• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio course suggestions

Looks like you got some good courses there. Pike lake is one of my personal favs. I grew up pretty close to there, although the course did come until I moved away, and every time I get back I make sure I have time to play this one. you'll want to really keep an eye on your disc, bring plenty of water, and be ready to hike. Also make sure you give yourself plenty of time to play. The first time I played it took a little over 3 hours.

Deer Lakes is the best Pitt area course IMO. I recently did a west PA trip. I d recommend Pymatuning and Seven Springs if you can swing it. Both are new and are supposed to be completey playable this summer. I played Pymatuning back 9 are complete and it was easily the most fun open course I have played to date. Seven Springs is the best ski hill course I have played to date it featured 2 lakes and excellent use of terrain. It was more than just chuck it up and down the mountain. Morraine is challenging but to me a tiny notch below Deer Lakes, still better than 99% of courses in the world and a must play. I'd skip Knob Hill It's a good course but gets a lot of sentimental votes from locals based on rep I think. IUP lodge is pleasurable and clean and just a wonderful day as well but a bit to the east of PITT. I wanted to get to Thompson but ran out of time. Either way your starting with Idlewild and finishing with Deer Lakes that is some kind of amazing disc golf sandwich enjoy!

Have to agree with optidiscic, Deer Lakes is primo. Moraine & Knob Hill both very solid, but Deer Lakes really blew me away.

The back 9 at Thompson Park is excellent. Front 9 is OK, but back nine is killer.
Thanks, that is new one for me. Looks like my kind of course.
Could spend another day around Pittsburgh picking up IUP,Thompson and Schenley...but would have to knock out two courses on Lake Erie (Sims and Lake Shore).

Pymatuning is close to ohio border and close to lake Erie....I d consider that one strongly. I'm beginning to get jealous....If your a serious disc golfer, which I know you are, your really going to love deer lakes.....just a fun and challenging day. Im looking for excuses to get back there one day. Be sure to be aware of what the Orange Belt is. Its the route to the park basically....just keep following signs for the orange belt regardless of which way the roads go...just follow the silly orange signs....I had no idea what an orange belt was and got lost a few times.

Pymatuning is close to ohio border and close to lake Erie....I d consider that one strongly. I'm beginning to get jealous....If your a serious disc golfer, which I know you are, your really going to love deer lakes.....just a fun and challenging day. Im looking for excuses to get back there one day. Be sure to be aware of what the Orange Belt is. Its the route to the park basically....just keep following signs for the orange belt regardless of which way the roads go...just follow the silly orange signs....I had no idea what an orange belt was and got lost a few times.
Thanks, I'll look into Pymatuning. If we get fouled up on the weather, I'll probably cut out the Pittsburgh courses and do them on another trip.

I'm really not a serious disc golfer if by serious, you mean being any good.
I can do ok on short woods courses, but when I get on a course like Seneca, I should just leave my bag in the car cuz I'm a total DG poser.
I can however, stink up a course and appreciate it at the same time, with the best of em. Sometimes I just have to settle for one good shot a round. My sons get some respectable distance, and they enjoy open courses, so at least the majority of us will be doing the courses justice.:D.

Hey Dave, just my 2 cents worth.

Here's our current (but very tenative) plan;
June 8-9 (Kings Island)
Idlewild/Mt. Airy/Lincoln Ridge
June 11
Pike Lake/Great Seal
June 12
Deis Hill/Arboretum-Spiker/Lincoln Park
June 13 (Cedar Point)
June 14
Sims/Euclid
June 15
Moraine
June 16
Knob Hill/Deer Lakes

but after looking at your tenitive schedule. and the dates in which you plan to play. And having played all but 6 of the current 93 DGC in Ohio (99 DGC played total in Ohio). I would suggest not going to CEDAR POINT on a saturday unless you like standing in longer lines. I would suggest (if you can) going to the POINT during the week.

