• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Is it black? I had a buddy that only used black 150g 86 Softies back in the day. He was fun to play glow with. :|
I'm playing Frisbee golf again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 150g 86 Softie.jpg
    150g 86 Softie.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 127
Does anybody else have this problem on Disc Golf Scene? Since PDGA numbers now have an extra number there is a woman with 111351 and numbers 113510-9 are all taken. People join leagues that register on Disc Golf Scene where the league person drops either the "1" in front of any of the numbers behind and voilà; there are results from a Woman's disc golf league in Ann Arbor on my profile. :\

picture.php

Which is totally misleading; somebody would have to do some seriously heavy lifting to carry me under par at Bandemer Park. :|

Does anybody else have this problem on Disc Golf Scene? Since PDGA numbers now have an extra number there is a woman with 111351 and numbers 113510-9 are all taken. People join leagues that register on Disc Golf Scene where the league person drops either the "1" in front of any of the numbers behind and voilà; there are results from a Woman's disc golf league in Ann Arbor on my profile. :\

picture.php

Which is totally misleading; somebody would have to do some seriously heavy lifting to carry me under par at Bandemer Park. :|

113517 is the PDGA # of the Ann Arbor women in question.

I have not had any issues.

picture.php

A little further digging shows that those particular scores do not show up under her profile, so I am guessing the League Coordinator fudged a number somewhere, when entering here PDGA number to link her profile to the league.

Also, there should be exactly NO heavy lifting to shoot under par at Bandy.

Not for white, and certainly not red, but blue tees ain't no cakewalk.

Can't believe 3P's been visiting town to play in a league, and he never even asked me to join him for a round. :(

That's neither gritty or graceful. That's just rude. :|

Last edited:
Not for white, and certainly not red, but blue tees ain't no cakewalk.

Can't believe 3P's been visiting town to play in a league, and he never even asked me to join him for a round. :(

That's neither gritty or graceful. That's just rude. :|
The girls say you make them "uncomfortable". :|

A little further digging shows that those particular scores do not show up under her profile, so I am guessing the League Coordinator fudged a number somewhere, when entering here PDGA number to link her profile to the league.
It was simple back when it happened; the league coordinator left the 7 off the end of the PDGA number and linked it to my profile. The league results have the woman's name, though. I contacted the woman running the league about it years ago when it was happening, but she didn't fix it. Disc Golf Scene won't fix it. So there it is.

When I don't know the course I use my cart with my bag that has about 24 discs in it.
I do the exact opposite; when I don't know the course I strip down to a minimalist bag of 6-8 discs and try to keep things simple.

When I know the place and it's cart friendly, I take the cart that is crammed full of God knows what.

Aging is largely a result of accumulating insults to the body: Injuries, ingesting poisons, infections & parasites, irradiation.

It's waaay more complicated than that (obviously). You could live a isolated life free of those injuries to the body and while you'd have a lower incidence of all cause mortality, you'd still experience age related decline, eventual disease and death on a time-line that wasn't that far off of the mean.

I think a much more accurate representation is that aging is a result of pre programmed changes to the body on a genetic level that is eerily similar to planned obsolescence.

Future life extension and disease management is going to be all about genetics and bio hacking, possibly involving really complicated manipulation within the cellular machinery. I think once we figure out how to hack the cellular mitochondrial we will start to see some really crazy stuff.

113517 is the PDGA # of the Ann Arbor women in question.

I have not had any issues.

Looks like they dropped the "7" when entering scores. That's what you get for having such an early number. ;):D

Speaking of extra digits in our PDGA numbers, I met the guy who is ten times my number and we became friends! He coincidentally lives just an hour north of me in G.R. We play the greatest game there is.

He was originally an ultimate player.

Funny that you think an early has only five digits...

What would you consider only four?

... or three?
I knew a guy that joined like 12 years after me; he joined while stationed in Europe in the Army and got one of the four digit numbers they held out for European players. :\ I think it was the 8000's.

Last edited:
I was encouraged by every corner of the greater culture surrounding me in my youth to play that infernal game because I was a bigger kid and ya godda be tuff and **** like that. I was discouraged from two things I had a keen interest in doing because they were seen as weak and effeminate (music and tennis). Instead it was a steady diet of football this and wrestling that.

I absolutely remember seeing stars on several occasions from big hits. That was my brain sloshing around in my skull, but it's okay; it's character building. Am I right?

In 9th grade we were the scrimmage team in practice against varsity because at my small rural school there weren't enough bodies for them to pummel kids their own size. It's there day after day for months that led me down my first path of true depression. We don't raise quitters around here. You want glory and muscular manhood, don't you?

I did quit. And I did face many moments of "You're a big strong kid and football is good for you" from more than one adult at the public school I attended.

