• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
The older I get, the less I look like a disc golf daddy, I look more like a disc golf mummy.

(Gotta buy an elbow brace today to go with my two knee braces, tensor bandages suck :D)

Last edited:
During a day trip a month ago, I ran into a 70+ yr old local (named Chris) during a round at Findley State Park, in Wellington, OH.
Three weeks later, I ran into him again at one of my local courses (Kensington Green)… which is a decently long and hilly course. So we finished the round together, and played the 2nd course (Kensington Blue). Gotta give Chris credit for making it through both courses at 70 +. I know guys barely over half his age who run out of gas during a 2nd round.
I play a few times a month(early mornings)with 3 old guys--1 is 78, 1 is 75, and the 3rd is 69... They play most mornings at C.P.Adams -- depending on temp, they may skip the downhill and uphill holes, and maybe the 3 "long holes", but they play at least 20 holes a day...

I'm 5 years short of applying for membership to this thread but do have a question for the grizzled vets. Is it worth investing in a compression wrap/knee brace? I've noticed a twinge every now and then in my plant leg when I'm doing field work. Ive seen those Copper Fit commercials and they seem kinda gimmicky but ya never know

Copper fit is a gimmick. I use a Weightlifters knee sleeve on occasion, but I have found that strengthening the muscles in my knee has helped to alleviate pain. I mostly do weighted step-ups (starting on something low like the bottom step of a staircase)and wall sits (start with 3 sets of 30 seconds). I am saving up to get a proper resistance sled for sled drags. Overall, different weightlifting exercises has fixed the pain in my knees, back and shoulders.

Edit: I'm 41 btw

I'm 5 years short of applying for membership to this thread but do have a question for the grizzled vets. Is it worth investing in a compression wrap/knee brace? I've noticed a twinge every now and then in my plant leg when I'm doing field work. Ive seen those Copper Fit commercials and they seem kinda gimmicky but ya never know
I have used them from time to time. They seem to do a decent job of reducing inflammation.

So I suppose it depends what is causing the twinge in your leg. Compression wrap isn't going to fix a frayed tendon or wonky cartilage.

Edit: as Brockness says, physical therapy is more likely to be a longer-term solution.

Good luck!

I use the Bauerfeind ones.. a little expensive but they have held up well.

I have suffered from similar issues on the point leg, when I started some formwork in the spring I was loading my legs much better.... and I started getting the twinge like the first time I blew out my knee. Apparently it's common knowledge 😄 except for me but...

LET YOUR PLANT FOOT TURN AS YOU RELEASE!!!!

If it doesn't turn you will put all of the pressure on your knee and risk injury. I used to disc in my workboots for ankle support and grip but I've gone to a flatter sole shoe to increase slippage. It explains why everyone else was making divots and grass scuffs except me haha.

Also, when you are kneeling down don't twist. When I told the doctor about my injury and how it happened (after Sunday disc looking at a well pump), he says "oh yeah happens all the time, never kneel and twist".

I use the Bauerfeind ones.. a little expensive but they have held up well.

I have suffered from similar issues on the point leg, when I started some formwork in the spring I was loading my legs much better.... and I started getting the twinge like the first time I blew out my knee. Apparently it's common knowledge 😄 except for me but...

LET YOUR PLANT FOOT TURN AS YOU RELEASE!!!!

If it doesn't turn you will put all of the pressure on your knee and risk injury. I used to disc in my workboots for ankle support and grip but I've gone to a flatter sole shoe to increase slippage. It explains why everyone else was making divots and grass scuffs except me haha.

Also, when you are kneeling down don't twist. When I told the doctor about my injury and how it happened (after Sunday disc looking at a well pump), he says "oh yeah happens all the time, never kneel and twist".
54 years young, only 5 months playing, and no knee issues. But, I concur - gotta let your plant foot spin. I can see where not letting it spin would tweak my plant knee real fast, and real bad. Knees are not made for excessive twisting! Also follow through, or fight shoulder issues next. Next, I have to avoid locking out my elbows putting. I putt better if I lock out my elbows to end my spin putt, but it quickly lead to elbow pain that I could tell was going to get serious fast, so I gave it up. Lastly, especially at advanced ages, stretch first, for legs, shoulders, back, hips, etc. Trying to drive with power without stretching out and warming up first - yikes - I would hurt something so fast!

