• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

couldn't agree more, after throwing Kongs for a few weeks now and many rounds they really inspire confidence in long drives, its max distance but controllable.

For reference, i picked slightly more domey ones at the shop, but honestly wouldn't call them "domey", they don't have that pop top "heartbeat".

anyways, they aren't as effected by wind as other molds i've tried either, and frankly it amazes me and its what sold me on them immediately. They also arent very release angle sensitive, they kind of "drift" a little but its never a flip motion that you have to be careful with, they lock into the line you put them on.

The Envy was a game changer for me and i feel the same way about the Kong, locked in the bag.

Perfect. I was wondering if my thoughts on the kong were common. I noticed that as well when i tested one. It more "drifted" to the right , rather than flipped.
Thats kind of interesting. Seems like a recipe for consistency. Maybe not max distance, but who cares if you can put the disc where you want it.

Interesting thoughts. I personally get MUCH different results from my Kong vs. Trespasses. Though they are the same speed, I find these discs to have DRASTICALLY different flights. The Trespass has noticeable high speed turn. I can rip a Trespass flat and know its going to track right a bit before gently fading out.

The Kong on a flat rip will almost immediately begin to hyzer out. No high speed turn to speak of. I can get respectable (yet hardly remakable) distance from the Kong despite the lack of high speed turn. That said, its a solid 50' short of the Trespass in terms of overall distance. I can torque the Kong anny about 400' max, whereas I can rip a Trespass flat and get 420' on a booming S curve line.

If I bagged a Kong, it would be for headwind drives in the 360' range. Thrown flat it is fairly clunky and short. I think I might have the most overstable Kong in existence.

If I bagged a Kong, it would be for headwind drives in the 360' range. Thrown flat it is fairly clunky and short. I think I might have the most overstable Kong in existence.

I actually think you got what the Kong was meant to be. The ones that are turning out the box are the anomaly imo. Discrafts flight rating is only one tik difference from the Force.
I dont understand this "clunky" you keep using. Have you thrown a Force?
If you have max 450ish power, a esp force is still wickedly OS but i dont consider it clunky, its the most consistent driver i have thrown and im finding it impossible to kick out the bag.

I think your approaching the kong as a max distance driver instead of what it was meant to be.

i have tried/bagged tresspasses in the past, they break in fast and have more turn than a Kong and in general just not as overstable, i would probably flip my tresspass over on a flat RHBH throw and it wouldn't fade back to the left, just like my octanes which werent predictable enough. The Kong is the perfect stability for my 475' of power, always fades reliably back to the left, unless i force it on an anny from the start, then it locks into that and lands flat, literally does everything correctly and covers all my max distance needs, also easy to forehand.

I wonder how many Discraft has sold so far? How much does McBeth get in royalties from each disc that is sold?

I actually think you got what the Kong was meant to be. The ones that are turning out the box are the anomaly imo. Discrafts flight rating is only one tik difference from the Force.
I dont understand this "clunky" you keep using. Have you thrown a Force?
If you have max 450ish power, a esp force is still wickedly OS but i dont consider it clunky, its the most consistent driver i have thrown and im finding it impossible to kick out the bag.

I think your approaching the kong as a max distance driver instead of what it was meant to be.

Maybe I am expecting something out of the Kong that it isn't. I use the term clunky because I don't feel like the Kong is overly fast or penetrates very well. When I say that I'm comparing the Kong to Destroyers. IDK, Destroyers seem faster and sleeker to me. The Kong is a deep rimmed, tall disc. On low lines it doesn't go nearly as far for me as McBeth Destroyers (which are also fairly overstable).

I have thrown a few Forces, ESP and Z. I DEFINITELY am not getting those out to 450'. Probably closer to 400' max. For me the Force is a little clunky too. It has a very deep rim and a big dome. I'd still consider it a speed 12 driver, but the Force is another one that doesn't penetrate as well as a Destroyer.

