• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okthorwberfest 2019?

twistedmangled

Par Member
So Okthrowber will be upon us in 14 days and I haven't seen a single post about the dye contest! Will we have an 11th annual Okthorwberfest?

It seems that participation the last few years has dwindled and interest in dying disc in general seems to be fading at least that is the trend that I see here on DGCR.

So whats up? Whats happening? Where did all of the dyers go? Anybody have any thoughts? Is Okthrowberfest dead?

So whats up? Whats happening? Where did all of the dyers go? Anybody have any thoughts? Is Okthrowberfest dead?

Nothing. Nothing. Home. No. Probably. :|

Being a little more serious: Okthrowberfest was dead when Bennett left. Noill put in a valiant effort to keep it alive, but it needs a dyer to run it with the energy that Bennett had for it. He put SO much time into (gathering sponsors, promoting it here and elsewhere, doing a huge payout spreadsheet, not to mention participating), and really made it what it was almost single handedly.

Once he bailed, I figured this would happen sooner than later.

Last edited:
This is a sad day :\:|. I have really enjoyed this contest as a participant and a spectator. Its always been so cool to see the awesome work that that everyone brings to the contest.

I have really enjoyed this contest as a participant and a spectator.

You and me both. But it was more fun when Bennett was here and there were like 30-40 entries. The last couple years weren't up to standard. I wasn't likely to do it this year anyway.

Don't give up guys! Noill could still have something in the works.
I don't think there was anything posted this time last year.
OctNovDecthrowberfest seems to get going a little later each year, which is fine by me. Cold weather is for disc dyeing, warm weather is for disc throwing.

(I may be overly optimistic because I have already started some dyes. It would be a real bummer if Okthrowberfest went away.)

If no one from previous years wants to run it, I will.

It won't be like Bennett, so don't expect it. But I will collect discs, post pictures, and threads, and handle payouts. If people would like this let me know and I will create a thread and begin setting up entry information.

I just logged on to message Noill about this. I hope it's a go! I have a fun idea brewing

Hey all! Last year's competition met my goals for donations. I worked over the proceeding months to bring in many donations. I think we got it to a really high dollar value and I was happy with it. This year, I don't know if I can donate that kind of effort again. However, if the community comes together and we get a good field of contestants, then I will do everything I can to pull it off again.

Another idea would be to keep it small intentionally. Small prize table and small field of contestants.

Any thoughts or comments?

Any thoughts or comments?

giphy.gif

You could always loan out the ban hammer for donations again, seemed to work pretty well. :hfive::D

heh...yeah, I all but sold my soul to get donations last year

:)

let's see who wants to do it this year:

Fill in your name in the first available spot. Spread the word to other members who will consider signing up.

Thanks!

PS- I'm down to offer the hammer once again.

I like the idea. Any takers or other ideas? I would love to do an 11th edition of this. Anyone want to help?

Count me in on the list. It's like playing in tourneys; I know I'm not gonna win, but love to compete none the less. I'm down to help with donations. Not sure if I would be able to help much with the tech stuff, but I'm sure y'all got that covered. I would be willing to compile donations and get prizes shipped. Just let me know

Long-time lurker, first-time poster :)

I'd be happy to contribute to the pot. Though this corner of the forum doesn't get as much love as it used to, I really like seeing the creative ways that people rise to the challenge.

I'm in CZ and struggling to get my hands on the right materials, but they should all be here soon so I can try my hand at this. Until then, I'm just absorbing knowledge and inspiration from all your fine folk. Thanks so much for that! :)

heh...yeah, I all but sold my soul to get donations last year

:)

let's see who wants to do it this year:
1. twistedmangled (2X Okthroberfest dying champion!)

Fill in your name in the first available spot. Spread the word to other members who will consider signing up.

Thanks!

PS- I'm down to offer the hammer once again.

If the due date is the end of Okthrowber I can knock one out!

Like I said when I started this thread its just seems like disc dying is just not the same as it once was. There really doesn't seem to be the interest that there was a few years ago. Whats changed? Is it too much work? Is it too frustrating that you do a complex dye and the dye migrates and bleeds together and it makes your hard work looks like a 5 year old colored it with sharpie? I wonder if its just time? Too many things going on? I know in my neck of the woods there are more disc golf events than there have ever been it seems like there is a tournament every weekend.