• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

^ ^ ^ This. The PDGA rule about 500 being available to the public before they can be used in tournaments may have been designed just to prevent the kind of cheating you suggest.

There are a lot of people upset with this 'incident' concerning the Kong, and we may see much stronger enforcement of the rules, as well as disallowing 'tweaking' without re-approvals.

Are people actually upset? Which people? Why?

The 500 disc rule only applies to the World Championships, for whatever reason. No rules are being broken.

Also, tweaking is done with the existing tooling. The rumor is the people testing the Kong would like to try it with some more dome. Totally doable with the existing mold.

The PDGA approval process is bogus. It keeps us from having customized-to-fit discs like real golfers have with their clubs. Tech standards can still apply

It needs to be removed. At this point, I suspect it simply acts as a fundraiser.

Another reason I will not join the PDGA

:clap::clap:
Please let's not poke fun at the PDGA just because they think they're god over the Disc world or their collusion with disc manufacturers so we can't tweet our equipment like every other sport.

After all, it only makes the manufacturers millions of dollars.:\

I don't get the whole "custom fit" angle for disc golf. I mean, we throw pieces of plastic. Aerodynamics don't change. Heaven knows that manufacturers have produced just about every conceivable shape of flying disc at this point that makes any sense. What exactly would you be customizing if you could do so? Not to mention the fact that it would be prohibitively expensive to most players to pay to customize something that is easily lost and wears in fairly quickly. Golf clubs are just not a good analogy to discs in this case.

And yes the 500 discs sold rule doesn't apply to all PDGA tournaments. As long as the Kong mold is PDGA approved, it can be used in most tournaments regardless of whether a single one has been sold.

The PDGA approval process is bogus. It keeps us from having customized-to-fit discs like real golfers have with their clubs. Tech standards can still apply

It needs to be removed. At this point, I suspect it simply acts as a fundraiser.

Another reason I will not join the PDGA

How would one "customize-to-fit" a disc?

I am going to use myself as an exanple, so others will have different examples.

I am 5'11" with a very low ape index. When fitting golf clubs, one looks at how how high the wrist bones sits above the ground. I use clubs designed for a 6'2" to 6'4" person. My middle finger is a quarter inch longer than my ring finger...which is is a quarter inch longer than my pointer finger, so my grips have to be smaller.

For my golf clubs, this means I use over-lengthed shafts with undersized grips. One finger does not give one enough grip to hang on to a normal sized grips.

I have the power to throw speed 13 discs but I can't grip the bloody things. Speed 11 discs are my max rim size, and even those give me issue.

All I need to do is take a dremal tool and grind out a notch, and I can throw a Destroyer or a Crank just fine. As it is, I am limited Wave for max distance and a Volt for distance and control.

This is stupid as bloody h&ll. Why can I not customize my grip to fit my hand? Bloody stupid rules to raise money to have a disc mold verified is why. (I am an An-Cap, so I have no issue with companies/groups making money...I want to spend money on custom equipment)

Sure, there are 3 to 5 pros that can have discs custom fitted to them(read have a custom molds made for them) but the rest of is are out of luck.

Yeah, the PDGA can go burn.

Last edited:
I am going to use myself as an exanple, so others will have different examples.

I am 5'11" with a very low ape index. When fitting golf clubs, one looks at how how high the wrist bones sits above the ground. I use clubs designed for a 6'2" to 6'4" person. My middle finger is a quarter inch longer than my ring finger...which is is a quarter inch longer than my pointer finger, so my grips have to be smaller.

For my golf clubs, this means I use over-lengthed shafts with undersized grips. One finger does not give one enough grip to hang on to a normal sized grips.

I have the power to throw speed 13 discs but I can't grip the bloody things. Speed 11 discs are my max rim size, and even those give me issue.

All I need to do is take a dremal tool and grind out a notch, and I can throw a Destroyer or a Crank just fine. As it is, I am limited Wave for max distance and a Volt for distance and control.

This is stupid as bloody h&ll. Why can I not customize my grip to fit my hand? Bloody stupid rules to raise money to have a disc mold verified is why. (I am an An-Cap, so I have no issue with companies/groups making money...I want to spend money on custom equipment)

Sure, there are 3 to 5 pros that can have discs custom fitted to them(read have a custom molds made for them) but the rest of is are out of luck.

Yeah, the PDGA can go burn.
By doing this don't you completely screw up the aerodynamics and natural flight of the disc?

People have weird gripes about non issues.

It's not a non issue. My hands will not fit on a speed 12 disc or longer. Honestly, a speed 9 is max comfort size.

Disc golf is so backwards compared to actual golf.

If one wants an ultimate style game, create one disc and make every one play with said one disc. Otherwise, get out of the way.

Last edited:
It's not a non issue. My hands will not fit on a speed 12 disc or longer. Honestly, a speed 9 is max comfort size.

If one wants an ultimate style game, create one disc and make every one play with said one disc. Otherwise, get out of the way.

I say not really one disc but a more make the PDGA force the super class discs with strict rules on not having overmolds or other odd things like double inner rims.

By doing this don't you completely screw up the aerodynamics and natural flight of the disc?

Somewhat, yes, but it worked for the Epic. Someone whom has hands big enough to fit a Destroyer still has the advantage over me having a hacked Destroyer with a partial rim. I still have the disadvantage, just not to the point that we have now.

I say not really one disc but a more make the PDGA force the super class discs with strict rules on not having overmolds or other odd things like double inner rims.

What? Condors and Sky Stylers are super class discs, not Forces.

Last edited:

Sounds like a you problem. Not everyone can realistically use a Magnum condom either. Know your limits, right?

Latest posts