• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par question

Just count your strokes. I think it's always a safe bet to play everything as a par 3, as most courses *generally* are all or mostly par 3.

Yeah just play em all as par 3's, if you play PDGA tourneys that's how they score par regardless of hole length and it's a good way to push yourself to do better on each hole.

Yeah just play em all as par 3's, if you play PDGA tourneys that's how they score par regardless of hole length and it's a good way to push yourself to do better on each hole.

I gotta disagree with this. Granted, a lot of courses would be considered all par 3 holes, but it's not always the case. Especially since the penalty for missing a hole in a tournament (being late or something like that) is par plus 2 strokes, which means a player could get a 5 on a 1000 foot hole through the woods simply by not showing up. The legitimate par 4's and 5's in the disc golf world are usually labeled as such.

I gotta disagree with this. Granted, a lot of courses would be considered all par 3 holes, but it's not always the case. Especially since the penalty for missing a hole in a tournament (being late or something like that) is par plus 2 strokes, which means a player could get a 5 on a 1000 foot hole through the woods simply by not showing up.

Does this count if I'm seen at the basket of hole 9 but nobody sees me on hole ten? Because I'd totally take a 5 on the 911' hole at baker. The time the other guys are spending...I'll go eat a sandwich and come back at 11 :)

\/\/

I gotta disagree with this. Granted, a lot of courses would be considered all par 3 holes, but it's not always the case. Especially since the penalty for missing a hole in a tournament (being late or something like that) is par plus 2 strokes, which means a player could get a 5 on a 1000 foot hole through the woods simply by not showing up. The legitimate par 4's and 5's in the disc golf world are usually labeled as such.

That's par plus FOUR strokes, not two.

My advice to the original poster is to not sweat "par". Results are the total number of throws, regardless of what "par" is. All-par-3 is scorekeeping shorthand; easy to keep your score in your head on most courses.

Judging on how you're in Grants Pass OR... and that Tom Pearce, Riverside, and Lake Selmac would be your home courses... Par 3. I don't recall anything out there being anything but a 3.
DSCJNKY

Yeah just play em all as par 3's, if you play PDGA tourneys that's how they score par regardless of hole length......

What??? When I played the USDGC course last year I recall playing tons of 4's and 5's. That's the second largest PDGA event of the year... all the top pros are there... and none of them are were scoring by "Pro-Par".
DSCJNKY

Looks at calendar... hmmm
Looks at date shedhorn joined DGCR... hmmm. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

But I won't lose an opportunity to pontificate about par, especially since the antediluvean "everything is par 3" crowd is still alive and well. Besides I have a reputation to maintain. ;)

So if you're really serious with this question you should check out Close Range Par.

(And if you really want to do more research you can also check out the DGCR Par threads.)

Looks at calendar... hmmm
Looks at date shedhorn joined DGCR... hmmm. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Another case of Olorin's great detective work. I didn't even think about the date... or the number of posts he had. I just started answering the question... damn he got me.
DSCJNKY

Just keep your total score at the end of the round - 51, 57, 63, or whatever. Welcome to the forum.

Par is always 3.

100 ft hole = par 3.

1000 ft hole = par 3.

3 is always par.

Par is always 3.

actually the rule is par +4 if you are not there to tee off. most courses are played as all par 3's, newer courses are definitely moving towards a higher true pro par.