• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Through 15 holes at the USWDGC Paige playing well and very smart (zero OB strokes). 5 under and looking very focused.

We know Paige is sad about not reaching 1000 rating yet. The good news is to reach 1000, you just have to average that rating for 12 months of competition. All of the rounds in your current rating will not be included your rating 12 months from now (presuming you play at least 8 rated rounds). Each time you play an event where you average 1000 or higher is the start a new 12-month quest.

I thought the way she phrased some things in the section on the nick and matt podcast was kinda weird. paige said:

In my mind it's like so sad that like years worth of hard work can disappear over 4 tournaments. And I don't know if I'm saying that we need a new system or a new way for it to work, but it seems a little bit unfair that so many years of good shooting can be erased by 4 tournaments. but I try to not get into the ratings too much

can you imagine if ratings actually DID take the last 4 years into account?! that'd be pretty nuts

Judging distance is a skill same as assessing risk or throwing a disc.

I agree so much with this. I hate seeing range finders on the course. As an avid hunter and shooting sports enthusiast, I've developed very good distance estimating skills over the years. Absolutely pays off on the course. It's a pity that that skill gets to be diminished.

I can see it being especially noticable on those wide open golf courses. It's very tough to judge a distance to a target when there's no points of reference anywhere around. It's easy to be wayyyy off. But now it's nothing, just pop out our range finder (found at the link in the description below) and get the right distance.

I agree so much with this. I hate seeing range finders on the course. As an avid hunter and shooting sports enthusiast, I've developed very good distance estimating skills over the years. Absolutely pays off on the course. It's a pity that that skill gets to be diminished.

I can see it being especially noticable on those wide open golf courses. It's very tough to judge a distance to a target when there's no points of reference anywhere around. It's easy to be wayyyy off. But now it's nothing, just pop out our range finder (found at the link in the description below) and get the right distance.
As someone incapable of binocular vision I'm very appreciative of them and can't wait to own one.

I've always understood that judging distance was absolutely not a skill and that you get what your brain gives you.

So did she honestly not understand that the most recent 25% of rounds carry double the weight? And didn't think her rating would decrease as much as it did?

I've worked plenty of sales positions in the past and it is not uncommon for goals to consist of a longer term year over year number as well as some type of recent trend (60, 90, 120 day data or whatever). The idea is that you want long term improvement but the most immediate history also provides insight, and a lot of people would argue a more accurate depiction than just a year long average.

Suggesting there is an issue with the ratings system without addressing specifically the shortcomings and what can be done to improve them doesn't really get you anywhere. It's just an empty complaint at that point.

I've been pretty indifferent to Paige for most of her career (and really any player - as in I can't say I'm a big "fan" nor do I dislike any player really, I like watching players be competitive and I like watching good disc golf) - I've been pretty turned off with these latest antics, and her rally to get other players to side with her mindset of "disc golf needs to conform to my liking" She's got such a negative attitude right now, and trying to drag others with her. Makes me appreciate even more those that really seem to enjoy what they're doing, and at least put on an air of positivity. I may be wrong, but "the sport" seems to be doing so much to support and promote women's disc golf, and to be completely shot down by the loudest voice in the sport is not attractive to me.. I can't see how it would be attractive to her sponsors.. maybe she's in a position now where she is no longer needing to appease her sponsors.. maybe I'm completely off base, just some of my thoughts recently.

She's been touring for 12 years now. Make any cross reference to anyone that's been on the road for 12 years straight; and I think you will find some fatigue/new modes of thought in evidence.

As a person, who in completely different realms, knows what it feels like to be underpaid/under appreciated financially, for large stretches of time, a bit of understanding should be considered regarding that as well. ...keeping in mind that she's still "relatively new" to getting paid. So, she's dealing with a rather completely new mindset/set of "responsibilities".

Paige seems like her head and her game are in about as good a place as she could hope for.

It was interesting to hear her say she was nervous when the day started, and that Hailey's early miscues allowed her to relax. Stretching a 2 stroke lead to 5 in the 1st 2 holes is definitely gonna help you stay loose.

Regardless, Paige looked very Paige-like today.

One statement might be that courses don't have to be long for players to demonstrate their skills and get scoring separation.

Not the statement I was thinking of but you are correct, that might be one statement, lol.

Another one could be that a professional athlete can make choices for their career and voice opinions, and still dominate the field.

Not the statement I was thinking of but you are correct, that might be one statement, lol.

Another one could be that a professional athlete can make choices for their career and voice opinions, and still dominate the field.

And before says anything about white knighting or any nonsense like that, this IS the Paige Pierce thread and I am impressed that she won by as much as she did against a solid FPO field.

I didn't watch any of the tourney and am not familiar with the courses they played at all, so I am not able to comment on any of that, lol.

Latest posts