• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

Finally got to borrow one to make a putt. 27 footer, putts I have been angrily missing in quantity the last few days -sidenote, I have never had so many 27 foot putts as I have had in the last few days - and borrowing his Luna, easily sunk the putt. Not only felt great coming out of the hand, but felt confident I could easily make that putt over and over again.

Not calling it magical or a silver bullet yet.

During a break, I purchased one of my own after already playing 57 holes today, with 18 yesterday and 27 on Thursday using the same putter pairs (Dagger and Rune). For the quick fun round of seven holes (the back side of Kaposia), I made every putt with the Luna but one, including two Circle 2s. Only missed putt was from a bad stance from over 35 feet away. It splashed out pro side.

Finished the day at a small 9 hole course with plenty of opportunities for driving and approaching with the Luna. Only one misfire against two almost-aces. I missed three putts this round; one from hitting pipe square from 27 feet but somehow still bouncing out, another from a turbo-putt from within a pine tree (which I did make with a Star Aviar3 after readjusting my stance to take a fun putt), and an easy 10-footer because I did not take off my bag which caused me to pull it weakside.

I sound like a homer, but wow, I was impressed. I am genuinely excited how easily it worked for my style of play, that there was no learning curve. I am not calling it magical, but it might be the perfect putter for my game. I felt comfortable driving, approaching, and putting from any distance, and that would instantly replace the two putter combo I have been running for the last year. I spent some gift certificate money and picked up a few more so I can seriously putt them through their paces this week. I will have a better idea of how well they work by the end of league on Thursday.

Finally got to borrow one to make a putt. 27 footer, putts I have been angrily missing in quantity the last few days -sidenote, I have never had so many 27 foot putts as I have had in the last few days - and borrowing his Luna, easily sunk the putt. Not only felt great coming out of the hand, but felt confident I could easily make that putt over and over again.

Not calling it magical or a silver bullet yet.

During a break, I purchased one of my own after already playing 57 holes today, with 18 yesterday and 27 on Thursday using the same putter pairs (Dagger and Rune). For the quick fun round of seven holes (the back side of Kaposia), I made every putt with the Luna but one, including two Circle 2s. Only missed putt was from a bad stance from over 35 feet away. It splashed out pro side.

Finished the day at a small 9 hole course with plenty of opportunities for driving and approaching with the Luna. Only one misfire against two almost-aces. I missed three putts this round; one from hitting pipe square from 27 feet but somehow still bouncing out, another from a turbo-putt from within a pine tree (which I did make with a Star Aviar3 after readjusting my stance to take a fun putt), and an easy 10-footer because I did not take off my bag which caused me to pull it weakside.

I sound like a homer, but wow, I was impressed. I am genuinely excited how easily it worked for my style of play, that there was no learning curve. I am not calling it magical, but it might be the perfect putter for my game. I felt comfortable driving, approaching, and putting from any distance, and that would instantly replace the two putter combo I have been running for the last year. I spent some gift certificate money and picked up a few more so I can seriously putt them through their paces this week. I will have a better idea of how well they work by the end of league on Thursday.

Hey if the disc works it works. I just found about a month ago that I can use Proline Titanic's as my putters as well as the Jawbreaker Magnet. I love that for shorter long putts at the 25 foot range I can run as Hard with the Proline Titanic as I can with the Jawbreaker Magnet from 35 feet max. Also the Proline plastic is better in temps over 95 F or even better after 100 F as the plastic for Jawbreaker can get too grippy even more so if plastic is the softer/broken in Jawbreaker plastic.

My local PIAS is pretty much all McBeth Discraft and Innova F2 high speed drivers at the moment.

I'm not going to throw $20 at a putter, especially when I buy the excellent but unpopular Swan 2 for $11. But they look fantastic. The swirls and colors for the most part were very cool. A little deep feeling for me maybe but comfortable.

Hope he sells a ton of discs, but not so many that I my PIAS doesn't do a Dynamic restock... went in there hoping to trade for some Stags or War Horses and the only Trillogy they had was an ancient Warship.

Probably got this from context but I left out the sentence where I explain they had 40+ Luna's on hand.

I have one of the newer Lunas. I'm not up to date on the runs.

First impression...hated it

It's pretty waxy feeling and I prefer a little more grip so I can pop it out of my hand. I was getting a lot of fade at the end.of my putt. I figure the.grip was the cause.

The shape of the disc feels fine, so I'll definitely give this more of a chance.

