• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oxbow indiana

Lady at the park office said there are 11 baskets in. Some areas are flooded. She also said, "be prepared, there aren't any obstacles". Which I assume means they took ALL of the trees out. Co worker is going to play it tonight and let me know what's up tomorrow.

Last I heard the emerald ash borer bug did a large amount of damage. It will be interesting to see what is left.

don't know much about it...does the ash borer bug affect other trees too?

Just ash trees to my knowledge. My dad lost a couple from the back yard... all other trees are fine.

I haven't played oxbow since I moved from indiana a couple years ago, but it was my local course for 2 years and the last I saw before moving they had a TON of trees marked to be cut down. If they finally did go through and cut all the trees that they had marked then there will be very very little trees left in the fairway, opening up pretty much every hole. Seriously though, like 70% of the trees out there were marked to be cut down.

Definitely interested in hearing the status of Oxbow!

Let us know!

Storms here last night, coworker didn't make it there, claims he will check it out tonight.

Cool beans.

Yeah, some ugliness rolled through the area last night. Tornado sirens and all that jazz.

Buddy's report: 13 baskets in. Many trees gone, but not all. He said: basket area of #2, "early" trees on #3, 4, and 5 are gone. Also, some on #7 and the entire "middle patch" of trees on #11 are gone. Also a few on #21. He said the course is really overgrown. I saw a couple pics on his phone...looks like Oxbow always has with stumps. Not sure why the course has been closed for two years. Doesn't appear to be a "redesign", according to his report.

Cool beans. Thank you for the update. Curious if your buddy had to pay to play??

From my understanding, the parks department closed the course a year or so ago because of emerald ash borer. That is why the trees have been removed (a few more might have been damaged by storms, too, from what I have gathered).

The course was never stellar from a maintenance standpoint, even years ago when it was in much better shape. Add to it the fact that much of the course floods (I'm talking ankle deep and deeper on up to 4-5 holes) at times, and other holes are in swampy, mosquito-ridden lowlands, and I'd guess the course has seen very very little in the way of recent traffic.

It's a shame. There were some decent holes out there...sounds fairly gutted, especially with just 13 baskets.

I'd get out there and get some further info myself, but that's well over an hour drive for me, and I wasn't too keen on making that drive for that course even when it was in "tip-top" shape.

Alas, Oxbow! :p :rolleyes: :\

He didn't have to pay. Said course isn't actually open. He also said there are flags at the other 11 basket spots.

no problem. BTW, I know you have played Meyer Broadway. Course is being mowed "wider" now, so disc searching has been reduced. Also, there are three new holes on the South (original), we lost three to a new dog park.

no problem. BTW, I know you have played Meyer Broadway. Course is being mowed "wider" now, so disc searching has been reduced. Also, there are three new holes on the South (original), we lost three to a new dog park.

I noticed the wider mowing last time Noill Golf and I hit it up....original had some major bushhoggin' going down. That's definitely an improvement; I was especially glad to see the short downhill shot with thorns directly behind cleaned up a bit.

What holes on the south course got removed. Are the new holes good replacements or is it a negative impact on the course?

2 and 4 and 5 (4 and 5 gone because of the dog park). Course now plays 1, 6 is now 2, 7 now 3, 3 now 4...then three new holes in woods left (west) of new 4, all in the woods. 5 is a downhill ace run, 6 is an "S" 355', 7 is slightly uphill hyzer shot 254'. 7 basket is near 8 tee. Personally, the old 2 wasn't much of a hole, and 4 was okay. The bummer is losing 5 (560' with the mando). Overall the course is now shorter than the North believe it or not. I think scoring may end up being about the same, maybe one throw easier.

Okay, that makes sense.

You're right re: #5 being the big loss. #2 was a pretty "meh" hole, and I like that #6 replaces it, because of the confusing routing there....I always finished one, stepped up to tee off on #2's pad, then realize I'm actually on #6. :doh:

I like that it plays more wooded! :)

I'll have to get out that way and check it!

(Unrelated...didn't there used to be some old decrepit barn/farmhouse next to one of wooded holes on the North course? Last time I played I was looking for that as a mental marker and could not, for the life of me, find it.)

yep, used to be right of #2. It was torn down a couple, three years ago. That property is now part of the park, but not the disc course. BTW, park is now $4 per car to enter.

^$4/ car is a big jump from $1 but well worth it for two courses!

Thanks for all the good info, Tim. Much appeciated!

Latest posts