64 years old, just diagnosed with the diabetes thing two months ago. With the necessary diet changes I've been losing quite a bit of weight (down from 250 to 220 so far). Guess what? My aching feet and knees have lessened to a huge degree. I no longer limp around for 5 days after a day of disc golf and don't need to bring A535 with me any more. I'm figuring another couple months and I'll be able to play relatively pain free next spring. Looking forward to being able to throw Destroyers and Corvettes without worry lol.

64 years old, just diagnosed with the diabetes thing two months ago. With the necessary diet changes I've been losing quite a bit of weight (down from 250 to 220 so far). Guess what? My aching feet and knees have lessened to a huge degree. I no longer limp around for 5 days after a day of disc golf and don't need to bring A535 with me any more. I'm figuring another couple months and I'll be able to play relatively pain free next spring. Looking forward to being able to throw Destroyers and Corvettes without worry lol.
When I cut soda's out of my diet, I went from 225 down to 175 in a few months. I can tell the difference, but the diabetes has made my toes numb. I don't get the swelling in my feet as much either. At one time I was over 250 and the knees would hurt, that is no longer an issue.

Now it's just my back. It hurts all the time now. I can't throw as far as I use to and now throw fairway drivers on 250ft holes. Can't get the Roc to go 300ft anymore.

When I cut soda's out of my diet, I went from 225 down to 175 in a few months. I can tell the difference, but the diabetes has made my toes numb. I don't get the swelling in my feet as much either. At one time I was over 250 and the knees would hurt, that is no longer an issue.

Now it's just my back. It hurts all the time now. I can't throw as far as I use to and now throw fairway drivers on 250ft holes. Can't get the Roc to go 300ft anymore.
Some of us started late and have never been able to throw a Roc, Buzz, Compass or other slow mid, or even a fast Mid 300 feet. I am happy to get my Escape or other driver out that far. Congratulations on the weight loss. I could stand to lose 50 pounds.

I am in my mid 50s and have started to have lower back pain after a round. It will usually go away in 12 hours, but I would prefer not to experience it. I was told by a physical therapist to ice after each round, but -- you know -- who's got time for that? Here is the question -- Is this a matter of not engaging the hips or is it something else in the drive that can be modified to keep the strain of driving off the back?

I am in my mid 50s and have started to have lower back pain after a round. It will usually go away in 12 hours, but I would prefer not to experience it. I was told by a physical therapist to ice after each round, but -- you know -- who's got time for that? Here is the question -- Is this a matter of not engaging the hips or is it something else in the drive that can be modified to keep the strain of driving off the back?
Do you carry a bag? That is the worst thing in dg for your lower back imo. (have been dealing with various back issues for 25+ years)

Do you stretch out and warm up beforehand? I am 54, and that makes a big difference for me. My nephew is about 30, but with some back problems from pitching baseball, and he hurt his back by not warming up, and then trying to throw his first throw really hard. Also, doctor recommended and really helps me heal quick when my back is hurting - 1 Tylenol Arthritis taken together with 2 Ibuprofen. I am sure using good form makes a difference, too, but throwing involves back, knees, shoulders, arm, etc., and at some point, even with good form, we will all face father time and our aches and pains from many years will catch up with us. I love basketball, but sadly, 1-2 years ago I got to where my knees just can't take the pounding any more.

Do you stretch out and warm up beforehand? I am 54, and that makes a big difference for me. My nephew is about 30, but with some back problems from pitching baseball, and he hurt his back by not warming up, and then trying to throw his first throw really hard. Also, doctor recommended and really helps me heal quick when my back is hurting - 1 Tylenol Arthritis taken together with 2 Ibuprofen. I am sure using good form makes a difference, too, but throwing involves back, knees, shoulders, arm, etc., and at some point, even with good form, we will all face father time and our aches and pains from many years will catch up with us. I love basketball, but sadly, 1-2 years ago I got to where my knees just can't take the pounding any more.
Started stretching this fall, that is advice I did follow from the physical therapist. It helps, especially with the legs (somewhat helps with the back). I have arthritis medicine now and take a pill after playing, that helps too. Thanks for the advice, though. It helps to know that it isn't simply back form and just the body getting old.

Do you have video?