• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Out of the box, what flies like a slightly beat in Destroyer?

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
Basically the title of the thread. I'm looking for something that will turn a little bit more than a normal Destroyer out of the box. Any recommendations?

There are a few good options, depending on how overstable the Destroyer you are comparing it to is. The DDX is pretty darn close, but if you are trying to gain distance with the less stability, it probably won't net you much. It glides a bit less that a Destroyer but will turn a bit and the fade isn't as dramatic.

The DD Tresspass is on paper pretty close, but I have been able to throw them farther and with more turn backhand than a Destroyer. Slightly better glide IMO, but also will turn a good bit once you beat it in to a higher degree.

If you are okay with it being a bit slower the Sword is also great and super glidy out of the box. One of the best drivers for an intermediate player who is building arm speed in my opinion.

Man, there are several different stabilities in the Destroyer family. A beat one can go from nearly flippy to pretty stable. You are in my neighborhood....stop out to one of our league nights. You would have to join A3.
http://https://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/Ann_Arbor_Disc_Induced_Sports_Club

Some of the "disc junkies" playing would likely be glad to check out the Destroyer and let you throw some plastic in their bags. Or head to The Throw Shop at Lakeshore. I think the owner Ben will let you take out some discs for a test drive. Just buy them at CJ's. ;)

Maybe a low PLH Destroyer? Pro Destroyer? I've tried the I Blend Emperor, which, in hindsight, is just [like] a pro destroyer...

If you are okay with it being a bit slower the Sword is also great and super glidy out of the box. One of the best drivers for an intermediate player who is building arm speed in my opinion.
If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm trying to get the same distance I'm currently getting without having to work so hard. I'm throwing Hurricanes right now with are very similar to Destroyers (with the same flight inconsistencies), so it's easy to have one mold for that slot. What I'm finding is that the majority of them are too OS for what I'm looking for. I can still get them out to about 400', but I'm putting everything I have into them and I just don't want to work that hard. I can max close to 500' with understable plastic so distance isn't really the issue. I'm looking for something that's glidey, but most importantly slightly slightly less OS than a Destroyer/Hurricane/Outlaw so I can use 75% power and get more distance.

Man, there are several different stabilities in the Destroyer family. A beat one can go from nearly flippy to pretty stable. You are in my neighborhood....stop out to one of our league nights. You would have to join A3.
http://https://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/Ann_Arbor_Disc_Induced_Sports_Club

Some of the "disc junkies" playing would likely be glad to check out the Destroyer and let you throw some plastic in their bags. Or head to The Throw Shop at Lakeshore. I think the owner Ben will let you take out some discs for a test drive. Just buy them at CJ's. ;)
I'm actually good friends with one of the guys who leads A3! I should really get out to more leagues...I recently moved and now that everything has settled a little bit, I'll try and stop by! And believe me, CJs and the Throw Shop both have plenty of my money over the years.....;)

Maybe a low PLH Destroyer? Pro Destroyer? I've tried the I Blend Emperor, which, in hindsight, is just [like] a pro destroyer...
A DX Destroyer. Very underrated disc, they mold up pretty well.
I think that's my problem with Destroyers- I actually quite like the mold, but I don't want to have to do that much research and digging to find one that flies the way I'd like it too. I know above I mentioned how Hurricanes are similar to Destroyers in that the flights are dependent on the run/plastic and vary pretty widely. But I'm not loving those either for similar reasons. I will definitely check out the Emperor thought- I've heard really good things about it!

If you go emperor, you can't go wrong with the I Blend. The star runs (Splatter, at least) are quite a bit more OS, basically your OS destroyer. Infinite touts I Blend to be [almost as] durable as s, but, IME, it's just like pro.

Ballista Pro. Slightly less stable than destroyer, although tbh Destroyers can be all over the spectrum.

Also a Wraith. Having 1 less speed makes it a little less stable.

PLENTY of Destroyer-like discs that will turn a little bit.

IMO the best one I've tried lately is the Enigma. It feels and flies almost exactly like a Destroyer, but just a hair more turn. This disc isn't flippy, but it flexes out nicer than most Destroyers.

Sword and Trespass are good suggestions too, but they might be a hair too flippy.

Don't forget about the Raider either. Its a speed faster than a Destroyer, but flies very similar. Raiders will generally turn easier than Destroyers.

EDIT: Reading the OP's 2nd post makes me suggest Enigma even more. It sounds perfect for what you want. You can lean on it and get some big distance without feeling like you're dislocating your shoulder on every throw. The Enigma flies like a perfectly beat in Destroyer.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot about the Enigma. I have one and love it. I can vouch for the Enigma as well.

A DX Destroyer. Very underrated disc, they mold up pretty well.

Quoted for truth...
DX Destroyer is your best best for a new Destroyer that flies like a beat Star Destroyer.
In my experience, Pro Destroyers are NOT a good choice.
All my Pro Destroyers are the same...somewhat overstable.
Something about the Pro plastic causes it to shrink and create a "lip" on the inside of the wing which enhances the overstability of the disc.

Last edited:
Star Wraith might be your best bet. Mold up more consistent, doesn't require the power of the OS Destroyers which beat in slowly. Easy distance and really are not giving up much if any. Watch James Conrad bomb his. Or Pro Destroyer is an option, less stable of course on avg. Beat in quicker though so you may need to keep buying them often, but are cheaper too. I throw both of these and I throw 375, 400 max. I know Star Destroyers are usually too beefy for me. GStars can bomb like the poster above recommends.

Ballista Pro. Slightly less stable than destroyer, although tbh Destroyers can be all over the spectrum.

Also a Wraith. Having 1 less speed makes it a little less stable.

Star Wraith might be your best bet. Mold up more consistent, doesn't require the power of the OS Destroyers which beat in slowly. Easy distance and really are not giving up much if any. Watch James Conrad bomb his. Or Pro Destroyer is an option, less stable of course on avg. Beat in quicker though so you may need to keep buying them often, but are cheaper too. I throw both of these and I throw 375, 400 max. I know Star Destroyers are usually too beefy for me. GStars can bomb like the poster above recommends.

Star Wraith 167-172.

Star Wraith for sure.