• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] OS = "training wheels."

TerryTuffskins

Par Member
Played a round today with an older guy - he was pretty good in all three zones, just nice controlled form. The fastest disc he threw was a Beast, but most of his discs were under-stable.

I asked him about it, and he did drop a rant about today's OS discs: called em "training wheels" for all the "big armed apes" that throw hard.

I laughed, but wondered later if there was any truth therein.

Discuss....

All players would benefit from learning how to play the "old man" game. I know I need to work on finesse shots/angles/stalls/flips/rollers more than I do... and now I am pretty much an old man because of a dead arm. But that doesn't mean that players with big arms shouldn't take advantage of it and use OS discs...

It is my view that the slower and more understable discs are the training wheels that new players ought to begin with before moving on to more reliable models. :)

.... and soon I'll hear how a leopard can't be thrown over 300' because it "always turns over".

Leopards are great discs. But, I would not choose to hand a max weight Star Leopard to a new player, because it most likely will be too much for them. A lighter weight DX Leopard sounds pretty good though. Or, maybe even a disc that is a bit slower, like a Stingray or Wolf.

Did he also use a bunch of ageist buzzwords while calling "kids these days" entitled?

If I'd heard that, I'd have promptly taken out my favorite DX Roc and chucked it 100 feet past his Beast.

I can see his point. If ypu throw an OS disc it fades. It takes much more skill and finesse to hit your lines with a neutral to US disc. OS discs do have their place.

I agree. Its easy to get hung up on using overstable drivers a lot to cover for poor form. I've even been known to do it myself. I'll throw an XCal or Flick on holes where a hard Roc3 shot would work. Simply because I want to throw a disc hard and let the reliable hyzer path work.

I'd feel much less confident throwing something like a Sidewinder on such throws.

I've slowly moved away from my dependence on such overstable discs. I still bag the XCal and Flick, but I use them in more traditional roles now. I've been pushing my mids out further lately. Nice, straight shots that I used to use really overstable drivers for.

Oh, and I'm that guy who finds Leopards useless. I like some understable drivers, but not the Leopard. No matter how I throw the thing it flips. Violently.

Last edited:
Played a round today with an older guy - he was pretty good in all three zones, just nice controlled form. The fastest disc he threw was a Beast, but most of his discs were under-stable.

I asked him about it, and he did drop a rant about today's OS discs: called em "training wheels" for all the "big armed apes" that throw hard.

I laughed, but wondered later if there was any truth therein.

Discuss....

I've played with a couple of younger kids in tourneys and they have the (former) Paul McBeth look-a-like bags...Destroyers, T3s, Gator, Roc3 (basically OS stuff). Man can they throw far, but man they really don't know where that shot is going.

That's like a guys from the 50's in baseball saying, "back in my day we didn't throw 100mph, we threw 85 with curves and screwballs and were REAL pitchers." It's just an opinion, games change and you adapt or die.

Leopards are great discs. But, I would not choose to hand a max weight Star Leopard to a new player, because it most likely will be too much for them. A lighter weight DX Leopard sounds pretty good though. Or, maybe even a disc that is a bit slower, like a Stingray or Wolf.

And I see far too many new players who hellishly flex out or OAT OS discs, because well.. US discs are for suckers :p

In reality, they'd benefit from them far.. far more.. so yea, I do see the argument. Which is not to say I don't bag OS discs..

I've been told I'm "wrong" for using understable discs at all. I'll stick to Steady Ed's advice and use what brings me the most fun... :thmbup:

What fool told you that?

I agree. Its easy to get hung up on using overstable drivers a lot to cover for poor form. I've even been known to do it myself. I'll throw an XCal or Flick on holes where a hard Roc3 shot would work. Simply because I want to throw a disc hard and let the reliable hyzer path work.

I'd feel much less confident throwing something like a Sidewinder on such throws.

I've slowly moved away from my dependence on such overstable discs. I still bag the XCal and Flick, but I use them in more traditional roles now. I've been pushing my mids out further lately. Nice, straight shots that I used to use really overstable drivers for.

Oh, and I'm that guy who finds Leopards useless. I like some understable drivers, but not the Leopard. No matter how I throw the thing it flips. Violently.

I don't bag a Leopard, I have an FD for that slot. However I have a buddy that bags a Leopard/3 combo and I can throw them surprisingly well. You gotta power them down. It's all about angles just like the FD. If you don't like it you don't. I have been moving away from the dependence of OS myself and playong with more experienced guys and throwing a 167g. Roadrunner. Whatever works for you bruddah.

had a torque monkey on my card brag about "usually park putter on this hole" which was about 330 and somewhat wooded

so organically i said "thats awesome lets see it"

he threw the biggest flutter and over the top throw ive seen on whatever discmania's most OS putter is

it made it about 300 and it was ugly

Latest posts