but say you can't alter your schedule. I still recommend coming to Stark County (home of Canton/ Massillon DGC's, amongst others) and playing the Massillon course. It's really looking nice since the SCDGA cleaned it all up for our recent Hall of Chains tournament. I also suggest playing DOVER's Dies Hill or city park. That's about 20 minutes south of Canton on I-77. but if your a traveler like me. and was traveling from I-71 towards Stark County, I would suggest stopping by real quickly and play the NEW Charles Mills (should be open for play about the time your traveling our way) Lake Park DGC http://www.mwcdlakes.com/ camping is available here. It's only 9 holes, but it's a really cool 9 as you play out and over to an island and back. Then I would continue eastward on rt.30 (watch your speed on 30) and play Wooster's Freedlander Park, then from Wooster take rt. 250 east to Dover and play Dies Hill red or white tees (blue if your really sadistic), then head north on I-77 and play Canton or Massillon (both are looking good after the SCDGA has really done a great job cleaning up the parks for last month's Hall of Chains tournament). Canton course is minutes away from I-77 (exit 107 A) and Massillon is 20 minutes west of I-77/ rt. 30 interchange (both are cool courses, I can walk to Arboretum/ Spiker Park. but find myself playing Massillon more often), then I would travel up to north to Portage Lakes to camp http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/ataglance/tabid/76/Default.aspx . Portage Lakes is in the process of developing an awesome DGC (we have 7 baskets sold and looking for more sponsers for a 18 hole championship course), but you can camp at the State Park and that's minutes away from I-77. the next day I would play Medina (Ohio's first DGC) and (host to a 4th of July tournament that will feature Ken Climo, Dave Feldberg, Avery & Valarie Jenkins, Elaine King, Eric Vandeberg and a slew of our sports top players both male and female, check out the guest list at http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9033 ), then from Medina I would suggest going and play Sim's park and stopping by at Scotti's ( This is the man and the restuarant to visit when done playing for the day for a night cap Scotti's is located just off of I-90, turn north onto E.185th, and the Itallian eatery will be on your left), I'd also suggest playing another cool 9 hole course in Osborne Park in Willoughby. Hole # 4 is as close as you want to get to Lake Erie, infact being a LHBH player I throw my shot out over Lake Erie and have it come back in towards the basket.

Give me a ring, if you need a guide at either Canton or Massillon.

Dan 'hyzer'
pdga # 4697
DGCR # 1017

Last edited:
I can however, stink up a course and appreciate it at the same time, with the best of em. Sometimes I just have to settle for one good shot a round

I love it! I have done some stinky appreciation myself....have fun! Either way fantastic itinerary. I guess I meant serious meaning your dedication to spending all day playing courses and all week driving from course to course. I'm average at best but obsessed to play the best courses. I always say if I threw more shots then perhaps I had more shots and thus more fun!

I would suggest not going to CEDAR POINT on a saturday unless you like standing in longer lines. I would suggest (if you can) going to the POINT during the week.

Oh yeah... very good advice there.
ththgoodpost.gif

Kings Island is now owned by the company that owns cedar point they both rock, but of course the roller coast is number one by far. The millinium best coaster ever.

the next day I would play Medina (Ohio's first DGC) and (host to a 4th of July tournament that will feature Ken Climo, Dave Feldberg, Avery & Valarie Jenkins, Elaine King, Eric Vandeberg and a slew of our sports top players both male and female, check out the guest list at http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9033 )

Holy crap... that's a who's who of DG on that list! :eek:

Hey Dave, just my 2 cents worth.

but after looking at your tenitive schedule. and the dates in which you plan to play. And having played all but 6 of the current 93 DGC in Ohio (99 DGC played total in Ohio). I would suggest not going to CEDAR POINT on a saturday unless you like standing in longer lines. I would suggest (if you can) going to the POINT during the week.

but say you can't alter your schedule. I still recommend coming to Stark County (home of Canton/ Massillon DGC's, amongst others) and playing the Massillon course. It's really looking nice since the SCDGA cleaned it all up for our recent Hall of Chains tournament. I also suggest playing DOVER's Dies Hill or city park. That's about 20 minutes south of Canton on I-77. but if your a traveler like me. and was traveling from I-71 towards Stark County, I would suggest stopping by real quickly and play the NEW Charles Mills (should be open for play about the time your traveling our way) Lake Park DGC http://www.mwcdlakes.com/ camping is available here. It's only 9 holes, but it's a really cool 9 as you play out and over to an island and back. Then I would continue eastward on rt.30 (watch your speed on 30) and play Wooster's Freedlander Park, then from Wooster take rt. 250 east to Dover and play Dies Hill red or white tees (blue if your really sadistic), then head north on I-77 and play Canton or Massillon (both are looking good after the SCDGA has really done a great job cleaning up the parks for last month's Hall of Chains tournament). Canton course is minutes away from I-77 (exit 107 A) and Massillon is 20 minutes west of I-77/ rt. 30 interchange (both are cool courses, I can walk to Arboretum/ Spiker Park. but find myself playing Massillon more often), then I would travel up to north to Portage Lakes to camp http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/ataglance/tabid/76/Default.aspx . Portage Lakes is in the process of developing an awesome DGC (we have 7 baskets sold and looking for more sponsers for a 18 hole championship course), but you can camp at the State Park and that's minutes away from I-77. the next day I would play Medina (Ohio's first DGC) and (host to a 4th of July tournament that will feature Ken Climo, Dave Feldberg, Avery & Valarie Jenkins, Elaine King, Eric Vandeberg and a slew of our sports top players both male and female, check out the guest list at http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9033 ), then from Medina I would suggest going and play Sim's park and stopping by at Scotti's ( This is the man and the restuarant to visit when done playing for the day for a night cap Scotti's is located just off of I-90, turn north onto E.185th, and the Itallian eatery will be on your left), I'd also suggest playing another cool 9 hole course in Osborne Park in Willoughby. Hole # 4 is as close as you want to get to Lake Erie, infact being a LHBH player I throw my shot out over Lake Erie and have it come back in towards the basket.

