• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

The physical difficulty of how I play disc golf is not high, and it still wears me out when I have a big weekend of like 5-6 rounds. But I'm out of shape and old and my courses aren't really that difficult to navigate. I'm also not a 'real' pro and sit at a desk far too much for my job.

I'd imagine that even the best conditioned pros will have issues over 8 rounds on most world champ level courses, both physically and mentally.

There are very few pro golfers that look like an athlete, and certainly not one in top condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
"I think y'all vastly overestimate the physical difficulty of playing disc golf... while it takes a toll on certain body parts over time it isn't like running a triathlon."

There is a huuuge difference between playing at at a pro level and playing the game at our level. Average league golfers don't put the kind of torque on the body and expend the kind of energy it takes day in and day out to play this game at such a high level. It is like comparing a weekend warrior flag football player, and an NFL player imo.
I thought this discussion was about pros or pro worlds and the wear and tear over a number of rounds/day/s. :\

However...
https://reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/weekend-warrior-injuries
"Consequently, weekend warriors may not be in the best physical shape, and suddenly engaging in intermittent strenuous activity can therefore increase their risk of injury—with certain types of trauma more common to these individuals."

I thought this discussion was about pros or pro worlds and the wear and tear over a number of rounds/day/s. :\

However...
"Consequently, weekend warriors may not be in the best physical shape, and suddenly engaging in intermittent strenuous activity can therefore increase their risk of injury—with certain types of trauma more common to these individuals."

I do believe the discussion originated with that 19 years have any advantage over the field in an old format.

I would counter that age does not matter, any player finishing in the top 10 is in top condition and age does not factor in until 40 to 45+ plus range.

huh? How are you defining top condition?

Very few of the top pros or any of the touring players would make someone think "there goes a professional athlete" when seen out in public.

Ezra is jacked. KJ looks athletic (and is) but nothing special. Just about everyone from McBeth on down has a little bit of a roll at the belt line and some a lot more.

The Jomez boys are sporting dad bods (Nate and Jerm). Uli has a bit of a roll.

Stokely said something about tennis players. Go to YouTube and search tennis serve. Those guys are all uber fit and I'd say every serve is just as intense and strenuous as any DG drive. And they have many more serves in a set than a dg player has full tilt rips.

Heck, go look at the young guns in the PGA.

If you saw Bartolo Colon walking down the street, would you say "there goes a pro athlete"?
bartolocolon.jpeg

Yet the guy pitched in MLB well into his 40's.

If you saw Bartolo Colon walking down the street, would you say "there goes a pro athlete"?

I wonder how long he could have pitched had he maintained his physical fitness... Its like he won that Cy Young at the age of 32 and decided "That's it, I've done it, time to coast."

Seen overweight and slightly out-of-shape PGA players do well on tour.
Serena Williams was not in top shape at times and was still the top player in the world.
Haven't seen ANY out-of-shape soccer players though.
If you look at male disc golfers consistently in the top 10, most if not all are in better shape than 90% of weekend warriors hucking plastic at chains.
Sure John-E can hang with the big boys but rarely is he in the top 10.
Top female disc golfers are a different story. Technique and consistency seems to overcome any physical limitations.

However...

l was just responding to biscoe's comment to your post. This thread has been about a few different things, lol. Surely this isn't the first time there has been some thread drift on this board :)

Actually real estate is the long term safe and smart investment play to hedge against inflation. An empty house IS better than letting money sit in a bank account being chipped away with inflation as the time passes by.

You can argue about the stock market all day but with real estate you actually have a tangible good that you can use today. Probably best to have both, but I would go real estate first and foremost before the market.

An empty house that isn't regularly maintained quickly turns to sh!t.

When my wife and I were buying our first house, our budget was really tight and we toured a ton of foreclosed houses. Even though most were winterized, there was significant issues with all of them due to being left vacant. Went into one where the basement was full of water so deep that it was leaking out of the window wells into the yard.

bartolocolon.jpeg

Ha! I can't even remember the last time I thought about this guy. :hfive: for resurrecting that from the recesses of my mind!

He was Big Sexy before Jomez ever had that duo.

Last edited:
The direction of this conversation is interesting, since Paige Pierce, the topic of conversation, is in stellar physical condition.

An empty house that isn't regularly maintained quickly turns to sh!t.

When my wife and I were buying our first house, our budget was really tight and we toured a ton of foreclosed houses. Even though most were winterized, there was significant issues with all of them due to being left vacant. Went into one where the basement was full of water so deep that it was leaking out of the window wells into the yard.

and if you're talking long term then you're paying so much interest that you could've bought 2 houses for that amount. Property taxes in Hawaii aren't cheap. Cost of living isn't cheap. Long term, there's a lot of expensive maintenance involved. It's a humid climate. Paige is going to need a new job to cover the costs long term. A lot of people in Hawaii are poor.

Stock market is almost always going to be better than real estate long term. If you play it right of course......

Last edited: