• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] P Model S and U/S

VictorB

* Ace Member *
I picked up a stack of the P Model S a week or two ago (in a search for a nice low profile, flat topped putter) and found the P Model S. This seems like a pretty underrated putter mold, and fits the style I am most comfortable with (short arm technique) I find it to fly quite similar to a challenger but without the 'old school' sloped shoulder or tall rim height. Small bead is essentially not noticeable by my hands. Great glide and stability while not being flippy. The base plastic is somewhere between KC pro and DX (not sure what prodigy equivalent would be, maybe between 300 and 350?) and it a bit slick at first. Seems like it's a fairly preferred mold among their pros as well.

The P Model U/S is a really nice and smooth throwing putter, imo. Profile is pretty similar to the P Model S, but a touch deeper. Not something I'd use for putting but I find it to be a really nice touch approach/driving disc.

Not a lot of talk on these forums about these discs. Anyone else out there using/used these?

I currently throw both and putt the P Model S. A couple weeks outside in the putting basket gets rid of the slickness. The Base Line Glow plastic is also a bit tackier. I have had a P Model S in my bag as my stable throwing putter since they came out and that one is finally losing stability. The US feels very similar but has more glide- it resembles the putters I used for many many years more than anything else Prodigy has thus far. I suspect that I will wind up putting it in the long term.

I bought a stack of baseline P Model S for practice putting because because I'm almost always willing to try something new from Prodigy. In the hand, it reminded me immediately of the Kastaplast Reko in K3 - it's very flat, shallow and the bead is hardly noticeable.

The P Model S is now in the bag, for when I need a dependable little hook up at the end of a flat or anny approach throw. I agree that the initial slickness wears off with some use (and I think it's more of a tactile feeling than the plastic being actually slick: they never really slipped around when being gripped...).

I ordered the P Model US this week to give it a try as a thrower, and I ordered one in the "Duraflex" plastic in addition to baseline.

I've seen a fair number of comments online that criticize the ACE line as being cheap (and made in China). OK, whatever...My experience with it is pretty good. It may eventually knock the Reko out of the bag as the primary putter.

I've seen a fair number of comments online that criticize the ACE line as being cheap (and made in China). OK, whatever...My experience with it is pretty good. It may eventually knock the Reko out of the bag as the primary putter.

The one I have been bagging has been much more durable than I expected.

I bought a stack of test run S's when they came out, putted with those until I finally got my hands on a stack of glow P Model US's about 2 months ago.
The P Model S is a super long flying putter for me, especially with spin putts. It glides and goes straight, then has a quite noticeable fade once the speed and spin slow down enough. Great for jump putts if you have danger behind the basket. They didn't really change their flight characteristics much during use, even though I had weekly putting sessions (about 100 throws/session for each disc). The slickness wore off quickly. I got a few regular Basegrips, glow Basegrips and Duraflexes as well. Glow ones are a bit more overstable, they resist wind better and the fade kicks in sooner. Duraflex ones are pretty similar to the glows as well, maybe a bit more overstable, much not much. The plastic has more flex though, and is grippier.

The P Model US (glow Basegrip at least, I've only thrown those) has a very similiar flight to the S, except it doesn't have that fade, it just keeps going straight, until it has a very slight fade much later in flight. Not that great when putting into strong headwinds, but it can handle a decent amount of wind. I haven't been able to throw approaches or drives with these much yet, but I expect them to be flippier and have some turn.

The more I putt with these things, the more I like them.

My more natural short arm putt works well with these. High glide but very straight overall, even in a bit of wind. Every time I think I've missed low and hit the cage, it holds in the air just that additional split second and doesn't drop - and finds its way over the rim. I can throw long, glidey spin putts from outside of c2, and not worry about much fade off - just point and shoot.

I don't particularly like them for throwing - but the P Model US and Breaker can cover all of my needs with driving putters/approaches. I haven't put a ton of time in with the Model S throwing it though, since I depend on the breaker and FH approaches so much.

You guys tried the P Model S, US, and US+ in ProFlex? If not, do it nowww. BaseGrip and DuraFlex are for the peasants! Actually DuraFlex is cool but there's no real need for it if you have ProFlex. I bag the US+ in the Pure spot and it's a gem. I'm on the fence about booting my Eclipse Envy from the tourney bag for my 178g ProFlex P Model S in the name of consistency. Can't decide.

You guys tried the P Model S, US, and US+ in ProFlex? If not, do it nowww. BaseGrip and DuraFlex are for the peasants! Actually DuraFlex is cool but there's no real need for it if you have ProFlex. I bag the US+ in the Pure spot and it's a gem. I'm on the fence about booting my Eclipse Envy from the tourney bag for my 178g ProFlex P Model S in the name of consistency. Can't decide.

Still using P Model S as my main putter.

I don't know much about Prodigy plastics - I have only handled the Duraflex and an A4 in 400G. I haven't seen a ton about Proflex other than Prodigy's main page. One reddit person described it as "better 400 plastic." In Innova or Discraft terms is it like Champion or Z-line, but a little more flex & grip? I'd go ahead and just buy it but I'm currently trying to limit my new purchases :p

Still using P Model S as my main putter.

I don't know much about Prodigy plastics - I have only handled the Duraflex and an A4 in 400G. I haven't seen a ton about Proflex other than Prodigy's main page. One reddit person described it as "better 400 plastic." In Innova or Discraft terms is it like Champion or Z-line, but a little more flex & grip? I'd go ahead and just buy it but I'm currently trying to limit my new purchases :p

yes.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

It's hard to compare proflex to champ and all that because there's a thousand different types of champ. All I know is proflex is firm yet flexy and vibrant as hell. It's like a slightly more flexy 750 maybe? Whatever it is, it's good, very good. Super underappreciated.

Latest posts