Give me a ring, if you need a guide at either Canton or Massillon.

Dan 'hyzer'
pdga # 4697
DGCR # 1017
Dan
Thanks,I'll definitely pay Scotti a visit. That's a wealth of great info. I'll send you a PM when we get things finalized. It would be great to have a guide at Canton.
Good point about Cedar Point.
I guess we could always reverse the route and hit Pittsburgh first and be at Cedar Point midweek...

I've always liked the idea of getting the bulk of the driving done early, then meandering back home on a road trip. With that in mind, here's the revised schedule;
June 8
Pymatuning
Sims
June 9 (Cedar Point)
East Harbor State Park
June 10 ????
Here's where I'm getting bogged down with all the possiblilites (assuming one day is enough at Cedar Point/East Harbor).
Roscoe Ewing
Freelander
Portage lakes
Charles Mill
Sandusky Res
Hudson Springs

When you get near Idlewild, Banklick...err..Lincoln Ridge...give me a PM and I'll guide you around. Also, if you go to Kings Island...you have 3 small..but good courses near Kings Island in The Gulley, Monroe, Turtle Creek... I hope you get to play Pike Lake and Great Seal as well...if you like wooded courses..you'll love them. Pike Lake is a favorite of mine...love the course...don't do so well in tournaments there.

Also, Sims in Cleveland is a nice course with a great view of the Lake...if you ever get a chance to play in one of Scotti's tournaments....you will be amazed at the food spread he puts out for everyone. I played this tournament last year with a 101F temp but still managed to enjoy myself immensely. Scotti is a true asset to disc golf.

When you get near Idlewild, Banklick...err..Lincoln Ridge...give me a PM and I'll guide you around. Also, if you go to Kings Island...you have 3 small..but good courses near Kings Island in The Gulley, Monroe, Turtle Creek... I hope you get to play Pike Lake and Great Seal as well...if you like wooded courses..you'll love them. Pike Lake is a favorite of mine...love the course...don't do so well in tournaments there.

Also, Sims in Cleveland is a nice course with a great view of the Lake...if you ever get a chance to play in one of Scotti's tournaments....you will be amazed at the food spread he puts out for everyone. I played this tournament last year with a 101F temp but still managed to enjoy myself immensely. Scotti is a true asset to disc golf.
Thanks. At this point we will be in the Canton area on the 11th, and do Great Seal and Pike Lake on the 12th, before hitting Cincy on the 13-14.
I think Pittsburgh warrants a whole trip by itself;
Moraine
Thompson
Schenley
Knob Hill
Deer Lakes
IUP
Prince Gallitzin
Seven Springs

The best days to go to the Point or Kings Island are definitely overcast/damp days, if not a weekeday. If you go to Cedar Point the Power tower is a great thrill ride and the line is typically shortish and moves quickly. The Millenium Force is the only coaster I've been on that justified waiting for the front car. I assume its still running, as I haven't been there in a couple years but Cedar Point also has the previous coaster height record holder in the Magnum. Cool thing about that coaster is I hear its time is limited ... all these years of rides on it have caused the bottom of the big drop to start to sink into the ground.

I've been to Deis Pk and can guarantee it is worth your time as it is probably the best course in Ohio!
Don't let the 1st hole, about 800ft, scare you.

I've been to Deis Pk and can guarantee it is worth your time as it is probably the best course in Ohio!
Don't let the 1st hole, about 800ft, scare you.
It won't scare me at all...if I survive riding the world's tallest coaster that is sinking into the ground.:eek:

Portage Lakes doesn't have a Disc Golf course, yet. (we have 7 holes paid for, but nothing in the ground yet. seeking sponsers if you know of any ;))

but it does have camping and is within 20-40 minutes away from the Canton, Massillon, Dover, Medina, and Cleveland courses.

Another cool course to play is Clarence Darrow Park in Warren, it has 15 holes in a wooded type of setting, with another 9 open across the street at the Kent St./ Trumbell campus. and Warren is in between Pittsburgh and Canton (more close to Youngstown)

Scotti's is a treat to have a cold brew and excellent (and i'm not just saying that to be kind, it is delicious) Itallian meal after a day of playing DG.

Scotti's Italian Eatery
882 E 185th St
Cleveland, OH 44119
(216) 481-8995