• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

Why not just call them "Paul Mcbeth putter, fairway, driver". . it already says "PM putt & approach" on the disc, why not just call it that

With 3 discs, and 1 being his grandma's name, not sure we're really seeing any pattern yet, but it might be coming together more than 3 names from very different thought spaces as before.

While the luna was named after his grandma, it actually fits perfectly in the lineup and Luna was the moon goddess

While the luna was named after his grandma, it actually fits perfectly in the lineup and Luna was the moon goddess

That's the Roman name, Selene was the Greek counterpart.

Continuity between the two is still lacking in Paul's line, but fits in with Sol (Luna's sister) and general Discraft naming schemes. It makes my eyes cross a bit when mixing Greek and Roman mythology.

Huh. Sol is sun, and Luna is moon in Spanish, but I never knew they were Roman gods. You learn something new every day.

Huh. Sol is sun, and Luna is moon in Spanish, but I never knew they were Roman gods. You learn something new every day.

Yep, those words (and many others) in the Romance languages came from the original Latin, and they creep into English, as well. The 'lunar surface' of the moon; fishermen check the 'solunar' tables, etc.

As to the naming of McBeth's discs, I'm channeling some inner Shakespeare on it: "What's in a name?"...

So does this mean everyone will snap up the leftover Kong's and shelve them.. Then buy a Zeus to throw? Talk about extra mileage on a new mold..!

It makes my eyes cross a bit when mixing Greek and Roman mythology.
Yeah, the overlap between the two made studying it a garbled mess. If you were using the naming convention as a way of educating (think Westside) then it's totally ineffective. I think they are just throwing this together by the seat of their pants to come up with cool names that will sell, though.

Also looking at old circle stamped Innova discs as a zoology study is probably pretty ineffective anyway. :| So it really doesn't matter.

Recently had the chance to hold a Roach and compare it to my McBeth Prototype. The McBeth disc felt shallower and the rim was more rounded. I haven't had the chance to hold any of the Lunas, so I have no direct comparisons to make of it.

What plastic was the Roach you held? It must be perception based on either the rigidity of the plastic or the feel, because JT of SF who is friends and often caddies for McBeth said it was a Roach bottom and Chally top. But the Challenger's top looks exactly like the Roach top to me.

At any rate, They're the only two putters with that convex wing/no bead. Warden would be the next closest, but still has a flat spot before rounding.

What plastic was the Roach you held? It must be perception based on either the rigidity of the plastic or the feel, because JT of SF who is friends and often caddies for McBeth said it was a Roach bottom and Chally top. But the Challenger's top looks exactly like the Roach top to me.

At any rate, They're the only two putters with that convex wing/no bead. Warden would be the next closest, but still has a flat spot before rounding.

It was a Jawbreaker Roach. I agree with you about the Challenger top. Also, I'd say the McBeth Prototype bottom and Roach bottom were not the same at all. Again, I haven't held a Luna of any run, so I can't speak for its similarities to anything else...

Yeah, the overlap between the two made studying it a garbled mess. If you were using the naming convention as a way of educating (think Westside) then it's totally ineffective. I think they are just throwing this together by the seat of their pants to come up with cool names that will sell, though.

Also looking at old circle stamped Innova discs as a zoology study is probably pretty ineffective anyway. :| So it really doesn't matter.

I agree with this. The amount of people who can accurately say the difference and similarities between Greek and Roman mythology isn't a large number I'd wager.

So does this mean everyone will snap up the leftover Kong's and shelve them.. Then buy a Zeus to throw? Talk about extra mileage on a new mold..!

No. The name "Kong" doesn't appear anywhere on the existing proto runs. It will simply be known going forward as "Zeus"

wings are very different on the magic and voodoo. The voodoo is more like a very small beaded wizard. Ballistic style nose profile, as opposed to a flat/blocky wing
Yeah, the Voodoo is essentially a microbead Wizard. The Magic looks like a Wizard and an 86 Softie had a baby. The wings are very different.

wings are very different on the magic and voodoo. The voodoo is more like a very small beaded wizard. Ballistic style nose profile, as opposed to a flat/blocky wing

Yeah, the Voodoo is essentially a microbead Wizard. The Magic looks like a Wizard and an 86 Softie had a baby. The wings are very different.

Admittedly, I only own 1 Voodoo (pre ban medium) and 1 Organic Magic, but my Voodoo is much closer to the Magic than any Wizard I have owned, bought or thrown.

The Voodoo is much rounder and more blunt...maybe I have an oddball, but I remember back in '14, when I bought the Magic, many here ware saying it was a beadless Voodoo.

</Shrug>

Latest posts