• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OS mid or powered down fairway?

I believe that the prophecy is very similar to the Roc in all stages. And in moderate wind performs fine. The question here is really about when the wind comes kickin but not FD3 type headwind. Maybe I can learn to control the prophecy a bit better (which is what I'm tbinkong now) vs bookending my cycle and just jump to TB/OLF/FD3 as needed.

I've never thrown a Prophecy, but basically I could get away with a beefy Roc3 as my OS mid and then just go to my fairways if I don't trust it in that much wind. Some Roc3's are definitely as stable as my Verdict, the flight/speed is a little different, but I wouldn't need to step up to a different mold if I threw Roc3's. So if you have a Prophecy in that stability then you're probably fine. The Gator to me is true OS, and I lose like 50' compared to my normal mids. So it's not even the same shot...I can't think "it's too windy for a Roc/Prophecy/whatever, so I'll throw the Gator the same". In that situation if you still can't throw your beefiest Prophecy then a Teebird will work for sure, whereas a Gator would ignore the wind but be even shorter because they still aren't a fast cut through wind shape. And they need tons of height I think.

I've never thrown a Prophecy, but basically I could get away with a beefy Roc3 as my OS mid and then just go to my fairways if I don't trust it in that much wind. Some Roc3's are definitely as stable as my Verdict, the flight/speed is a little different, but I wouldn't need to step up to a different mold if I threw Roc3's. So if you have a Prophecy in that stability then you're probably fine. The Gator to me is true OS, and I lose like 50' compared to my normal mids. So it's not even the same shot...I can't think "it's too windy for a Roc/Prophecy/whatever, so I'll throw the Gator the same". In that situation if you still can't throw your beefiest Prophecy then a Teebird will work for sure, whereas a Gator would ignore the wind but be even shorter because they still aren't a fast cut through wind shape. And they need tons of height I think.

Proohecy is 5/5/0/2 I know numbers dont matter all that much but that's a guage for you. Its pretty straight to fade and glidey. Very Roc3 shape with largwr Diameter. I can add hyzer to get more fade obviously and fresh may call it 5/5/0/2.5 Some of them even being 3 fade.

really depends on if you want a big skip. I'll power down on an overstable fairway if i need to keep it low and skip hard left. Otherwise a OS mid is usually a better option because you'll have a more consistent landing.

Rocx3 and MD4 are basically a teebird midrange for me. The shot I really need it for (currently bagging MD4) is the anhyzer to flat glide right shot (the backhand players forehand shaped shot.)You have to hit a disc pretty hard to execute it, so it's not like you can just power down a fairway driver.

I never used to bag the super OS stuff. But I play a lot less than I used to and now there are a few shots that I throw more consistently with them in the bag.

Specifically I bag a Mortar, and a flat doombird 1. I probably throw them <1 time per round but they are there when I need them.

I rely far more heavily on more workable discs even in slight headwinds. MD3, FD, PD, etc.

Now I have a stack of more OS versions of every disc in my bag, those are reserved if I would ever need to play in 20+ mph wind but that's never happened so far because I'm only playing a few times a month casually right now. So they sit in the basement. Plus I'm a plastic fiend so it's a way for me to declare my addition has a "purpose".

I use fairways and OS mids. Two completely different discs. I tend to NOT power down, as when I do, mistakes happen. I try and throw the slowest disc I can to get the job done. (I throw putters A LOT, out to about 340'.) My fairways (FD3s, FD, Thunderbird) *could* be thrown on the same lines but they have much more of a chance of skipping and have a higher chance of blowing past the target than with a range-limiting OS mid, in my case, a Buzzz OS.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

I use fairways and OS mids. Two completely different discs. I tend to NOT power down, as when I do, mistakes happen. I try and throw the slowest disc I can to get the job done. (I throw putters A LOT, out to about 340'.) My fairways (FD3s, FD, Thunderbird) *could* be thrown on the same lines but they have much more of a chance of skipping and have a higher chance of blowing past the target than with a range-limiting OS mid, in my case, a Buzzz OS.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
A valid contribution indeed. Seems that the skip is the biggest concern and is something I didn't think about. IDK I think I am going to try and work on release angles first woth my Prophecy (5/5/02) and IF in the long run I need something more OS I will bag it but if not...... I am a fan of simplification.

Depends on the type of shot. I don't have that "gator" type disc in my bag. I use a Zone for putter/mid shots. My most stable "mid" is a Z wasp; the next step up is a Neutron Resistor (which is technically a fairway, but acts like a dumpy mid).