A guy across the street from me today had several big time concussions and injuries from being a very talented football animal. He was a key linebacker of a very good high school program around here. He had all daughters, but told me he'd never allow his boys to play football if he'd have had them. The injuries and mental problems are still haunting him to this day decades later.

Youth contact football is child abuse.

Yup I remember seeing stars and being dizzy after contact on many occasions. Coaches always told us we just had our bell rung and to walk it off.

I know you've commented before on how bad you are at disc golf, but.... did you look up/do you know Bandemer? Bandemer Reds are about as brand-spanking-newbie-friendly as a set of 9 holes in the woods can be.

I know you've commented before on how bad you are at disc golf, but.... did you look up/do you know Bandemer? Bandemer Reds are about as brand-spanking-newbie-friendly as a set of 9 holes in the woods can be.
I looked up Bandemer; I could totally bogey my way around that place from the reds. :|

Yeah, there was this fun thing my high school did where the freshmen would scrimmage against the varsity in the afternoon during the varsity two-a-day practices. It was supposed to be helmet/shoulder pad walk through practices, but when I was a freshman the varsity hit us hard and the coaches laughed. The sam linebacker that year was Bo Sherrill; he went on to play at Mizzou. He was a mean SOB; any time I came back to the huddle from the "walk through" without having been laid out flat on my backside was a moral victory. A guard on offense had asked my sister out and she turned him down, so when I got sent in there on defense he would fire out of his stance full speed and knock me over. He would do it on plays where he wasn't even supposed to block me; the coaches would laugh. It was all just an exercise to see which of us were dumb enough to take the abuse.

I broke during wresting. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I ended up in the hospital; we had to ride a bus over from the Jr. High to the High School to go to wresting practice and I stepped off that bus and vomited every day until my parents (thinking I had some sort of stomach problem) took me to the doctor. None of them ever thought to question the fact that the wresting coach every day let the light weight varsity wrestlers kick my ass while he yelled at me for being slow and no good and the rest of the team laughed at me. It was so humiliating that I had a panic attack and threw up every damn day.

My sophomore year of football was significantly worse than my freshman year; we got abused the entire season instead of just during two-a-days. By the time it was over I was done; psychologically I was as beaten down as you can get. Depression was an understatement; I could barely function. I alternated between rage outbursts and weeks of just not doing anything. I failed to appear for wrestling. I was going to stop playing football, but the wresting coach stopped me in the hall to chastise me for not wresting and he said "You're no good a football, you are never going to play. When you graduate, you are going to wish you had lettered in a sport. The only way you are going to do that is to wrestle." Which...dude, you yelled at me for an entire season about how I sucked. Anyway, he pissed me off, I played varsity football the next season and made sure to hang out in front of his class wearing a letter jacket a lot. :|

Somehow this was supposed to build my character. It was complete B.S.

Now I'm mid-50's and my back is so messed up I can barely walk most days. My shoulders are destroyed. My ankles are shot. All so I could play football in high school? Not worth it at all.

I also only had daughters, but if we had a son he would NOT have been allowed to play football.

Also when the wresting coach retired there were articles in the paper about what a wonderful man he was and all this volunteer work he had done. I wonder if the volunteer work balanced off all the damage he did to people like me on his wresting team. :\

Id like to think that things have gotten a little better regarding youth sports. I played youth and high school football, soccer, and baseball. I was by no means a great athlete but I was persistent and worked very hard. I can't even count all the times I had my bell rung as we used to call it. I'm sure most of these were concussions and to think we just played it off and nobody ever thought this was a big deal. And God forbid you made any noise about being hurt or you'd be laughed at and hazed relentlessly.

I remember a game where I got hit so hard I didn't even remember the bus ride home and my parents said I was acting strange. They took to to the hospital and the doctor concluded I had gotten a concussion. And of course I told my coach at practice that week and showed him my doctors note and he's like that's tough because I need you to play this week so just suck it up..lol. I was in the Army for 6 years and at least for me it was a much less toxic environment in my experience compared to high school football.

I took a good hit when we were fighting with pugil sticks and my drill sergeants were very concerned along with all the guys in my squad. Sorry for going off the rails a bit here but I haven't thought too much about all of this until I read through this thread. But yeah there's too many sadistic tough guy coaches and toxic programs out there.

My son went to the same school that I did and he was constantly being pressured to play football. He's 6' 3" 220 pounds and just never had a desire to play sports of any kind and I was totally fine with it. Although had he wanted to play I would've most definitely have tried to discourage it. He's into music and art and I couldn't be more proud of how he turned out. It just blows my mind that so many people pressure their kids into playing sports when they have no desire to do so.