I will agree with you that the Kong and Force are consistent. Any overstable disc is. You throw them and know what they'll do in pretty much any situation.

My main beef with the Kong is that its so.... short. Even compared to other discs of similar stability and speed the Kong is noticeably sluggish and ends up well short of them.

I find the Kong and Force to be exceptionally similar in flight. They feel different in your hand, but they both have a straight flight followed by a long, dramatic fade. Who knows, maybe I was wrong to compare the Kong to a Destroyer. The more I throw the Kong the more I think it isn't like a Destroyer at all.

For me the Kong is well short of "max distance" range. I'd call it a long driver, but not a max distance driver. I am also aware that I don't quite have the arm to slam it and get any real high speed turn out of it.

Last edited:
i have tried/bagged tresspasses in the past, they break in fast and have more turn than a Kong and in general just not as overstable, i would probably flip my tresspass over on a flat RHBH throw and it wouldn't fade back to the left, just like my octanes which werent predictable enough. The Kong is the perfect stability for my 475' of power, always fades reliably back to the left, unless i force it on an anny from the start, then it locks into that and lands flat, literally does everything correctly and covers all my max distance needs, also easy to forehand.

I don't throw as far as you, and I still find Trespasses a little finicky for on course use. I've bagged them at times, but I always end up taking them out. A Trespass for me works well for full on rips in open areas where there's no OB or hazards. I have trouble throwing them accurately.

Honestly, for max distance on the course where accuracy is needed I'll probably use a Boss or Nuke. Both of those will bomb, yet have enough stability to not go flipping all over the place.

Unfortunately a comparison to a Destroyer is such a hard thing to really nail down. Every star destroyer I have owned in a OS brick of a disc that flew more like your description of the Kong. I have only owned 2 Destroyers, though. So it appears that I would be comparing a relatively flippy Kong to a relatively overstable destroyer... And perhaps your experiences are the opposite?

Such are our speed 12 lives.

But unless someone can come in and correct me, I have yet to see a Kong with drastically different wing or PLH formations like a destroyer. Kongs more or less seem to derive their stability from the amount of dome that they have than anything else... Which may make it easier to track down ones you like?

Last edited:
Okay, after throwing it after the release, I can say that I really like Kong. Not for the slot I imagined it to fit though. I was planning to use it as my main distance driver, but it ended up complimenting my Wraiths. I have a flat Kong that I can throw with power with slight hyzer release. It flips up flat and just goes straight. It doesn't have a lot of glide, so it just kinda drops to the ground. The one with medium dome is more stable, it doesn't turn but it has a smooth forward fade. I can throw it into headwind and it will get some distance. That slot was missing in my bag. Xcalibers were too overstable to gain actual distance and Wraiths would turn and burn in a headwind.

Might need to change the name of this thread soon... I've heard rumors the name Kong may be changed due to a certain dog toy company

Well the 'proto' run has never had the disc name on the stamp. I don't have one on me right now to check, but is it embossed on the rim? If not, then I don't see how the value could change. Well that and the fact that they have made a bajillion of them.

Well the 'proto' run has never had the disc name on the stamp. I don't have one on me right now to check, but is it embossed on the rim? If not, then I don't see how the value could change. Well that and the fact that they have made a bajillion of them.

Yea there are more proto kongs then 'first run' buzzzes

Paul said on "Johnny Discgolf" that the KONG was still in the prototype state and that they put out different flat to domy ones to see what people would like.
Paul said that they leans towards the flat ones and a new proto will be out in a few weeks

Paul said on "Johnny Discgolf" that the KONG was still in the prototype state and that they put out different flat to domy ones to see what people would like.
Paul said that they leans towards the flat ones and a new proto will be out in a few weeks

All I know is if my proto Kong was an Innova disc I'd say it was an XCaliber.;)

I just tried my flat one for the first time yesterday, and it was relatively straight. My Barsby Scorpius was beefier, and it has some wear on it. That said, I really liked the flat Kong, it was pretty workable for a new distance driver.

Latest posts