• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Only one;flip city,blueberry,paw-paw,I.D.G.?

Summer road trip

Which course do you believe I should enjoy first? Flips rated #1, but only one course. Blueberry has 5 18 hole courses. Paw paw sounds like a hike with a round of golf included. The I.D.G.C. Has 3 18 hole courses. Has anyone one played ALL of these courses? if you have, Which one do you KNOW is a MUST play!?

I live in Indianapolis and I hope to make it to atleast one for this years road trip.

I would play other courses on the way there and back. Just figuring which "destination" course would be the best to go play. Driving it, planning on playing courses every 3/4 hours(so I can stretch). I planning only doing this in 4 days.

I'm not going to get into the cheerleading about which course is better, but I will say that Flip City has a whole bunch of excellent courses surrounding it. The Mason County complex has three very good to excellent 24 hole courses. Plus you have some excellent courses in Traverse City... I can personally vouch for Hickory Hills.

At Idlewild you have Lincoln Ridge nearby, which some have argued is better than Idlewild, but I think there's a steep dropoff after those two courses.

If all the hype about Blueberry is legit, though, it's hard to argue with 90 world class holes on the same piece of land.

4 days from Indy-wow! I can only speak for Paw Paw as it's the only I've played.(2X) It's very remote and set in the mountains of West Virginia. More of a pilgrimmage to get their but it's quite a unique place. 2 huge courses with the tighest/longest woods holes you will ever play...and then some stellar big open holes. It's very rustic and at times bizzarre when you are out there but it is a disc golf trip you will remember for ever. You could spend a day at Paw Paw and Whispering Falls, Greencastle PA (hr away) and spend the other days hitting the best Pitt Courses Morraine, Deer Lakes, and 7 springs perhaps, If you make it Paw Paw theres always the mass of quality DG in Delaware not too far (Brandywine, Iron Hill, Carousel, all 3 are within 15 minutes of each other and all 3 are amonst the best Ive played) you could also go a bit south to Cape Henlopen and play on the Sand Dunes and get some beach/ocean time (another unique course) Within 2.5 hrs of Whispering Falls to the East in PA you have Quakers Challenge, French Creek, Little Lehigh Parkway, Jordan Park, Nockamixon, Tinicum, and Tyler. All are very challenging 60+ Par courses for top pros. I'd say any trip that included Morraine, Deer Lakes, Nockamixon, Iron Hill, Paw Paw, Tyler, Quakers Challenge, French Creek, and you have played some of the toughest/funnest woods disc golf imagineable. Whispering Falls, Jordan, Cape Henlopen are just fun courses to play with unique memorable holes. Tinicum, 7 Springs, Carousel, Brandywine, and Little Lehigh are more open but World Class courses. Hope that helps!

in 4 days my suggestion might be a bit too much to chew......Why not hit Flip and then cross the Upper Peninsula to High Bridge..... That would be an amazing and very do able 4 day trip IMO.

I'd drop IDGC off the list (unless you're planning this soon, and looking for warm weather). The courses are good, perhaps very good, and there are other fine courses nearby or on the way. But if you're looking for GREAT, IDGC isn't it.

I've played both idlewild and Lincoln ridge a handfull of times. I don't like long courses, I don't have a monster arm, but both of the courses are so well laid out well taken care of and beautiful I really don't mind just playing them and not keep score. Thanks for the info about the other courses around flip. That just made me lean more toward flip. If I ever have the chance too play blueberry,and the others, I may just fly up and drive home.

You can take the ferry across Lake Michigan from Ludington to Wisconsin to save time and catch Flip, Ludington, Highbirdge and Winter Park on the loop.

OptiDiscic, thanks for all of that info I'll have too look at all of the courses you suggested. I was also thinking of driving to high bridge then too flip,using the upper peninisula. That may be to much driving for me in four days. Maybe fly to highbridge,rent a car-one way, and hit flip.Playing 15 years it's really cool that disc golfers can now plan trips like this, playing "destination" courses. Thanks everybody for your time and suggestions.

Not easy to fly and get close to Highbridge. You could fly to Duluth (90 minutes away) and rent a car and try the one way drive. Rhinelander airport is a little closer but I'm not sure they have rental cars and likely wouldn't allow a one way trip if they did.

You can take the ferry across Lake Michigan from Ludington to Wisconsin to save time and catch Flip, Ludington, Highbirdge and Winter Park on the loop.
This. It will save you time and get you out from behind the wheel on a long trip. Win-Win!

Yeah, I'd second the ferry idea. It's extremely expensive IMO (seperate charge for your car and all the passengers), but it's not like there's an interstate across the upper peninsula that will get you from Highbridge to Flip as fast as you think. I've talked about making the trip from Grand Rapids to Highbridge using the route you're talking about and whenever I bring it up, the native Michiganders look at me like I've got three heads.

Flip City is the only one I've played, but if you go about 30 minutes up the road from Flip you can go to the Mason County Park which has 3 4-star courses, and if drive another 15 minutes north you have the brutal Leviathan course, another 4-star course. Of course, I haven't played any of the other courses mentioned, so I guess I don't really have a good frame of reference on the topic

edit:I'd definitely recommend Cgkdiscs idea, its only about 4 hours from Wisconsin to Ludington, and its 5-6 hours just to get from Ludington to Mackinac Bridge (Upper Peninsula)

Last edited:
Almost went on the Badger when I was in WI four years ago, but decided heading over to MI would add too much time to the trip. It was only $100 for 1 passenger + car back then.

The one problem with the ferry is that it doesn't run year round, so unless he's waiting until May or so to do this, its not an option.

Almost went on the Badger when I was in WI four years ago, but decided heading over to MI would add too much time to the trip. It was only $100 for 1 passenger + car back then.

The one problem with the ferry is that it doesn't run year round, so unless he's waiting until May or so to do this, its not an option.

I certainly wouldn't recommend coming to Michigan before May. It'll take until then for all the snow to melt off. They received 16 inches just this past weekend in Shelby and Ludington.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grr&storyid=45525&source=0