• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official P1 lovefest thread

krooster

Birdie Member
https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/p1-new

So who else is excited? I might be the only one, but I thought the P1 was gone for good AND IT'S BACK!!! Such a majestic disc deserves its own thread.

Still have a first run Maniac-stamp soft p-line hanging up in my garage to remind me of the first time I tried throwing a slow and neutral putter. Soooooo straight.

Who else loves the P1 and wants to share their P1 stories?

Aviar PnA

Through the years I have had many Aviars from different runs (PnA in DX and R-Pro, Classic) and I never found one that had as little fade as a P1. Exception is stiff P-line P1 which seemed to have more fade than D-line and soft P-line.

Maybe I'm the only one, but why does Discmania have to reproduce all their old molds exactly how they were?

For the popular molds I get it. People want P2s, FDs, DD3s, etc to be like the ones they know and love. I don't feel like the P1 was that popular as it was a rebranded Aviar P&A. They don't seem like they were ran all that much or at least stamped as such. Why not just design a new straight putter? Then seem to be doing just that with the MD1...

Maybe I'm the only one, but why does Discmania have to reproduce all their old molds exactly how they were?

For the popular molds I get it. People want P2s, FDs, DD3s, etc to be like the ones they know and love. I don't feel like the P1 was that popular as it was a rebranded Aviar P&A. They don't seem like they were ran all that much or at least stamped as such. Why not just design a new straight putter? Then seem to be doing just that with the MD1...

They did design new discs like the Link and Sensei (to name just two of dozens). I'll try a P1 if it is beadless. Never even handled one.

From a die-hard DM fan, not all the new discs are not designed to be exact copies.
The new MD3 has different flight numbers and it has better glide and less fade.
The new FD has different flight numbers and better neutral stability while maintaining the glide.

I suspect that they're re-designing the P1 to fly more like the P1X that Simon and Casey use.
DM needs a less stable putter with better glide than the Logic.
Next suspicion is that it will be Simon's disc. Either signature or even designer series.

I was really excited for this disc but after seeing the initial review videos Discmania posted on their website, the new P1 sure looks more overstable than the original.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone's impressions are, but the videos were enough to make me hold off on buying any until there is additional feedback.

I was really excited for this disc but after seeing the initial review videos Discmania posted on their website, the new P1 sure looks more overstable than the original.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone's impressions are, but the videos were enough to make me hold off on buying any until there is additional feedback.

It didn't take much use before the Rainmakers start turning nicely. If that's what you're looking for, probably get there quicker with the P1. If you mean the glide seeming a little less than the P2 (less than the original P1?), you might be onto something.

IDK if I want to try another putter. Maybe if they get some $50 5-packs.

Here's the thing. The P1 and P1x always seemed interchangeable to me in terms of having identical flight. I previously picked up a few Innova Nexus Xeros, which are just the old P1x mold. As expected they have essentially zero fade. They don't fight out of an anhyzer, even when thrown at much lower power than the throws in the new P1 promo videos. They don't dump at the end of a putt or need to be beaten in to get a super neutral flight. They are incredibly neutral out of the box, which was always my experience with the old P1 and P1x.

As far as I can tell from the new P1 promo videos, that's not how the new P1 flies. Will be interested to get more feedback though from people who have it.

From Discmania's P1 page:
"P1 is back and better than ever before. We went back to the drawing board to create a new and unique take on everyone's favorite straight-flying putter."

Sounds like a redesign.

Well I couldn't resist, ordered a few. The thing is that I've been putting with P1's for most of the last 10 years or so (maybe longer), from when they were only available in soft P-line. I flirted briefly with other putters through the years but always came back to the P1. They are the only putter that I clicked with for any extended period of time. The past few years when they haven't been available and then looked like they were out of production have been challenging for me.

I would feel bad not giving the new version a chance. We'll see how it goes.

Just received mine. First impressions based on 5 minutes of putting:

Feel: Feels exactly like the old P1, profile looks identical. Super stoked about this.

Flight: More overstable than I was hoping. However, this is what I expected based on the initial review videos. Still sinking about the same percentage of putts with it, which is what matters. Should be easy to adapt to it and I expect it will season nicely.

Level of excitement: Off the charts. Didn't think the day would arrive where I could buy P1's again.

Feel: Feels exactly like the old P1, profile looks identical. Super stoked about this.

Does the plastic feel the same as the old ones, or is it the profile/shape that feels the same?

I haven't liked the feel of the plastic of the new P2s, but there could be some variation just like DX plastic has.

Does the plastic feel the same as the old ones, or is it the profile/shape that feels the same?

I haven't liked the feel of the plastic of the new P2s, but there could be some variation just like DX plastic has.

The plastic does not feel the same. Feels tackier to me, more grippy, while still being very firm.

In my experience the old D line was either firm and not grippy, or less firm and grippier, but never this grippy.

I picked up a Nexus Aviar P&A before the P1 launched, but still got a P1 to try. I wanted a base plastic putter for shorter, tight approaches I that need minimal fade on. I love my Firefly, but when powered down it's just a bit too overstable even after a over year in the bag.

The P1 and Aviar are both extremely straight and have the same HSS. The P1 has a bit more glide as well as fade/LSS. The puddle top of the Nexus Aviar may cause it to glide less and therefore have less airtime to fade at the end, but that's just a theory of mine. For the specific slot in my bag I was trying to fill, I'm sticking with the Aviar, but the P1 is a nice disc. The plastic is basically the same as the Trilogy medium stiffness blends, although D-line Flex 2 might be the tiniest bit stiffer. As a throwing putter, I would have concerns about the longer term durability especially if you have rocky courses around, but you could say the same about DX plastic.

I'm a little confused as to how this got labeled as having zero fade. Seems like 0.5 would be more appropriate, using Discmania rating system.

I wonder if the production runs didn't end up flying like the prototypes.

Spent this morning comparing the new P1 to a Nexus Xero (which is just the old P1x mold). It's pretty clear that I'm going to be going with the Xero for putting duties.

The new P1 seems to be faster with a bigger dump when it runs out of steam. Some will probably like this but I'm not a fan of fast putters, I like to be able to put them on a line and know they will hold the line even with less power. Xero goes straight even at lower power like the old P1 and P1x did.

One of the video reviews compared the new P1 to a Pure, I think that's an accurate description.