• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

I don't get to play as often as I used to, but I used to have actual non-internet 500' of power. I was playing around with a stack of 4 Kongs and was really having a hard time liking them. When I really got on them, I found them to flip up and have a long slow turn that looked great in the air. When I didn't throw them hard, they just rode flat for a while and then dumped pretty quickly.

The thing is, even the ones I thought I threw hard and got pretty looking lines didn't go that far. I was able to throw a Nuke on fairly straight line farther than I was getting the Kongs to fly on long turnovers. My best throws with the Kong were getting me about 425', and my similarly thrown Nukes were getting 20' or 25' past that on straighter lines.

I know it takes work, but seasoning up some Forces is gonna get you a better disc in the end than I think these Kongs are. The Kongs are like a shortcut to a slightly seasoned Force, but without as much glide. Just my take.

This. I only threw my Kong 10 times, but a couple of those I felt like I murdered. The disc flew a decent looking line, but simply didn't fly as far as I felt it was capable. The McBeth Destroyer was sliding by it on a lower line with more penetrating flight. I also agree that the Kong dumps left quickly. Mine didn't stay flat for very long.

I am by no means giving up on this Kong. I'm going to throw the damn thing until I truly figure it out. Again, I don't hate it, but I also know I haven't fully tapped the disc's potential. Every disc has to be learned, and I will just have to take the time to learn the Kong. I still stand by what I say that the disc is clunky. Especially side by side with a flat Destroyer. The Destroyer was way sleeker and seemed faster. It would get the same distance on a lower line.

The Kong does work for control. I knew it wouldn't flip over, so I was able to throw it hard and flat and know where it would go. I guess to summarize my dissatisfaction with the disc, I thought it would be good for another 30' than I was seeing. It also didn't seem to glide remarkably well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same results as most of y'all. It seems far more FH friendly for gaining distance over BH for me. My cranks were for sure going farther overall. I want to hear back in a few months once someone has beaten one in, I bet that will be money.

But until then, I wonder what their plans are for the Kong in different plastics? I could see a big Z Kong being an absolute bomber being less stable than the newer ESP.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same results as most of y'all. It seems far more FH friendly for gaining distance over BH for me. My cranks were for sure going farther overall. I want to hear back in a few months once someone has beaten one in, I bet that will be money.

But until then, I wonder what their plans are for the Kong in different plastics? I could see a big Z Kong being an absolute bomber being less stable than the newer ESP.

Yeah, I can't even really compare the Kong to a Crank. For me Cranks go another 40' easily and have way more high speed turn and glide. Cranks are more like Shrykes.

I threw my Kong some more today and had the same feelings as yesterday. Thing is a freaking beef cake. The one nice, flexy shot I had with it was into a fairly stiff headwind. The Kong is short. It wasn't easily keeping up with an assortment of distance drivers I brought out today. A champion Katana was beating it by 50' STEADILY.

Kong reminds me of a Force, or a really stubborn Destroyer. Maybe even an XCal.

Last edited:
I have no others to compare it to, but I also only bought the one as a gag. Last fall I picked up an ESP Force, of the almost translucent run, think more along the lines of opaque Z, and it flew far less overstable than I intended. If anything, it was just another World for me. Currently, my big boy driver is the Tournament World, which flies at -0.5 turn 2.25 (depending on how I throw it) fade at about 380-410. Best ever throw on flat ground was 439. This ESP Force was coming up a few feet short, but it was a decently bright yellow, making it ideal for the winter months. So, when I broke it out, I was getting a little ribbing for being a Paul McBeth fanboy even though I purchased it before it was announced he switched over.

So, I bought a Kong because it has his name on it. That is why my expectations are not high for this disc. I am content with my Tournament Worlds and have a healthy stock of them. And if I suddenly sour on my Worlds, I still have my seasoned BioFuzion Enforcers which are almost as good. I have no need to buy more Kongs.

Then again, a small part of me was hoping that they would magically add another 5-15 feet to my throws. Here in Minnesota, most holes are 350 or less, but we have a few spots here and there at 400-450. Being within Circle 2, if not Circle 1, can be a huge boost. I would be putting while they are still contending with upshots. Not that I make many Circle 2 putts, but I make more than field aces. Plus, I rarely miss a (second) Circle 1 putt after missing the first one.

Still, with no other Kongs to gauge against, I believe mine is one of those in-between - not flat, but not domey either.

The flatter Kongs seem to fly further for me. I can get them to flat and maybe a little past that and then the fade is relatively mild (doesn't dump).

They were maybe a touch shorter than my furthest flying destroyer.

The domey Kongs didn't feel nearly as good in my hand and seems to be slightly more stable.

I also prefer the feel of my first Kong as opposed to the second batch I got from infinite last week.

I have no others to compare it to, but I also only bought the one as a gag. Last fall I picked up an ESP Force, of the almost translucent run, think more along the lines of opaque Z, and it flew far less overstable than I intended. If anything, it was just another World for me. Currently, my big boy driver is the Tournament World, which flies at -0.5 turn 2.25 (depending on how I throw it) fade at about 380-410. Best ever throw on flat ground was 439. This ESP Force was coming up a few feet short, but it was a decently bright yellow, making it ideal for the winter months. So, when I broke it out, I was getting a little ribbing for being a Paul McBeth fanboy even though I purchased it before it was announced he switched over.