It's kind of interesting that a lot of the hoopla over McBeth going to Discraft is starting to wear off... and Discraft discs are not populating DGC's best seller list like they were when McBeth's sig discs began coming out.

i checked out the Lunas again in store . SOooooo I guess theres another new blend. They still had first run stamps but they felt WAY different. In a good way. Now I want to sell my original first runs haha. But yeah good news, the newest lunas I checked out feel really nice. kinda in between the proto and the first first run - more of a 'gateway SS kinda feel'

i checked out the Lunas again in store . SOooooo I guess theres another new blend. They still had first run stamps but they felt WAY different. In a good way. Now I want to sell my original first runs haha. But yeah good news, the newest lunas I checked out feel really nice. kinda in between the proto and the first first run - more of a 'gateway SS kinda feel'

Still in the $20 range w/ tax?

Still in the $20 range w/ tax?

uhhh good question, I actually didn't see a price.. I sure would HOPE NOT. but...idk. I will admit they felt way better than the first run and closer to the proto but more of a fuzzy grippy firm...it was good. I almost snagged a few. but I have like 10 others already

I have one of the newer Lunas. I'm not up to date on the runs.

First impression...hated it

It's pretty waxy feeling and I prefer a little more grip so I can pop it out of my hand. I was getting a lot of fade at the end.of my putt. I figure the.grip was the cause.

The shape of the disc feels fine, so I'll definitely give this more of a chance.

I liked the feel of the very early McBeth prototype, and I really liked how straight they were when I used mine for putting. The comments on the feel of the current Lunas, as well as the changes to the plastics, is disconcerting. If the current Lunas feel like Gateway a
Supersoft (which is anything but soft), that would be great. But there's just a lot of inconsistency here, and we haven't even gotten to asking how the current Lunas fly.

So I'm glad I didn't commit to the McBeth Prototype, as it appears to be forever gone and what they are putting out now is not the same thing at all, so sorry.

I liked the feel of the very early McBeth prototype, and I really liked how straight they were when I used mine for putting. The comments on the feel of the current Lunas, as well as the changes to the plastics, is disconcerting. If the current Lunas feel like Gateway a
Supersoft (which is anything but soft), that would be great. But there's just a lot of inconsistency here, and we haven't even gotten to asking how the current Lunas fly.

So I'm glad I didn't commit to the McBeth Prototype, as it appears to be forever gone and what they are putting out now is not the same thing at all, so sorry.

yeah I like the protos too. I grabbed a stack. then the first runs, but I honestly don't like them. the newest run feels closer to the proto I think. not as slick/waxy. still very firm though. I also noticed much less specks of yellow orange and red crayons in them. so that was nice.

So, just how many runs of First Run Lunas would we say that Discraft has put out now?
Maybe they all qualify as First Runs so long as they are made in the same calendar year?

So, just how many runs of First Run Lunas would we say that Discraft has put out now?
Maybe they all qualify as First Runs so long as they are made in the same calendar year?

I guess every time they change the plastic formula used to make the discs, they can call it a new run? :|

Just kidding. You (swhite) make a good point about all that...

I feel that they should have called the LUNA and KONG "trial run" . .seems like they makes a few thousand discs then makes a change in plastics or dome and makes a few more ov those and so on

Huge disappointing tournament with the Luna. Approaching, it did great, but I made only two putts outside of 15 feet but conversely missed four putts within 15 putt because they could not come out of my hand cleanly under stressful situations. Yes, the archer as much as the arrows, but today switching back to the Hard Pures, I was putting much putter. Twice I three putted, turning birdies into bogeys. Not pleased with how they are coming out of my hands.

My Luna says first run and feel like waxy garbage

How do I find one that doesn't make my hand barf?

You can try washing the disc with Dawn, I had to do that with some runs of DX Innova discs like with some of the Dragon runs like my last disc or some runs of old Pro. Still the waxy did not come off that run of last Dragon until I used the disc over water and had it sit floating in water for 7-10 minutes before the disc came to shore. So if the Dawn wash does not work get a small tub and soak the disc in it for as long as it takes to remove the wax. Remember the disc is part Jawbreaker so the disc could just have that Jawbreaker grip to it. Jawbreaker has a similar feel to old Pro after the gloss has worked into the disc, a rubbery grip but Jawbreaker is not as waxy as old Pro when worked into the disc, also like putter R-Pro but not the stiff Wahoo driver R-Pro.

The only Lunas I have felt were all labeled first run. There were about 10 at the same store. All were super stiff. More than any Trilogy Hard and most Gateway Soft that I own. I am not sure about the waxy feeling people are describing, but these did not feel like what I think of when I hear waxy. I would not call them gritty (like early Fossil plastic that I have that is definitely a little gritty) but not slick either. Felt like a good blend even if I have no interest in the mold.

Last edited: