• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth

Anyone heard when PMcB will playing again?

I use a wide rail on low power shots to maintain similar backhand timing with less shoulder turn. It allows you to feel the weight of the swing and still extend your arm in the backswing without taking your eyes off of the target.

Paul doesn't wide rail all the time, it's just a tool in his toolkit. Here's an above-average-power drive where you can see an extended door frame pull instead of a forced wide rail:

Screenshot-2023-08-22-at-10.35.03-AM.jpg

Some people also claim it adds more spin and affects the flight, which might be another reason he uses it.

I borrow this thread to ask a question regarding the Goat's form. Here is a video of him throwing a slight hyzer. What I see is that he strides way more than 20 degrees off the target line and to avoid rounding, he sort of pushes the disc out in his backswing. Is this really how he normally strides? 45 or more degrees off the target line with a swing outside of posture?

Looks like he is trying to shape some low power shot. Striding too much the west/left can cause rounding/slack. If you don't turn your shoulders back very much, then you must keep the arm/disc out wider to the west/left to avoid rounding or hugging yourself. Paul is turned much further back here below and throwing a slight turnover and everything is more inside posture, but the upper arm/shoulder angle is basically the same, just turned further back for full power shot.

1) PM is throwing a very skilled and deliberate shot, where disc flight, edge control, and distance control are his primary focus. Much different "approach" than a more powerful throw.

2) Be careful drawing 2D lines on a video/image and using it as a reference. If compared to another image, the camera angle/perspective has to be very close to exact in order to have any meaningful benefit. Of the 3 images above, none seem to be even close to the same perspective.

3) On another note, it is always enjoyable watching PM throw anything, even a baseball. He was given the gift of world class coordination and it is always evident when watching his grace and timing in movement.

Remember when this was actually something that could happen? Good ol' days.
Definitely worth going back and searching his post history
1) PM is throwing a very skilled and deliberate shot, where disc flight, edge control, and distance control are his primary focus. Much different "approach" than a more powerful throw.

2) Be careful drawing 2D lines on a video/image and using it as a reference. If compared to another image, the camera angle/perspective has to be very close to exact in order to have any meaningful benefit. Of the 3 images above, none seem to be even close to the same perspective.

3) On another note, it is always enjoyable watching PM throw anything, even a baseball. He was given the gift of world class coordination and it is always evident when watching his grace and timing in movement.

Thanks Chris. Agree on all counts. In that last case, the angles I chose were intentionally different but I'd immediately agree that it can obscure the point in general unless there's already a "3D" appreciation of what ties the 2D views and perspectives together.

On point 3, Paul is one of the people who I find totally mesmerizing to watch. I hope he keeps playing for a long time.

I got to caddy for my nephew last year at USDGC and he played a practice round with PM. It was a masterclass in how to play Winthrop Gold. Just 2 caddies, my nephew and PM. Life imitating art.

@sidewinder22, didn't he reference using the hershyzer somewhere before? I thought I remember that, but couldnt find the thread.

Classics: