• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon Park ~ Atlanta Georgia

Thanks for the information Lewis. I creep the ADGO forums to some extent and on the Oregon Park Expansion thread there I saw something about more ballfields being built. Although no telling when those posts were made. I desperately wanted to play in FOP this weekend but can't make it home due to finals next week.

I do plan on showing up to some of the new Tuesday night doubles! And hopefully becoming a member this summer :)

Oregon Park

Rumor is that Kevin McCoy will be re-designing the course.

If this is true, Oregon Park will be taken to a whole new level!!

Think PDGA tournament type course. This would be a great thing for this area.

Kevin is a known course designer and knows how to get the most out of a piece of land.

I learned to play at Oregon Park and it will always be one of my favorite courses.

I also hope that Pitner Park down the road gets help from Kevin on the design.

In the future, there could be two "Championship" type courses within 15 minutes of each other. Throw in White Oak and we could host an awesome PDGA "A" tier.

Yes Kevin McCoy, that's our course designer/consultant's name. He's already walked the course with our TDs, though I haven't spoken with him myself. We're definitely excited about the benefit of his expertise, and it will be nice to have a quality reputation like his attached to our course. We won't have anything stupendous like what Flyboy has out in Whitesburg, but you can expect a number of longer holes in the expansion. I know it's hard to wait, but be assured we're gradually working towards our goals. It would all be so easy if we had liquid $1000s at our disposal and solitary ownership of the land, but it's public land with ongoing infrastructure construction and we need all the financial help we can get. I know it's hard to be patient, but sometimes that's all you can do. Think how hard it was for Colt McCoy to wait until the 3rd round of the NFL draft before Cleveland picked him. ;)

I agree that the current course has too many holes that are too close to one another. However, it puts a small piece of land to some use and some of those holes are kinda fun. By leaving those 18 and (hopefully) installing 18 new, more difficult (longer) holes some of the issue will be alleviated as some will still play the old course and some will want to play the new one. If they eliminate the current course the new course however good it may or may not be will still be packed full of 5-somes and 8-somes and lots and lots of beginners.

Let's just hope the new course actually goes in and lets really hope it doesn't suck.

I have only played Oregon once about 3 yrs ago when it was 9 holes and was the only golfer there when I started my round. By the time I was on hole 8, the park was packed. I am glad it was expanded and hope the alleged new 18 is a blast. I won't review it because I don't remember enough to write a detailed review, plus it would only be on the front 9. I remember there was poor signage and a couple of the tees were hard to find. If you guys wind up with 36 or even 27 holes, it would help Oregons rating and reputation if it had better signage to lead you to the next hole where needed. Of course for the most part you can follow the locals if it's your 1st time there, since it's usually busy. Is the land for the new 18 being cut out of the woods or what. What type of terrain?

I usually play around 8am as it's the only time you can play by yourself. Although by the end of the round it's already packed!

I heard a rumor that it's the busiest course in the state. From my experience there, I wouldn't argue with that claim.

As long as hole seven is nixed in the new layout, I'll be fine with it :)

In fact, I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is worth going to the FOP in May. It's difficult for me to get up there from where I live and if the course is as mediocre (as in, some great holes coupled with some outright lousy ones) as it was a few months ago, I simply can't waste the time and the $25 even if it is for an excellent cause.

That said, if there has been an improvement over the past few months I'd love to pitch in the money to play and support more excellent holes!

Last edited:
The course has changed very little if at all since last summer when we installed the new #8 back in the woods by the baseball field. However, for the FOP we're planning to put a whole bunch of temporary baskets around the new property, and mix things up a bit. And the more money we raise from the FOP the more we'll be able to do in the short term. :)

I speak about the FOP in the future tense because the thunderstorms on Saturday made us reschedule. It's now going to be on May 15

The "new" land is a mix of open fields and woods. It's hard to characterize it as any one type of terrain, but it's the same kind of rolling hills as the rest of the land.

Having Kevin on board ought to be awesome!! Can't wait for developments. You guys managed to schedule the FOP from a day we couldn't attend to a day we couldn't attend! Hope it is huge and you get some good money to go towards your baskets.

My major beef with the other side of the creek holes is the lack of proper bridges...hopefully you won't have to deal with that in the future, though one big hole on that side would be cool.

CraigD offered to build some bridges for the park to assist in crossing the creek but was shut down rather quickly by one of the "long time locals" so you have to find a way to cross several times.

I play there at least once a week, often twice or more. Maybe I'm just not paying much attention to the teenagers, but if you play there very often yourself, you'll notice a downward trend in the illegal drug use. I won't say it's not still there, but it's trending in the right direction.

So the current situation with Oregon Park is that Kevin McCoy is actively working on his design for a new 18 holes on the Swingtime property and the land that has recently been opened up at the back of Oregon Park by the sewer line construction. We're really excited to have him taking the design project for us. Also we still have plenty of spots available in the FOP on May 15. Please come support us!

We're also planning to get the Boy Scouts involved in helping us improve the course infrastructure, specifically with Eagle Scout projects. We're not sure what those will include yet, but there will be plenty of stuff going on in the park this year.

Also we don't know why the county cut down all those pine trees around the edges of the course, but so far they have only affected the shade on a couple of tee boxes around the edges of the course. They are not planning to mess with the interior of the course. :)

Wish we could come and FOP out but my clinic is that day. We will be back for the ace race though, that was fun.

Yeah the rescheduling opened doors for some but closed them for others. Have fun at your clinic. The disc golfing community needs more like it. :)

I wish I could make it. I missed the Ice Bowl because GSSS was rescheduled because of snow. Now I am gonna miss FOP because it is rescheduled. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait on the Ace Race this year for an OP tournament. Bill, Jeanette is looking forward to the clinic. We will see you Saturday.

Latest posts