• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

I dunno... that pebbly, gritty feel was a really important reason why I liked the McBeth Proto so much (that, and it kept going in the basket! :thmbup: ). I'll wait a while for the hoopla and prices to settle down before seeing about trying a production Luna...

ill be the guinea pig - im gonna get some first runs and report back ;)

The Zone has 4/3/0/3 and is way more overstable.

What sense does it make to number the Luna 3/3/0/3? Not even marketingwise I see any.

yeah its official too not just a mistake - I saw the Paul IN THE BAG and it shows his 2 putters, Luna's and Zone's and the Luna comes up on the screen 3/3/0/3 then shows a straight flight, then Zone 4/3/0/3 and its just a meathook, so 1 tick of speed makes all that difference????? I don't think so

HOW

THE

HELL

did they stamp a 3 for fade???????????? no way in hell - its 1, MAYBE a 2, but should be a 1 or 1.5 good lord that's dumb and confusing, way to go discrap - dummies :D

DISCRAFT says

"You may have noticed the flight numbers on the Luna have been updated. This is to better reflect the true flight of Luna, the disc mold has not changed."

Very strange indeed

I really wonder if Discraft did that just to mock the four-number flight number system, which they never used until very recently. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

Nothing a little acetone can't fix hahaha - I'm removing those flight numbers immediately. and in my mind that shizt is gonna be 3/3/0/1 hahahaha myueahahahahah MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Further proof that flight numbers are just marketing bull****

But what marketing advantages do you have when you number your new straightish-stable putting/driving putter like your popular meethook utility putter?

The Luna numbers 3/3/0/3 are similar to the P3 numbers, which in the beginning were 3/2/0/3. Later they corrected them to 3/2/0/2, which much better reflects the actual flight. From what I've seen, the Luna flight should be pretty close to a P3 flight. Even a new P3 is not close to a worn in Zone. Now one may say: different companies, different number meanings. But Zone and Luna are from the same company and their most important player has exactly those two putter molds in this bag. It makes no sense to me.

Interestingly, however, the Discraft stability ratings are much different and seem to be pretty good: Zone with 2.0 and Luna with 1.0. Maybe they should get the four numbers flight system explained again. ;-)

But what marketing advantages do you have when you number your new straightish-stable putting/driving putter like your popular meethook utility putter?

The Luna numbers 3/3/0/3 are similar to the P3 numbers, which in the beginning were 3/2/0/3. Later they corrected them to 3/2/0/2, which much better reflects the actual flight. From what I've seen, the Luna flight should be pretty close to a P3 flight. Even a new P3 is not close to a worn in Zone. Now one may say: different companies, different number meanings. But Zone and Luna are from the same company and their most important player has exactly those two putter molds in this bag. It makes no sense to me.

Interestingly, however, the Discraft stability ratings are much different and seem to be pretty good: Zone with 2.0 and Luna with 1.0. Maybe they should get the four numbers flight system explained again. ;-)

I never could figure out the Discraft one-number system, which is THE biggest reason I never tried Discraft discs. (Side note: I wonder how many millions in sales Discraft lost because they refused to use the four-number system until last year...).

I do know the Zone and Hornet are 2.0 rated, and both are very overstable, as in a fade of 3 or 4. So the 1 rating must be pretty overstable (like a "2" fade in four-number system), and 0.5 slightly overstable

The McBeth Prototype was 0 rated, which to me is straight... and the McB Prototype is just that.

So the Luna is "1", which is not the mild fade of a Marshal or Aviar P&A??? Sounds like Discraft is harming themselves again with these badly misrepresentative numbers.

So for those curious about the Luna, I have a shop near me and while I obviously couldn't buy any of the new releases, I did get to feel them. The Luna's, I think I have re fallen in love with them. Because of the new blend there's less rubber. Well that also means they don't get as stiff in the cold and while they aren't gritty anymore they feel slightly grippier. Basically if there was a stock firm variant of the existing jawbreaker blend, this would be it. I'm excited to get these into my practice basket. Basically Friday can't get here soon enough!

Basically if there was a stock firm variant of the existing jawbreaker blend, this would be it.

Sounds like the OG/JB or CT/JB or whatever they're running for limited edition Wasps and putters recently. I suppose that kills my dream of a decent firm mid grade plastic from discraft for a decent mid grade plastic price.

I never could figure out the Discraft one-number system, which is THE biggest reason I never tried Discraft discs. (Side note: I wonder how many millions in sales Discraft lost because they refused to use the four-number system until last year...).

I do know the Zone and Hornet are 2.0 rated, and both are very overstable, as in a fade of 3 or 4. So the 1 rating must be pretty overstable (like a "2" fade in four-number system), and 0.5 slightly overstable

The McBeth Prototype was 0 rated, which to me is straight... and the McB Prototype is just that.

So the Luna is "1", which is not the mild fade of a Marshal or Aviar P&A??? Sounds like Discraft is harming themselves again with these badly misrepresentative numbers.

Once i started to throw Discraft i actually started to like the "one number system" i think it more tells you were the dics will end up than the 4-number system does

If i put som one numbers on Innova discs ( blasphemy i know hehe )

Nova 0.0
Aviar3 1.0
Aviar X3 2.0
Pig 2.5

I think the Marshal would be a 0.5

Many Discraft disc have wierd 4-numbers. .the LUNA more so than others

No one tried the LUNA vs PROTO yet? I want to order some but waiting for reviews on which of the two to stock up on

Felt up a new Luna yesterday. First impression is the plastic is exactly what I'd like for putting and a mid cycle, firm and grippy. Gonna retail for $18.99 per dude at the shop.

As much as I hate the price escalation, I'd buy some Roaches in this plastic at that price.

There's an odd part of me that wants to get one...but if I like it and the production runs retail that much...I can't justify using a mid-grade putter that costs more than premium plastic.

$15.99 at Infinite. Might be a little more than mid-grade, but not much really.

I picked one up just to try out the plastic....

There's an odd part of me that wants to get one...but if I like it and the production runs retail that much...I can't justify using a mid-grade putter that costs more than premium plastic.

The struggle is real!

I really like the JB Roach for a stable/flippy approach disc so I'd keep it as my thrower. Who knows if they'll even run the Roach in this plastic. If they do and if it's reasonably durable, I can justify it as strictly a putter. I have several D line and JB for practice.

I'd say Discraft's investment in McBeth is paying off nicely so far.

The struggle is real!

I really like the JB Roach for a stable/flippy approach disc so I'd keep it as my thrower. Who knows if they'll even run the Roach in this plastic. If they do and if it's reasonably durable, I can justify it as strictly a putter. I have several D line and JB for practice.

I'd say Discraft's investment in McBeth is paying off nicely so far.

I agree...I went to my local PIAS and didn't pick up a Luna...not paying 18.99 for mid plastic. I however will pay that for a McBeth 1st run Buzzz...at least I already throw Buzzzes.

well I ordered 4 of them so ill know pretty dang soon. From what I heard its the same just not bumpy/gritty - maybe a touch more grippiness and flight MAY have a touch more fade. That's all hearsay so IDK.

But I will report like a crazy person once I get to test them, and since spring is coming back I may actually be able to putt in my back yard. so...........soooooooon