• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

Gotta pay McBeth lol :gross:

You're correct, of course, but an added factor might be the cost of the materials to make the Luna. Even paying McBeth, they're not going to charge more than they have to, or they'll price themselves right out of the market.

Gotta pay McBeth lol :gross:

Or me, Magnet Guy but not the soft since those are even softer now when new after 2006 year. Trust me I picked one up in later 2006 when plastic changed or in 2007 and it was floppy as the softest run of Wizard ever made not like a Rubbery disc it had been the way Lighting Prostyle is in flexibility.

Gotta love it when disc golfers complain about pocket change.

"A frisbee cost more than zero dollars, lets cry about it"

Get a job.....and off my lawn

I don't know, 20 bucks for a disc that you can buy for 8 when it has a different stamp. It's so not worth it

Econ 101: An object or service is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Yep. Also basic econ: there is no absolute value, only perceived value. People often perceive value through comparison to similar objects or services. So whether or not $20 a disc is "pocket change" to some, people are going to compare the Luna to options in similar plastic grades that cost $10-$11 (like a KC Pro Aviar, Jawbreaker Roach, X-Line Roach, etc.). $20 may be perceived as expensive unless there are some other features about the disc that are perceived as making the extra cost worthwhile.

Tangible justifications for the extra cost might be: flight, feel, and wear pattern of the disc are unique in some way. Intangible justifications: supporting Paul McBeth, new and cool factor, feeling more premium due to paying more, etc.

$20/disc is not crazy right now, when hype is still at all-time highs. McPro Aviars moved like hot cakes at $14/disc. Probably long-term the price will come down a little bit.

Yep. Also basic econ: there is no absolute value, only perceived value. People often perceive value through comparison to similar objects or services. So whether or not $20 a disc is "pocket change" to some, people are going to compare the Luna to options in similar plastic grades that cost $10-$11 (like a KC Pro Aviar, Jawbreaker Roach, X-Line Roach, etc.). $20 may be perceived as expensive unless there are some other features about the disc that are perceived as making the extra cost worthwhile.

Tangible justifications for the extra cost might be: flight, feel, and wear pattern of the disc are unique in some way. Intangible justifications: supporting Paul McBeth, new and cool factor, feeling more premium due to paying more, etc.

How about instead of "similar plastic grades" we use the fact that discraft has used this rubber blend before.

The only times it was used before paul got to discraft(correct me if im wrong) was for Nate Doss tour series challengers that sell well at roughly 15$+.
Then you get a disc prototype co-designed by the best player in the world.

Value is up to ones self.....Hating is much easier to spot

I don't know, 20 bucks for a disc that you can buy for 8 when it has a different stamp. It's so not worth it

Nope ^^^ that blend was never available for under 10$. I think sunking had a special run of rubber blends for 12.99 for black friday. Cheap as they got

I have seen some calling this putter shallow. It is not shallow at all. Maybe compared to a Dagger, but not to actual shallow putters.

Feel of the Luna next to a Tui, Pure, Atom, Wedge...

Then compare it with a Roach, Avair pna, Wizard, VooDoo...

It is apparent that it is a standard profile putter.

Love the original blend of plastic though. I would not want it any softer.

^^^I think the smooth rounded bottom makes it feel shallow, because it doesn't dig into the fingers. Take a P2 for instance. Same rim depth and just .1 cm taller, but feels much deeper to me than the Luna or Roach.

^^
Ok, that makes sense if one is gripping the disc where the bottom of the rim is not in the crease of the first finger.

To me, round bottomed discs feel deeper as they won't fit into the crease of my finger. A putter has to be Atom thin for me to putt with it without a bead.

It's more clear to me now why some consider this shallow.

^^
Ok, that makes sense if one is gripping the disc where the bottom of the rim is not in the crease of the first finger.

To me, round bottomed discs feel deeper as they won't fit into the crease of my finger. A putter has to be Atom thin for me to putt with it without a bead.

It's more clear to me now why some consider this shallow.

It's also flatter than most putters with the same profile where you would typically find a rounded dome. Think aviar p&a

It's also flatter than most putters with the same profile where you would typically find a rounded dome. Think aviar p&a

Dome matters little to me, my thumb is near the edge. With all the dome the Wizard has, it feels lower profile than the Luna.

This goes to show how little a single data point matters, but rather the whole. To each their own.

Last edited:
Dome matters little to me, my thumb is near the edge. With all the dome the Wizard has, it feels lower profile than the Luna.

This goes to show how little a single data point matters, but rather the whole. To each their own.

That's a good point. Despite the numbers, it comes down to grip...and we have so many little variations for putting. As in ball golf, the green is the only place where there is no consensus on what grip is best.

More on the Luna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opoKJyuzLM
Not much on the manufacturing or selection of plastic and profile. It'd be nice if ep. 2 covered that...

Paul talked about the LUNA on Smashboxx and in short he said that the Rubber compound they used for the PROTO ( i think he said white rubber ) was not beeing made anymore so they had to take another rubber ( black rubber? ) for the LUNA

The change made the texture of the LUNA different from the PROTO

Paul talked about the LUNA on Smashboxx and in short he said that the Rubber compound they used for the PROTO ( i think he said white rubber ) was not beeing made anymore so they had to take another rubber ( black rubber? ) for the LUNA

Today he interviewed with Johnny, and said it would be smoother: https://youtu.be/4o4Euv7mn0M?t=227

Today he interviewed with Johnny, and said it would be smoother: https://youtu.be/4o4Euv7mn0M?t=227

This is extremely disappointing to hear. I have one PM prototype, and I liked the firmness and the pebbly texture. It was the first 'non-slick' putter that I actually liked (I normally like the fairly slick Classic/ZeroHard/BTHard). I'm going to wait a while before considering getting a 'tweaked' Luna; they're too expensive to gamble on getting one that I might not like at all...