• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Who among the top players would be favored higher in 8.5 rounds versus 5? In other words, would you rank players' odds of winning in 5 rounds different from your ranking for 8.5 rounds?
Anecdotally? I would. Could I accept being proven wrong on this statistically? Sure. But 8.5 rounds of golf seems to be more stable than 5.

That doesn't even take into account that we seem pretty standardized, at that level, at 18 holes per round now. I'm kinda irked I can't seem to see the layouts used for old worlds.. but, for example, were there not 24 hole layouts for 2008 Worlds in Michigan? So we're not only talking about a world where we're playing fewer rounds, but we're also now locked in to no longer using 24 hole layouts.

(if additional holes weren't used for Pro Worlds in earlier years, excuse my mistake, but based on courses used - I assume there were)

The Bay Area 2011 Pro Worlds used four 27-hole layouts. The 2000 Pro-Am Worlds in Michigan used three 24s and three 18s. I can't remember if Coldbrook and/or Timber Ridge were played as 24s in the 2008 KZoo-BC Worlds.

The Bay Area 2011 Pro Worlds used four 27-hole layouts. The 2000 Pro-Am Worlds in Michigan used three 24s and three 18s. I can't remember if Coldbrook and/or Timber Ridge were played as 24s in the 2008 KZoo-BC Worlds.
I think a better way of responding to your initial post is...
Would I rank the competitors differently? No.
But would I expect the results to go according to the rankings in a longer event? Much more so than in the shorter event.

Who among the top players would be favored higher in 8.5 rounds versus 5? In other words, would you rank players' odds of winning in 5 rounds different from your ranking for 8.5 rounds?

The same players will be favored but imo the odds of someone other than the favorites winning decreases with every added round.

I don't think Greg wins 2018 worlds if it was 8.5 rounds versus the 5 they played. Eventually Paul would have caught him during round 6 or 7, the same way the Champ would do to his competition during his 12 open wins. That's just an opinion, but if I'm betting a hundred bucks that's what I'm going with. Could be wrong, but my hunch tells me otherwise.

Back to topic, Steady Ed has always said, he who has the most fun wins. I'm not Paige, but if I was in her shoes, I'd be having fun, enjoying myself, taking it easy, soaking in the moments and letting it rip come game time. Let everything else fall where it may. Win lose oh well. You don't get time back and you get old quick. If she isn't careful she's going to look back on these years and think she took everything far too seriously and didn't have enough fun and enjoyment along the way.

That advice doesn't just go for her, it goes for all of you too.

Last edited:
Back to topic, Steady Ed has always said, he who has the most fun wins. I'm not Paige, but if I was in her shoes, I'd be having fun, enjoying myself, taking it easy, soaking in the moments and letting it rip come game time. Let everything else fall where it may. Win lose oh well. You don't get time back and you get old quick. If she isn't careful she's going to look back on these years and think she took everything/winning far too seriously and didn't have enough fun and enjoyment along the way.

That advice doesn't just go for her, it goes for all of you too.
Everyone has their own path. Plenty of people who would look back on the same years as wasted if they took your attitude on. We aren't all driven by the same things, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Everyone has their own path. Plenty of people who would look back on the same years as wasted if they took your attitude on. We aren't all driven by the same things, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Time spent enjoyed is time not wasted. There is a documentary floating around I'll try and dig it up later where they talked to a whole bunch of people on their death beds about their life regrets. The one common theme and most talked about response, and something I'll certainly never forget, is that they all said, without fail, that they spent far too much time working, careerism, and taking things far too seriously and not enough time for themselves, family and friends, having fun and enjoying the moments as they came.

You're right though, everyone isn't driven by the same things.

Time spent enjoyed is time not wasted. There is a documentary floating around I'll try and dig it up later where they talked to a whole bunch of people on their death beds about their life regrets. The one common theme and most talked about response, and something I'll certainly never forget, is that they all said, without fail, that they spent far too much time working, careerism, and taking things far too seriously and not enough time for themselves, family and friends, having fun and enjoying the moments as they came.

That doesn't mean that those people had the same idea of joy or fun as you do - is more to what I mean. For example, for me, I find a LOT of joy in competition. Pursuit of greatness in a true personal passion isn't near the same as pursuing a paycheck in a mid-level bureaucratic position. I don't disagree with the general concept - experience what you can, because you won't get the time back. But I disagree with the notion that Paige necessarily needs to be "careful" in the way you described. Obviously personal to her - but the message seemed to impress your particular idea of joy onto another. I would have agreed far more with your post without the "warning."

I've seen a lot of people reference that documentary. Or something similar. There is probably a really good chance that it was curated to make that point. Or maybe it wasn't, but there is some confirmation bias from the viewers.

I've encountered a LOT of people middle aged and beyond that regretted that they didn't push harder when they were young(er).

Spousal Unit worked on a cancer ward and talked to lots of old folks as they were dying. She found that people regretted the things they had NOT done, rather than the things they had done.

But maybe the folks who say "Hold my beer" too often don't make it to old age? :rolleyes:

Spousal Unit worked on a cancer ward and talked to lots of old folks as they were dying. She found that people regretted the things they had NOT done, rather than the things they had done.

But maybe the folks who say "Hold my beer" too often don't make it to old age? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that narrative changes immensely in the ER vs the cancer ward.

But I have similar experiences. I worked in a nursing home back in highschool. Lots of old fellas passing on wisdom...or "wisdom".... But the sentiment there seemed the same. No one regrets what they did, it's what they didn't (other than one old guy missing an arm and a leg....and a few regrettable tattoo choices.) One conversation with an old gentleman convinced me to talk to a beautiful CNA that worked there. Way out of my league. Fast forward nearly 13 years, that is the girl I now call my wife and the mother to my children.

Last edited:
I've encountered a LOT of people middle aged and beyond that regretted that they didn't push harder when they were young(er).

Well so here's a middle aged person who states otherwise. I spent far too much time in my 20s and 30s working too hard, chasing careerism, taking things too seriously, and pushed way too much. If I could redo those years I would for sure have followed my original post above advice. Hence, why I wrote what I did, because I'm now practicing what I preach.

Well so here's a middle aged person who states otherwise. I spent far too much time in my 20s and 30s working too hard, chasing careerism, taking things too seriously, and pushed way too much. If I could redo those years I would for sure have followed my original post above advice. Hence, why I wrote what I did, because I'm now practicing what I preach.

I don't disagree.

My point is that both sides are out there. I met a lot of people in public nursing homes that were a financial burden on their kids and deeply regretted that. One side just isn't useful for inspirational pieces.

I guess no one told Climo.
I think 21 was definitely the wrong age to use as an example. But I also think there's a nugget of truth to the idea that an 8.5 round Worlds is a younger competitor's length of event, and I dare say that would probably correlate with touring all-year-long and having the best overall season given lil aches and pains. After all - Climo stopped climbing this particular mountain every year once he hit 30 years old (admittedly he still won 3 more Worlds, and won 2 more in the next 4 years - but he was also just SO far ahead of the field of that era).