• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On the edge of professional Disc Golf

Agreed madmax. Maybe this is just my personal experience, but the "heads" that I mostly see are some of the "types" of golfers I read complaints about on here. Mostly, lack of etiquette. You know, the ones that are down at the basket putting 8 different drivers upside down because "it's cool." Meanwhile you're politely standing on the pad simply waiting for them to stop farting around so you can throw. Look, I realize how this sport got its origins. That's all good. But what I feel (and I know I'm not alone) is that for the sport to "get big," such activities are going to hold it back. And I really don't understand why some people don't want it to get bigger. If you wanna talk about sketchy beginnings, look at NASCAR. That sport started from running moonshine for crying out loud. Granted, that sport I feel has reached its peak and is on the decline. But 10-15 years, it was HUGE. And why? It's not like Jeff Gordon was running moonshine. THE SPORT EVEOLVED!!

Sorry, I would say less than half of disc golfers are "pot heads".

So you don't like a good selection of discs either? Or the smell of fresh plastic?

Also what is a pot head? You put it in quotes, suggesting you have no solid definition either. I have never met a single disc golfer who was against Cannabis use, but perhaps I've just been lucky. People who use Cannabis both medically and recreationally are often more open minded and less discriminating towards others. Are you against acting like a good person? Do you think we should get rid of the positive reinforcement culture within disc golf too? I'm not saying they are one in the same, but I'm also not saying that they are unrelated. Professionalism =/= Elitism.

I would ask of you why it bothers you so much what others choose to do with their own bodies? It's not like you would ever be required to take cannabis to play the sport. The argument could be made that using cannabis is even safer than disc golf itself, only one thing on the course is weighed in grams and can actually kill you. So that can't be it...Perhaps a bong fell on your head as a child? I jest, but in all reality it's clear that those who have a strong disdain for those who choose to partake in certain activities are likely projecting personal frustrations onto a populace you can mark as the "outsiders" as a defense mechanism. I mean that's psychology 101 there, perhaps you need a script for some medical herbage yourself?

When I play through a group that is sitting around "medicating", I get to breathe that crap in and it effects me. I could care less, but what about the little kids tagging along with their dad that get exposed to this. This happens way to often and is both rude and unnecessary. Sorry for the rant, I'm done.

**** the pros. There, I said it.

So much cart before the horse bull crap to placate the professional contingent that's a fraction of the playing population. Seriously, how much entitlement can this "stoner sport" really create?

And the pay-to-play argument is only valid on a case by case basis. Here in NC, we don't have hardly any pay-to-plau courses and we don't have a large problem of shirtless stoners. I know we don't have a problem with that b/c I can go out into the general populace and maybe, maybe one out of every ten persons has even heard of disc golf let alone associate with a certain green plant.

But no, keep arguing fruitlessly about the need to get the payouts and big sponsors for Joe Pro. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because I'm sure Jussi Meresmaa has noooo idea what he's talking about...

Sorry but you missed my point entirely. He knows exactly what he's talking about. That's why it's such a shame that the language wasn't cleaned up by an editor. It's his second language, it needs editing to come across professionally.

When I play through a group that is sitting around "medicating", I get to breathe that crap in and it effects me. I could care less, but what about the little kids tagging along with their dad that get exposed to this. This happens way to often and is both rude and unnecessary. Sorry for the rant, I'm done.

While again, this is a problem of course overpopulation, but I suggest you do some research on the "Contact High" you claim to experience. The more likely culprit is your own mind, as you are experiencing the placebo effect. Perhaps you grew up in a time when you were taught the evils of the devil weed, but as one who has studied and had years of personal experience in the field of Early Childhood Development, most children would not give a second glance to one who happens to be using cannabis. Also they are prescribing medical cannabis to children as young as 6, but I do not provide arguments based on a false premise like the "contact high" myth we all heard in high-school.

For those of you who become easily frustrated towards certain individuals for so called "improper etiquette", do you know anything about these people before making accusations? Perhaps they are mentally challenged? Or for those you see partake, do you know that they are doing so recreationally and not to stop seizures? I'm sure the guy going into shock in the fairway won't hold up your game any... Did you miss the childhood lesson of what happens when you assume? Stereotypes are often far from what they seem, and it is a lot easier to hate than to love and forgive, why do you think Fox News still does so well?

Also, both of your posts show examples of stereotyping. The less you type, the smarter you sound.

Why am I still here?

in all reality i am a firm believer this sport will get to higher ground in the near future. it has been steadily growing for a while now and the number of companies making disc golf equipment is a fine example of that. there is money to be made and someone somewhere is smellin' some greenbacks to wipe they fancy ass wit.

Dear DGCR readers. I knew I could trust you on this topic. Let me clear my thoughts here a bit. First of all, sorry about my bad English (I know its not on professional level yet but I´m improving).