So, I bought a Kong because it has his name on it. That is why my expectations are not high for this disc. I am content with my Tournament Worlds and have a healthy stock of them. And if I suddenly sour on my Worlds, I still have my seasoned BioFuzion Enforcers which are almost as good. I have no need to buy more Kongs.

Then again, a small part of me was hoping that they would magically add another 5-15 feet to my throws. Here in Minnesota, most holes are 350 or less, but we have a few spots here and there at 400-450. Being within Circle 2, if not Circle 1, can be a huge boost. I would be putting while they are still contending with upshots. Not that I make many Circle 2 putts, but I make more than field aces. Plus, I rarely miss a (second) Circle 1 putt after missing the first one.

Still, with no other Kongs to gauge against, I believe mine is one of those in-between - not flat, but not domey either.

The World isn't really one of my favorite drivers, but I can still blow them 30' past the Kong easily. My main problem with the World is you have no clue what you're getting. Some are really beefy, and some are downright flippy. Regardless, the World is 2 speeds faster than the Kong, and they fly like it. Worlds are pretty zippy and will get downrange easily.

Maybe I just got the luck of the draw and ended up with the most overstable Kong on the market.:\

I threw a Kong on a hole Ricky Wysocki was playing with our group last night. He was running an event here in okc. He told me my drive was a great shot... Until we walked up and he saw the name on the disc. I was promptly razzed, and then airballed my 20ft putt lol. Really though, Ricky was so much more personable and nice in person than I ever expected. Great guy. Maybe I'll pick up one of his signature destroyers to compare.

So yea I am finding that while Kongs flip up relatively easily and aren't too tough to turn, they don't seem to penetrate at the end of flight. Not as much distance as my d2s or destroyers. Hoping that some more wear changes this because I love the plastic and the look of the discs

Ricky was so much more personable and nice in person than I ever expected. Great guy. Maybe I'll pick up one of his signature destroyers to compare.

So much this! Hands down a swell guy in person. It's almost strange how different he comes off in person as on camera. I picked up one of his Destroyers at the event, and the stamp look much nicer in person, IMO.

I would be interested in a comparison between these two. The Wysocki Destroyer definitely has more glide then my 4x. It's comparable to my penned, flat-top, GStar Destroyers, which are perfect for me up to ~450'

So much this! Hands down a swell guy in person. It's almost strange how different he comes off in person as on camera. I picked up one of his Destroyers at the event, and the stamp look much nicer in person, IMO.

I would be interested in a comparison between these two. The Wysocki Destroyer definitely has more glide then my 4x. It's comparable to my penned, flat-top, GStar Destroyers, which are perfect for me up to ~450'

Stay tuned to Disc Golf Nerd on YouTube for this exact video!

I ordered a flattish (according to the woman at MSt) Kong today, and it should be here Saturday. I'm looking forward to how it compares against my various Destroyers, Shyrkes, and beat Xcal.

Give it some throws, and let us know what you think.

My flat-ish 171 is quite overstable, very similar to a glow PD2. Reliably about 50' short of my destroyers and more for my bosses. After probably 10 throws, I was getting it to max out about 450' with only a small amount of turn. Not sure it's going to kick my destroyers or bosses out of the bag...yet.

My flat-ish 171 is quite overstable, very similar to a glow PD2. Reliably about 50' short of my destroyers and more for my bosses. After probably 10 throws, I was getting it to max out about 450' with only a small amount of turn. Not sure it's going to kick my destroyers or bosses out of the bag...yet.

That's still some pretty big power. I may have gotten my Kong out to 400' once. Thing is stubborn, and it took all the arm I had.

Even on a forced anny the Kong wants to fade out fairly quickly.

That's still some pretty big power. I may have gotten my Kong out to 400' once. Thing is stubborn, and it took all the arm I had.

Even on a forced anny the Kong wants to fade out fairly quickly.

I agree. I had a really good form day that day, so I was really getting some good throws in. The kong only had minimal turn. I threw it into a 10mph headwind and only had about a 20' turn before hooking up. Pretty overstable fo sho.

I agree. I had a really good form day that day, so I was really getting some good throws in. The kong only had minimal turn. I threw it into a 10mph headwind and only had about a 20' turn before hooking up. Pretty overstable fo sho.

My Kong is, overall, SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable than I was expecting. It almost reminds me of a splatter Brinster star Destroyer, or a champion XCal that I bag for headwinds. The only way I'll see any turn with the Kong is to throw it hard into a headwind. Even then it won't turn much.

It strikes me as a decent Star Destroyer. Nice medium dome. Slightly overstable, although was developing some turn by the end of one weekend of hard use. Plastic is pretty slick, so a little glideless and dumpy, for now. I was thinking it would season in nicely, but the pretty plastic is prone to dings and chips. So it might chunk up before the slick wears off.

Used it for a nice one-disc round at Pine Nursery in Bend, OR. SUPER versatile. Literally kicked everything else out of my bag, except beers.

After another week of throwing these (rhbh throws), I'm not getting the overstability others are experiencing. The slightly domey one I have holds long flex lines coming out just at the end, and the flat one flips up and rides right before finishing almost center. It actually turned into a throwler when thown hyzer in a 15-20mph headwind. I didn't give it enough airspace, but regardless it wouldn't have fought out. My z Force flexed out of the same wind thrown with a slight anhyzer. I find the Force and Kong do not overlap at all, flying different lines.