But i agree i much rather prefer to fully "commit" to my shots and disc down. I find powering down a faster disc usually results in me flaking out on the shot half the time.

I had a Gila and used to throw a Wasp IDK. I am seriously debating whether or not It's a necessary slot to fill. I mean if a headwind is up so high it's turning my mids it's probably time for a fairway I may out the wasp back in for a while too just to see.

inb4 Are overstable mids pointless?

I've been a long time advocate of the overstable mid (been throwing Drones for a decade) but truth be told the past couple weeks I can't help but think I've been wrong all this time. Today was my first round without Drones in my bag in I-can't-tell-you-how-long (one in my small, two in my large) and truth be told I didn't miss it. I'll need at least another dozen or more rounds to really make up my mind but basically it comes down to your own playing style/skill level/distance/consistency/basically every variable possible.

EDIT: Same goes for slower stuff...overstable mid or overstable putter? OS putters never get a bad name but the mids sure do:confused:
The really OS mid is only useful to me on wooded courses where you'd need a lot of flex shots. OS putters don't get a bad name I think b/c they're small diameter but with so many small diameter mids and low profile putters blurring the line these days it gets more confusing.

I still don't bag an OS mid really. I like my most OS mid to fly a good 0, 2 for dependable straight to fade shots thrown with power. I throw mids when I want to hit gaps or for really straight lines with mild ground action, for staying on wooded fairways but getting better distance than a putter would.

Threw the Wasp back in the bag today for a fun solo round and had a few good pulls with it but it wasn't a windy day in my area so what I really wanted to test couldn't happen. The Prophecy still is holding the spot alone..

Threw the Wasp back in the bag today for a fun solo round and had a few good pulls with it but it wasn't a windy day in my area so what I really wanted to test couldn't happen. The Prophecy still is holding the spot alone..

You had mentioned it and I personally think it holds true that for strong headwind a fairway is the way to go and it isn't the role of the OS mid really.

It seems there are a lot of threads get started like this saying such and such a disc is pointless when in fact it is a utility disc and often enough isn't needed on many courses and isn't used by many players. Singling out a particular type of disc as pointless or not needed due to whatever other factor is a bit akin to saying a particular throw like a sky anny or thumber or roller is pointless and not needed. Time and place. I know for my home course an OS mid is not needed. I throw a distance driver on a few holes but those are also not needed. anything truly US is also not needed. But I can drive to a couple different courses :45 minutes away and I want both or only one depending on pin placements.

Utility discs might not be needed, but they can often get the job done better than some other standard.

I know on the two holes on my home course I throw a Harp the local 1000 rated guys hyzer an OS fairway. I have been unlucky with skips on those and certainly don't range it as well as they do. For me the OS mid duty is more about how I want it to land, left and soft than how I want it to fly, which includes a Harp but I also throw a Pine and used to throw a Drone.

You had mentioned it and I personally think it holds true that for strong headwind a fairway is the way to go and it isn't the role of the OS mid really.

It seems there are a lot of threads get started like this saying such and such a disc is pointless when in fact it is a utility disc and often enough isn't needed on many courses and isn't used by many players. Singling out a particular type of disc as pointless or not needed due to whatever other factor is a bit akin to saying a particular throw like a sky anny or thumber or roller is pointless and not needed. Time and place. I know for my home course an OS mid is not needed. I throw a distance driver on a few holes but those are also not needed. anything truly US is also not needed. But I can drive to a couple different courses :45 minutes away and I want both or only one depending on pin placements.

Utility discs might not be needed, but they can often get the job done better than some other standard.

I know on the two holes on my home course I throw a Harp the local 1000 rated guys hyzer an OS fairway. I have been unlucky with skips on those and certainly don't range it as well as they do. For me the OS mid duty is more about how I want it to land, left and soft than how I want it to fly, which includes a Harp but I also throw a Pine and used to throw a Drone.

I was thinking along these lines when posting this. Now I guess I can always throw a Wasp/Taurus/Warrior/Drone whatever to compliment my actual mids (which ARE OS just not super OS 5/5/0/2) or just learn my release angles better (which is what I need to do then add an OS mid if I still feel like doing so) either way I go it seems everyone has their way about it. This has been an informative thread for me with lots of good input.

I skip the neutral-slightly OS mid (buzzz, etc) and go with comet, wasp combo. Wasp for flex shots, flat to fade and wind shots. I can always add more hyzer to my comet. As far as super beefy mid, I don't find much use in it. Of course there is always like one shot a round where I wish I had a zone or buzzz, but I like to be minimal.

Latest posts