The main reason, I wrote that was to make a reality check and analysis of our current status. If you want to make something, you need to know your status.
Analyse - make conclusion - act. There are projects on my drawing board that affects 2014 and 2015. We need to be patient.

I know that this topic has been discussed here many times. Lets think this as an European version. Many of you have never been to Europe and seen what the sport looks like here. I´ve been everywhere and during my 19 years I have made my analysis of the sport. There are two versions of Disc Golf. The old and the New. I want to work work the new. I´m fine with the old version that is played in many states in US (and in Europe too). Disc Golf will always be free-to-play for most.

Great to see that my article has raised a lot of discussion in just a short period of time. Unfortunately, half of the discussion is about drugs and behaviour at the course. I have grown into this sport with no alcohol or drugs around me, so to me they don´t belong to the sport. I have to leave that discussion to others.

I believe that majority of Disc Golf will remain the same (especially in US), but I wan to work with the spear head. Thank you for your thoughts.

This is the image I want to make:
http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1950263

About the link I send. That was from European Open last July. This was the first time Disc Golf was aired on a national TV live. There were 1,800 to 2,000 spectators on-site and the broadcast was seen by average of 119,000 TV viewers and 13,000 stream viewers. I think we made quite a lot of fans that day.

Jussi, I couldn't agree with you more. First off, let me just state that I'm very glad that over in Europe, you haven't really had to experience the disc golf experience in conjunction with the drug and alcohol experience. I wish I could say the same for most American chuckers. And thanks for commenting back btw. Yes, your thread has brought up a certain amount "beat like a dead horse" topics. But only here in the states. You are absolutely correct in trying to spear head the sport like you are. For those of us that want to stand up to players in others sports and let them know we're not a joke... well, we need more people like you. Because that's what it's gonna take. It's gonna take many, not one, but many of us to think progressively on how to move disc golf forward and not remain stagnant. I have dealt with this on a local level and it pains me to see people "ok" with where we are at. So nonetheless, great article, and don't worry about the grammar. Your message was clear enough. Keep it moving forward!!

....and it pains me to see people "ok" with where we are at.

Seriously, it pains you?:doh:

Let me paint this picture for you and then you tell me if this could possibly happen: A big sporting goods company, let's use Nike, is interested in dg because they see that it IS growing. Then they're research department yields results of all the less than upstanding activities that happen to be associated with our sport.

THEIR research departments must not be very good. Last time i checked, drugs and alcohol are somewhat prevalent in skateboarding and snowboarding.

Last edited:
If it goes full scale professional, there would only be half of the people playing, because drug use would prohibit them from being allowed to play, and most stoners I play with always play better high. Which is a definite unfair advantage from performance enhancing drugs. Lol. Good.

Seriously, it pains you?:doh:

Yeah. It really does pain me because I've tried at a LOCAL level to help get this sport to a recognizable level, only to get shot down by people with the same stagnant frame out mind. I can't even imagine those that have tried on a national, or god forbid an international level (like Jussi) to try to actually grow this sport beyond a bunch of pot heads smoking reefer in the woods. Let alone those in a public park. (A public park whose civilians I've apologized to on behalf of my fellow disc golfers to because of how they handle themselves.) My hats off to those that look forward. It doesn't bother me that you can't see the bigger picture. It bothers me that you WONT see the bigger picture.

Jussi, Feldbeard, Dodge and their sponsors need to get together to create a new PRO association to support their shared vision of the future. I know I'd support it as a fan, promoter, and player.

I'll also continue to enjoy casual rounds with friends, the pDGA, and my rasta brothers. I love all dGolf!

What does that even mean? And why?

It means that the game will always be a fringe sport, especially here in the U.S. If disc golf grows to the point where every American knows what it is, then that will be big enough.

It's a casual game, and it should be. No corporate. No Nike. No spoiled rotten pros making huge money. When Paul McBeth walks I to a store to buy a gallon of milk, people don't stare in awe of seeing a famous athlete. I'm sure he and most pros like it that way.

The game will grow whether I, or DGCR wants it to. But let's not change what the game is. Let's not forget its roots. (The drugs and alcohol are a whole different story independent of what I'm getting at here)

Before ThreePutt comes in and says that disc golf wouldn't have been around without corporate backing from Whamm-O, that wasn't really the main point of the post. Europe can run with disc golf. Over here the culture won't allow it to be much different than it is today.

Perhaps disc golf overseas has the chance to evolve in a way that emulates the same difference we see in the soccer world. Soccer viewership is huge most everywhere but the U.S. despite extensive efforts to build the U.S. viewership via grassroots school programs. To me, watching soccer is just ahead of watching paint dry. But apparently what people outside the U.S. can become interested in watching is different. So perhaps there's some hope that the fan base for DG outside the U.S. has a better chance to be developed?

Latest posts