• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One step forward, two steps back

Toddinski

Bogey Member
So, it's form season and as always every time I fix one thing, I lose another. I abandoned all drivers except an understable fairway and am working on primarily throwing putters and mids.

At this point I'm able to throw my mid about 300 to 320 on a high flat line with relative ease. My putter is flying similarly but falling out the sky about 50 feet sooner.

Here's where things are crazy. When I throw my driver, it will either come out too early and hyzer out like 100 feet to the left, or it will release straight and hyzer out after being in the air for about 2 seconds. When I throw like this, it usually goes about 175 feet and left of fairway.

Just how different is the form from mid range to driver? I'm breaking all kinds of personal records on the course using only my midrange. Any thoughts?

Why bother with drivers if your mids are out at 325'? Noobs/noodle arms/geezers would kill for that range.

Why bother with drivers if your mids are out at 325'? Noobs/noodle arms/geezers would kill for that range.

It's not necessarily for the distance that I want to be able to throw a driver. It's for the different lines that I can't throw with my midrange.

I can't throw low ceilings, certain hyzer or anhyzer shots. If it's windy, forget about it. It feels like there's a lot of shots I'm missing out on.

When I throw my driver, it will either come out too early and hyzer out like 100 feet to the left,
This sounds like the wider rim is messing with your grip. There is more mass in the rim than with mids so it is ejecting faster. I think you just need to grip firmer.

or it will release straight and hyzer out after being in the air for about 2 seconds. When I throw like this, it usually goes about 175 feet and left of fairway.

This sounds like you're throwing it up and sky hyzering because you're used to throwing higher fit your mids and putters. Drivers get more lift usually so I had to learn to throw nose down and level with the ground to get it to fly farther. Not throwing nose down could again be your grip, and not throwing level is because of form. Maybe you can post your grip and get advice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a simple nose angle problem for the drivers.
In this case, the way you're milking the midranges with a high line, will be counterproductive to proper driver use.

So, it's form season and as always every time I fix one thing, I lose another. I abandoned all drivers except an understable fairway and am working on primarily throwing putters and mids.

At this point I'm able to throw my mid about 300 to 320 on a high flat line with relative ease. My putter is flying similarly but falling out the sky about 50 feet sooner.

Here's where things are crazy. When I throw my driver, it will either come out too early and hyzer out like 100 feet to the left, or it will release straight and hyzer out after being in the air for about 2 seconds. When I throw like this, it usually goes about 175 feet and left of fairway.

Just how different is the form from mid range to driver? I'm breaking all kinds of personal records on the course using only my midrange. Any thoughts?

I had a similar problem. I'm throwing mids, fairways to 300-320 but my drives were not going much further. I finally realized my rip finger was slipping on the drive from lack of grip on the disc. For me the solution was gripping harder, later right before the snap and also switching to a 2-3 finger grip...depending on the width of the rim.

I had a similar problem. I'm throwing mids, fairways to 300-320 but my drives were not going much further. I finally realized my rip finger was slipping on the drive from lack of grip on the disc. For me the solution was gripping harder, later right before the snap and also switching to a 2-3 finger grip...depending on the width of the rim.

Do you think it's a weak grip that's causing it to just slip out as opposed to ripping out like it's supposed to? Because it's not even coming out like a noob hyzer, there's hardly any height. It just looks like a really bad throw.

Do you think it's a weak grip that's causing it to just slip out as opposed to ripping out like it's supposed to? Because it's not even coming out like a noob hyzer, there's hardly any height. It just looks like a really bad throw.

Very well could be. Things to try would be smaller rimmed discs like a roadrunner, sidewinder, beast, etc, along with starting with a stand still, then a 1 step and finally an x-step. All done very slowly (at 50% power) until you're comfortable throwing the disc level and straight. Then gradually increase power. Concentrate on gripping the disc loose at first and tightening your grip right before the snap/rip. But the main thing is to slow way down while working on your form. It's amazing how far you can still throw while keeping your form very slow and accelerating at the right time.

I'm finding the same problems. Two things that helped me here: Establishing my grip around the index finger first and fixing my pull back to the wide rail - almost Philo like. I found when I was going bent arm like Simon my nose started and ended up.

I had the same problem; mine was I was targeting my rip finger to be my index finger rather than my middle. When I focused the pressure on my middle finger, everything felt better.

Latest posts