• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

I think PP definitely made a statement to those that think, myself included, that perhaps the FPO field was starting to catch up to her and that maybe she wouldn't dominate like the past several years.

As great as Paige played (and she played great), Hailey simply didn't show up.

If Hailey "plays to her rating," during the final round, Paige still wins... but her margin of victory isn't quite so huge, and Hailey likely has a realistic shot of winning up until the last 4-5 holes.

Hailey's quite young, and her upside is huge.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would have been cool to see King press Paige the whole round. That said, she played exactly like you'd expect someone to play in her position, I would think. It was her first time on lead card in a major, I believe?

She certainly seem rattled by how the round started, which seemed to then effect her, putt especially, for the whole round. But that kind of thing happens to most everyone. Dropping strokes an each of the first 4 holes, with pars, when you are two behind the best player in the world, will do that to you.

I think PP definitely made a statement to those that think, myself included, that perhaps the FPO field was starting to catch up to her and that maybe she wouldn't dominate like the past several years.

the europeans, travel permitting, offer the best competition to her IMO

Yeah, it would have been cool to see King press Paige the whole round. That said, she played exactly like you'd expect someone to play in her position, I would think. It was her first time on lead card in a major, I believe?

She certainly seem rattled by how the round started, which seemed to then effect her, putt especially, for the whole round. But that kind of thing happens to most everyone. Dropping strokes an each of the first 4 holes, with pars, when you are two behind the best player in the world, will do that to you.
FWIW - Hailey handled the pressure amazingly well in the final round of the 2020 DGPT Championship... tied with Paige after 18 holes, and won the playoff with $20K on the line.

Although you can get help and tips, ultimately, everyone has to figure out how to rise to the occasion for themselves. Figuring out how to do that week in and week out is a huge part of what makes the greats, great...in any sport.

the europeans, travel permitting, offer the best competition to her IMO

I would love to find out. They have seen limited success, it would be great to see some of them go on tour full time. I think the jury is still out, as to their ability to compete week in and week out.

I would love to find out. They have seen limited success, it would be great to see some of them go on tour full time. I think the jury is still out, as to their ability to compete week in and week out.

A fast look at Eveliinas results when she played in US 2019-2020

2nd, 4th and 1st

6th, 1st, 4th in European open and 2nd at Worlds

And Henna was top 4 in all the US tournaments she played in 2019-2020

How is that "limited success"?

Sample size? How many events did they play against top ranked competition?

I'd love to see them competing against Paige, Cat, Hailey, Sarah, Missy, and Heather, now.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Sample size? How many events did they play against top ranked competition?

Tattar in 2019:
6 events in the US

6th (worlds)- 2 other Euro ladies ahead of her
3 seconds
2 firsts including a Major (USWDGC)

IMO the touring women in the US wind up somewhat over-rated due to the bubble they play in (separate course setups), the local players who step into the bubble at various events (in general lack the distance to handle the courses), and the nature of the courses they play. The European ladies on the other hand have played the vast majority of their rounds on the same courses as the men so have more legit ratings IMO.

Last edited:
Sure the sample size is not great. . but everytime they have played against the best players they have done well and the are the 3rd and 4th highest ranked players in the world.

I would like to see them play every big tournament. . .but not easy to fly half way around the world and stay for months to follow the tour

Sure the sample size is not great. . but everytime they have played against the best players they have done well and the are the 3rd and 4th highest ranked players in the world.

I would like to see them play every big tournament. . .but not easy to fly half way around the world and stay for months to follow the tour

I think that's kind of the point. How many events are they playing here in a regular year? Versus how many tourneys Paige is playing a year? Even if they are In contention at every event they are in, it's not gonna be a "weekly push".

As great as Paige played (and she played great), Hailey simply didn't show up.

If Hailey "plays to her rating," during the final round, Paige still wins... but her margin of victory isn't quite so huge, and Hailey likely has a realistic shot of winning up until the last 4-5 holes.

Hailey's quite young, and her upside is huge.

It will be fun to watch the FPO division develop over next few years. There are a number of good up and coming young players.

I think that's kind of the point. How many events are they playing here in a regular year? Versus how many tourneys Paige is playing a year? Even if they are In contention at every event they are in, it's not gonna be a "weekly push".
They had limited opportunities, and they showed out in all of them it seems. I get that it isn't the same as doing it "weekly" but I also believe it is tough to get in rhythm for specific events if you're not competing every week. If not for CoVid I think we'd have seen a bit more of a sustained run out of all of them against the US touring competition.

The top 3 European women have played a total of 20 individual events in 2019 and 2020 where the best American women were present. I included the European Open with the events they played in the US.

They have:
1st- 4 (one Major)
2nd- 7
3rd- 3
4th- 3
5th- 1
6th- 2

FWIW - Hailey handled the pressure amazingly well in the final round of the 2020 DGPT Championship... tied with Paige after 18 holes, and won the playoff with $20K on the line.

Although you can get help and tips, ultimately, everyone has to figure out how to rise to the occasion for themselves. Figuring out how to do that week in and week out is a huge part of what makes the greats, great...in any sport.

To be fair, a 1032 rated round would be challenging for most players to keep up with.

3 of the top 5 FPO players are European. Next year (travel restrictions not withstanding) will show that.

The professionalism that is in the sport in Estonia/Finland is something else and it is going to reflect very soon at the top end of competitions in MPO too.

We will have a European FPO World champ in the next two years and MPO in the next 5 (bold prediction ready to come back and bite me in the a*s!) We'll also see Worlds in Scandinavia soon as well I'd warrant with live TV coverage and one helluva show.

We will have a European FPO World champ in the next two years and MPO in the next 5 (bold prediction ready to come back and bite me in the a*s!) We'll also see Worlds in Scandinavia soon as well I'd warrant with live TV coverage and one helluva show.

2 out of 3 ain't bad... ;)