• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Out of Production Innovas

mndiscg

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
What molds of innova are out of production? I've heard of the hammer and the pegasus recently and am curious as to how many more are out there.

Off the top of my head...the Ace (both of them), Barracuda, Bulldog, Coupe, Dolphin, Gopher, Gremlin, Griffin, Hammer, Hammerhead, Lynx, Moray, Pegasus, Phenix, Piranha, Puma, Python, Ram, Raven, and Scorpion. The Condor, Jaguar and Zephyr still show up from time to time as people use light ones for things like MTA, but for the most part you don't see them in golf weights anymore. There are probably more that I can't think of right now.

When is it an antique?

I still have a max weight bulldog in my inventory. It is a lower density plastic, like the hydra, so that it floats, and also has more plastic and a beefier feel for the same (legal) weight. I think that same plastic gets used for the very light weight 125g leopards and light 140g Zephyrs, (and some other similarly lite discs). Classic Cobra is another discontinued, but then I was told they are actually using that mold for the Star Cobras - maybe so!
Heavy - up to 200g Zephyrs recently got run by Innova because they are in demand for Super Class events.
I have a number of discontinued discs on hand. If you are looking for something particular give me a shout.:eek:

Bulldogs were pretty decent, I have a 175g now, I dont carry it but it seems to be a respectable wind approach and a solid putter.

I have an old DX python. I know that some of them turn up for sale pretty cheap online every once in a while. Ive seen the ace for sale at some places and DGC currently has the Pegasus for sale.

Off the top of my head...the Ace (both of them), Barracuda, Bulldog, Coupe, Dolphin, Gopher, Gremlin, Griffin, Hammer, Hammerhead, Lynx, Moray, Pegasus, Phenix, Piranha, Puma, Python, Ram, Raven, and Scorpion. The Condor, Jaguar and Zephyr still show up from time to time as people use light ones for things like MTA, but for the most part you don't see them in golf weights anymore. There are probably more that I can't think of right now.

I didn't think the recent Ace was OOP? Is that a recent change? I think you're right on everything else. I think the Zephyr is back in regular production (or will be soon) in golf weights, since it is the current favored disc for SuperClass tourneys.

Overall, an impressive list off the top of your head. I'm trying to think of any others and the only ones I'm coming up with are the Apple and the original Eagle...

Sad part is I think I have examples of at least half of the OOP discs at the house. Definitely have one or more of the Barracuda, Gopher, Gremlin, Griffin, Hammer, Pegasus, Piranha, Python and Raven. Still have the Pegasus and the Piranha in the bag.

I have a Bulldog just sitting around, too!!!

I forgot about the Puma! That was one of my first discs, I have no idea what happened to it... It was a sweet little mid-range, felt good in the hand if I remember correctly.

The Ace is indeed a current mold, although as of last Fri Innova had none on hand. The Gremlin was originally the Ching Sniper. I have one of those in my bag. It is a real good midrange control disc. As mentioned the Gremlin is available as a CFR disc.

In the garage I think I have : Gremlin(Proline) & a Ching Sniper, Jaguar, Scorpion, Raven, Moray, Hammer, Pegasus, Ace, Puma(10x Climo Stamp) and Bulldog. I have owned Lynx, Condors and a Ram also. Keep most of the stuff because it is unique but can't throw it at all (Jaguar, Scorpion, Moray).

The new Ace is kinda hard to track, since it's never actually been in the "line-up." I heard somewhere that the contract with Wal-Mart for those expired, but that could have been wrong.

The Gremlin is still in the CFR program, but since they are not in regular production I consider them discontinued.

Most of the things you hear complaining about are the molds more than the disc names. For example, people complain all the time about not being able to get the discontinued original Beast mold, but there is still a "Beast" in production.

If you count molds that have changed, then there are TONS more discs out of production, since so many have been tweaked at some point. That's a much harder list to come up with. And if you count molds with OOP plastics, that gets several times longer...

don't forget about the military line.

driver:Bomb, midrange stable:Sniper, midrange understable:Stinger, putter:Tank

innova molded the discs, and ching put their graphics on them. i'd love to get my hand on a new set of these. i lost my bomb, and my sniper is so beat to hell. thankfully i still have my stinger, hope i never loose that. and i just love the tank as well.

honestly i really feel that these 4 discs were about perfect. they weren't my first discs but they instantly became my favorite. i really feel that with these 4 discs you could do anything.

Don't know if this is the right thread, but did Innova release discs in groups? Snakes: Viper, Sidewinder, Cobra, etc. Dogs: Whippet, Bulldog. Any other examples? And if they did this, why don't they do it anymore?

How about the 2500 and the Raptor and the Mirage.
Neither the 2500 or the Raptor were ever in regular production. They never got past the "proto" stage. The Mirage was just another name for a 150 class Aviar, so I'd say technically it's still in production.

don't forget about the military line.

driver:Bomb, midrange stable:Sniper, midrange understable:Stinger, putter:Tank
If we count all the disc Innova molded and licensed to another company, we would have to include a buch of discs from DGA, Wham-O and Millennium as well as Ching. Discmania will fall under this as well when they are a bit older and some of their discs go OOP.

Latest posts