the last I checked, and they fly dead straight with predictable fade.

The newer runs of ESP Nukes have been pretty overstable. I would try some newer runs and if not, Punisher is a pretty solid second choice. Good amount of glide. Discraft would have hit an absolute homerun if the Punisher was a bit faster.

Buy Surges instead of Punishers! Only difference is less fade. Help me keep the Surge in production!!!! I'm begging you!!!

One of the things I love about the modern throwing style is that faster drivers don't need excessive low speed stability to pull it out of a hyzer-flip. Though I love that style of throw.

Buy Surges instead of Punishers! Only difference is less fade. Help me keep the Surge in production!!!! I'm begging you!!!

If you haven't tried a Surge (especially ESP), I think this is a great idea. It's an underrated disc and I'm surprised at how little "flip" it has while not having a super strong fade.

I haven't thrown a Punisher yet. As far as Cranks and Nukes, I gravitate towards higher PLH more overstable ones, typically in Z plastic. That means I haven't really run into the problem of too flippy... but it also means I may not have had the typical experience.

^I second the Punisher suggestion. If thrown flat, you'll see some drift and a lot of glide, but when thrown with a slight hyzer, it will hold straight for a long ways. If you have access to a physical store, look through the Punishers to find one that is an oddball with a little higher PLH than the others. GGGT had 2 the last I checked, and they fly dead straight with predictable fade.
Thanks, ordered 3 at 169g-171g. Hopefully they work out.
The newer runs of ESP Nukes have been pretty overstable. I would try some newer runs and if not, Punisher is a pretty solid second choice. Good amount of glide. Discraft would have hit an absolute homerun if the Punisher was a bit faster.
I guess the only way to tell if its a newer run is by the fancy foils?
I like Surges. Found myself only using them for S-curves though. And they're kinda hard to find in the color I want.

I haven't really found a niche for the Crank. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the mold, but it doesn't do anything you can't do with a Nuke or Surge. I prefer the Nuke to the Crank. Its a little faster and I get better distance with it.

I adore the Surge though. I still reach for it all the time on holes where I need just short of max distance. Discraft discontinuing it would be a huge mistake.

Latest posts