• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On Forehands

treethacker

Birdie Member
I have been practicing throwing my disc forehand and I know that alot of people say this is the easy way to start out throwing.
I have gotten in a bad habit of trying to throw with just my arm strength and nothing else.
I have heard about popping your wrist at the end of the throw to accelerate the distance of the disc but if you pop your wrist doesn't that mean that you have to stop your arm and pop your wrist backwards? I see people who make a complete follow through with their throw but how do you do that and pop your wrist backwards?
Also when I throw forehand I usually stand still and throw if I try a run up and throw I usually end up throwing the disc straight into the ground and last but not least I just recently noticed that at the end of my throw my hand ends up facing up towards the sky- palm up(maybe I am twisting my wrist and not popping it?)
I looked for some answers on this on youtube but didn't see anything addressing these problems.Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
if you need power the 2finger is best(pointer and middle and lip resting on bent ring finger ) but if you want control or looking for more spin i like the one finger(pointer inside and middle under lip but not bent) . i only use forehand for tight fairway shots where i need a different angle or lower line or im blocked by something so i only use the one finger grip as im looking more for consistency than distance. What i was saying also applies for throwing tamahawks , two finger for power and one finger and one under lip for control.

Last edited:
when i said bent i mean folded over with the nail facing up basically just there for support . and on the one finger grip the middle straight with the nail facing down just like the pointer but only there for support.

so are you saying hold the disc with the side of your finger on the underside of the rim? I have been holding the disc with the front of my finger under the rim,if I extended my thumb from the disc it would be pointing straight up towards the sky. Is this the wrong way?

I actually started out throwing flicks (RHFH). I then migrated to more RHBH, however I've discovered that I need to go practice my flicks more as well. I've been playing a LOT of very tight courses lately that require more forehands.

The biggest thing I had to do to get more of a pop in my wrist was more of a follow-through type motion...almost like throwing the flick normally - and then at the end folding my hand around, sorta like I was trying to reach into my pants pocket (on the other side of my body).

Anyway I'm sure that might not make the most sense in the world, but I wish you the best with your flicks!

so are you saying hold the disc with the side of your finger on the underside of the rim? I have been holding the disc with the front of my finger under the rim,if I extended my thumb from the disc it would be pointing straight up towards the sky. Is this the wrong way?

you wanna have your finger print facing up with the side of your finger touching the inside wall of the rim if your doing the one finger grip then put your middle under the lip but not inside the disc. I think what your saying is you have your finger print flat against the wall of the rim. i do tilt my fingerprint slightly to the inside and not totally flat like holding a pizza but only a few degrees and not totally against the wall.

if you didnt have a disc in your hand and you extended your thumb would it look like youre shooting someone with a finger gun?(non gangsta g style)

Yes! If I have one finger under the rim it is usually with the whole fingerprint against the rim and the thumb above it of course on the top of the disc.
I usually throw with that finger on the underside of the rim.

i would just start tilting that finger up until u find the right spot, u might like it flat against the roof or maybe just turned up a little more than the way your doing it now. I hope that i helped more than messing you up. good luck and btw i also dont run up, i just stand still with the top of my body facing 01:00 but keep my feet paralell to each other facing 12:00 but spead apart and just whip it without using alot of arm at all. ive seen people do run-ups too but those people do all forehand drives and i only do forehand on some of my fairwaydrives (200ft or so) since i can throw backhand 350ft+

before you try adding a run-up to get more power try that 2 finger grip first.

Thanks for the help. Think I may try the forehand with more of the side of my finger and see if that helps.
My backhand leaves something to be desired as I have yet to figure it all out,but that's another thread!

I think it is good that you are trying to develop more shots as this will only help the more unique situations that you find yourself in. There are probably a million different ways to do the different shots and you need to find what you are comfortable with. I use a grip for forehand that is fairly unique but you also need to know that I learned a flick with a catch disc while playing Ultimate. I just had to find a way to translate it over. As I learned to throw a flick with a catch disc, it was more about the snap than anything, to the point of my elbow actually moving backwards as I snapped through. If you can get that thought into your head and learn the snap then you can work on adding a full throw and a run up. It is kind of like the Dan B back hand video of working on things from the hit backwards.

I am trying to learn different throws but really I am trying to get a drive that has some good and consistent distance. I've been trying the backhand but that is a skill that has been extremely hard for me to master. My forehand has some distance and at this point I feel more comfortable throwing it for my drive(although I still have to use the backhand to).Nothing like poor drives to make your golf game rougher than it already is!
Still can't see me running up and throwing the forehand,as I said,when I do that it just crams the disc straight into the ground. I guess like everything else in this game - practice,practice,practice!:)

YouTube instructional videos are beneficial as well if you'd like to see a proper throw in action.

Treethacker, you might be "trying" to throw it too hard when you are doing a run up. You don't really need to put any more muscle into the throw then you would when standing still. The momentum of the steps and torque of your body are what put more power into your throw. That being said I certainly don't get it right all the time either. As you already said, practice, practice and then do some more practice.

Tried throwing some today and all I can say is......rough....real rough.
Long ways to go. As much as I want to just hit a course and play I am going to have to make myself just practice throwing drives and do nothing else for awhile until I can make some kindda headway with my backhand(really sucks)and my forehand(tried the "new" forehand throw and the disc wobbled like a tire with the lug nuts loose!)
Must.....learn....to......drive.
Must....make...self....practice.
And by the way,everyone tells me you don't need to put a lot of muscle into the throw to get distance.That might be true but I'll be darned if I have figured out how!
Drives are by far the BIGGEST stumbling block for me when it comes to this game.Have never figured out how to get distance and I'm kinnda wonder if I ever will!

Last edited: