• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One hit wonders

birdie/polecat. any straight approach from 100 and in. ive knocked more than enough birdies with these off of less than ideal drives due to the slow straight flight they get with just a wrist snap across the chest (rhbh)

165 R-Pro Polecat = Money. The tacky feel of R-Pro, which I hate except in putters, makes the Polecat one of the most fun discs I throw. I do not use it for anything over 120 feet, but that disc just loves to run the chains and I got it dialed in that if I miss, I am usually no more than 20 to 25 feet on the back side of the basket.

I only really got into it in the last two months. It makes me wonder how many shots I could have made earlier the year when I was more active in tournaments in leagues. 2011 has been a tremendously bad year in regards of my game. I do not care much for ratings, but I am sure I dropped at least 20 points or so because of a few horrendous rounds. The Polecat probably would have saved a few of those opportunities that had turned into three putts and hopefully would have banged in a few of those long birdies in the process.

Meteor just like the OP. My use if different than his however. I use it for driving in the woods on slow fade to the right shots (I throw RHBH). My secondary use is to drive the guy I play with nuts since he considers the Meteor useless.

Right now, I am carrying a finely tuned pro boss that works really well for helix flying. It's in my bag for just one hole that requires this with extra glide...this disc consistently follows the path and climbs like no other!!

My Teebirds. They get used a lot because the one thing they're good at is "straight and far" and it turns out that's useful quite often.

Whatever distance driver I have at the time is another one. The only thing I use them for is when distance is more important than placement or I have a low risk chance at saving a stroke by gaining 10'-30'.

Anyone listing very overstable drivers might want to consider trying more types of shots with them. I find them to be incredibly versatile. If you pick a good one you can get anywhere from high putter to average fairway driver type distances with them. The flex shots you can get with them are also really handy and easy to perform consistently.

i have two discs that are only used for one type of throw.

champ orc is strickly for rhbh distance with a small amount of fade. i do not do anything at all with that disc other than that, not even spike hyzers.

beat pro d buzzz can only be used for hard/low throws but it is spectacular for those. it's an idiot proof disc. no matter how i throw it, it will turn right (rhbh). can't mess it up. as a rec player it's important to have idiot proof discs :)

I have not met a disc that I would carry for just one thing. Even Teebird, which ar good at straight, can also be good for sweeping hyzers, flex shots, even turnovers depending on where it is in beatness.

178g Glo Champ Firebird (Superflat!) - Overhand rollers only (which are my only rollers I throw.) Too overstable for my weak arm to throw overhand or backhand in the air.

My one trick pony is a DX Wedge.
It's primary role is to get me out of trouble when I end up in the woods.
It's great for short, finesse thumbers without a wide, side-to-side flight path.

beat to shat Pro Destroyer. Gives me a nice hyzer-flip through this one wooded hole/narrow path. Only hole it gets used on.:)

I have two discs that I keep in my bag that are kind of similar....

DX Stingray
DX Circle Stamp Cobra (very beat)..

Both discs will go to the right when thrown flat but in varying degrees....I love them both even though they do overlap.....but there have been times when I took one out and all of a sudden I found myself saying, "where is my cobra/stingray when I need it." So I keep them both in the bag. They are more utility discs but they come in handy more times than not in my case.

I also keep a SS Wizard that I only use for lay-ups to the basket...I don't putt with it or drive with it....it's gotten do beat that this thing is just butter when trying to get close to the basket...it stops on a dime and also has a lot of 60+ feet basket runs that I have canned...Can't give it up quite yet..

Last edited:
I have a CFR Firebird that for the longest time I carried specifically for one hole, one shot.
It was a 200' uphill tunnel shot with the basket to the right, and the Firebird is perfect for thumbing.

Now, I used the Firebird for a few other things, so it's not a one-hit wonder.

But that was a true one-hit wonder.

150 DX Firebird for FH Anhyzers that come back and land flat. I have two aces with the disc on my home course that no one else I know of has aced. I really only use that disc for one hole but it stays in the bag.

It is also the first disc I ever owned....

Latest posts